The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winter waters (Arabian Sea), and enjoy the nature and local Keralite culture.
Photos (scenery, hotels, food):
For background on us, please see our first trip report here:
As our four-day trip was short, we flew into Kochi airport and flew out of Trivandrum, to avoid driving back.
DAY 1 - Backwater cruise from Alleppey, across Lake Vembanad, to Kumarakom
DAY 2 - Drive down coast to Varkala Beach
DAY 3 & 4 - Beachtime
- Pack mosquito repellent, sanitizer wipes, soap flakes, Imodium (in case!) and flashlight (power outages are frequent if brief)
- Most universal plug adapters do not fit, so bring an India-specific one
- Drink bottled water. If sensitive stomach, use bottled for teeth brushing
- Service charge is often not included on bills, we left 10 - 15%
- Exchanges are closed Sundays, however ATMs are easy to find
Details of places visited to follow ...
Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Looking for advice on short Burma itinerary
- 2 More time in Hoi An or Nha Trang? Not beach enthusiasts
- 3 10 Day trip to Thailand - end of March
- 4 Drivers for Laos & Java
- 5 Phuket
- 6 Destination Bangkok, again
- 7 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 8 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 9 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 10 Phones in Asia
- 11 Japan in December
- 12 A Few Osaka & Kyoto Questions Kudasai!
- 13 Scouting for early retirement locations
- 14 marmot and Others - Looking for Bali Furniture Advice
- 15 Recommended reading about Nepal
- 16 India Add-on
- 17 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 18 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 19 Travel during China national week?
- 20 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)
- 21 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 22 Recommendations for a 2 week tour in ASIA (DEC. 2014)
- 23 Vietnam Itinerary - Please
- 24 Japan - Osaka - Things to see?
- 25 Best way to get from Jakarta to Balii