my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here
My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".
I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?
I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 2 Agoda for Myanmar hotels
- 3 Tell Me A Good Place To Stay In Darjeeling?
- 4 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 5 Ayutthaya & Bangkok - Travel Report
- 6 My plans 5 days japan 1 korea
- 7 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 8 AirAsia from DMK (vs. other airlines from BKK) to Siem Reap
- 9 Earthquake in Myanmar
- 10 Have you stayed at Dormy Inn Expres s Asakusa ?
- 11 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 12 Ferrari Hire Bangkok
- 13 A great trip in India
- 14 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 15 Burma in Jan, weather questions.
- 16 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 17 Rangoon and Lake Inle, how many days?
- 18 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 19 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 20 A new opportunity to interact with elephants in Thailand
- 21 Sulawesi
- 22 Koh Lanra + Bangkok or Siem Reap?
- 23 Direct flight from JFK/Newark to Tokyo
- 24 Day Trip in Bohol - Travel Report
- 25 Family Japan Trip August 2016
Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions