The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winter waters (Arabian Sea), and enjoy the nature and local Keralite culture.
Photos (scenery, hotels, food):
For background on us, please see our first trip report here:
As our four-day trip was short, we flew into Kochi airport and flew out of Trivandrum, to avoid driving back.
DAY 1 - Backwater cruise from Alleppey, across Lake Vembanad, to Kumarakom
DAY 2 - Drive down coast to Varkala Beach
DAY 3 & 4 - Beachtime
- Pack mosquito repellent, sanitizer wipes, soap flakes, Imodium (in case!) and flashlight (power outages are frequent if brief)
- Most universal plug adapters do not fit, so bring an India-specific one
- Drink bottled water. If sensitive stomach, use bottled for teeth brushing
- Service charge is often not included on bills, we left 10 - 15%
- Exchanges are closed Sundays, however ATMs are easy to find
Details of places visited to follow ...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 helping: AVAST Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:681 :7208 AVAST ANTIVIRUS 24*7
- 2 US : YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:800:540 :6830 YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 3 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 4 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 5 Twin rooms in Japan
- 6 sri lanka- tips required
- 7 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 8 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 9 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 10 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 11 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 12 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 13 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 14 Christmas in the Alps
- 15 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 16 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 17 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 18 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 19 Laos or Kerala?
- 20 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 21 Bali & Singapore in October
- 22 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 23 Singapore hotel for 3 days
- 24 Bangkok travelogue with kids (ages 5 and 3)
- 25 Ferry from Selayar to Flores
Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)