The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winter waters (Arabian Sea), and enjoy the nature and local Keralite culture.
Photos (scenery, hotels, food):
For background on us, please see our first trip report here:
As our four-day trip was short, we flew into Kochi airport and flew out of Trivandrum, to avoid driving back.
DAY 1 - Backwater cruise from Alleppey, across Lake Vembanad, to Kumarakom
DAY 2 - Drive down coast to Varkala Beach
DAY 3 & 4 - Beachtime
- Pack mosquito repellent, sanitizer wipes, soap flakes, Imodium (in case!) and flashlight (power outages are frequent if brief)
- Most universal plug adapters do not fit, so bring an India-specific one
- Drink bottled water. If sensitive stomach, use bottled for teeth brushing
- Service charge is often not included on bills, we left 10 - 15%
- Exchanges are closed Sundays, however ATMs are easy to find
Details of places visited to follow ...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 2 Shoes vs boots? Climbing Mt Bat ur in Bali
- 3 Halong Bay cruise
- 4 Six months in Inchoen / South Korea
- 5 Planning for 1 week in Vietnam
- 6 3 day tours from Bangkok
- 7 6 days itinerary advise - which company to book ?
- 8 Is this crazy?
- 9 In Seoul for one day
- 10 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 11 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 12 India help with where to go
- 13 6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with an unplanned itinerary
- 14 Hong Kong / Bangkok / Seoul / Tokyo
- 15 Taxis in Yangon
- 16 Feb 17 Itinenary (Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia)
- 17 144 Hour Visa Exception China
- 18 Jews in China. Who knew?
- 19 Shanghai Tailor?
- 20 Best of Koh Tao
- 21 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part One
- 22 Singapore or Hong Kong
- 23 Studying yoga in India
- 24 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part Two (more difficult)
- 25 Chiyoda or Shitaya area stay?
Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)