The southern rural province of Kerala is very different from India's urban centers: it is uncrowded, clean, with a relaxed pace - a great place to unwind, eat fresh seafood, swim in warm winter waters (Arabian Sea), and enjoy the nature and local Keralite culture.
Photos (scenery, hotels, food):
For background on us, please see our first trip report here:
As our four-day trip was short, we flew into Kochi airport and flew out of Trivandrum, to avoid driving back.
DAY 1 - Backwater cruise from Alleppey, across Lake Vembanad, to Kumarakom
DAY 2 - Drive down coast to Varkala Beach
DAY 3 & 4 - Beachtime
- Pack mosquito repellent, sanitizer wipes, soap flakes, Imodium (in case!) and flashlight (power outages are frequent if brief)
- Most universal plug adapters do not fit, so bring an India-specific one
- Drink bottled water. If sensitive stomach, use bottled for teeth brushing
- Service charge is often not included on bills, we left 10 - 15%
- Exchanges are closed Sundays, however ATMs are easy to find
Details of places visited to follow ...
Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Thailand and Southeast Asia - Advice for Lone Female
- 2 Thailand,Cambodia,Vietnam Itinerary ***Open to any suggestions
- 3 A wow spot
- 4 Myanmar itinerary help
- 5 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 6 Suggestions for time for Vietnam itinerary, please
- 7 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 8 Some advice on our latest Japan itinerary please?
- 9 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 10 6 full days in Yagoon
- 11 Phuket travel plans and hotel advise
- 12 And there goes the neighborhood........
- 13 Myanmar evisa system now working well.
- 14 Terrible experience with BLS international Houston
- 15 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 16 Can I arrive 5 days earlier then stated on VISA application?
- 17 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 18 Reading Suggestion for Burma
- 19 T Money or Seoul City Pass Plus
- 20 Considering a month in Hong Kong - Feb/15. Any apartment suggestions?
- 21 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 22 Thailand Hotel HELP
- 23 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 24 Bangkok GTG early November ?
- 25 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?