We just returned from a trip to Japan (will post a trip report soon -- you all were very helpful in crafting our itinerary) and are itching to get back to Asia. We've settled on 11 days in Vietnam for the first half of March -- we know it's not long, but it's the most we can get swing once our travel from New York is taken into account.
We've decided to spend the brunt of our time in Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hoi An and Da Nang (for some beach time.) I really wanted to get up to Sapa to see the terraced rice fields but it just doesn't look feasible with the amount of time we have. Are there other options for overnight or day trips close to the main cities we're planning to visit that would afford us some nature? For an idea of what we're into, I loved the vistas of rice paddies in Bali and Kamikochi in the Japanese Alps. We'd love to do a (relatively easy) bike ride or hike.
Here's the rough itinerary I just started crafting (I know it seems fast-paced, but we want to err on the side of moving quickly on this trip to see as much as possible. We found we didn't need as much time as we though in each place in Japan.)
Wednesday, March 4: Arrive evening
Thursday, March 5: Hanoi
Friday, March 6: Hanoi
Saturday, March 7: To Halong Bay, morning. Overnight in Halong Bay
Sunday, March 8: Halong Bay, back to Hanoi at night
Monday, March 9: Da Nang
Tuesday, March 10: Da Nang
Wednesday, March 11: Hoi An
Thursday, March 12: Hoi An
Friday, March 13: Day trip? [This can be moved if day trip is more accessible to another location.]
Saturday, March 14: Back to Hanoi
Sunday, March 15: Flight home in the evening
Also, any thoughts on Da Nang? It doesn't seem as nice as other beaches in Vietnam (I would have loved to have gone to Phu Quoc) but I think it will be worth it for us to stay there to minimize our travel time. (Plus we have some free hotel nights we can use for a nice place there.) But if it's really not nice, please let me know -- we really love beaches.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Best One World Flight Routing For Indonesia: September, 2018
- 2 Tokyo-to do and districts
- 3 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 4 What island to visit while visiting HongKong
- 5 Advice on hotels in Shinjuku
- 6 Why Should I include Colombo in my tour itinerary?
- 7 New Years in Japan
- 8 A Victory Day Tour
- 9 Traffic and Police in India
- 10 India visa for new passport
- 11 Osaka Food Guide - Travel Report
- 12 Best natural wonders in Japan?
- 13 Tuk Tuk Driver For Cochin
- 14 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 15 Serendipity Srilanka
- 16 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 17 New Thai Visa
- 18 What outwear would you pack for late August?
- 19 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 20 Sri Lanka in December
- 21 Travel Report Turkmenistan (Ashgabat - Gas Crater - Konye Urgench)
- 22 january 31 in colombo
- 23 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 24 Sulawesi - Tanah Toraja, Lake Tempe and Ramang Ramang
- 25 Need ideas: Himeji? Osaka? Fukuchiyama area? Kinosaki