my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here
My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".
I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?
I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://wellnessfeeds.com/zytek-xl/
- 2 Bad experience with savaari.com
- 3 3 week SE Asia itinerary
- 4 Vietnam Planning
- 5 Backpacking on a budget
- 6 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 7 Kamogawa Odori/Aoi Matsuri
- 8 Hokkaido and northern Honshu itinerary advice
- 9 Japan rough itinerary
- 10 One night in Osaka
- 11 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 12 Japan for Foodies
- 13 David's Abbreviated Trip Report-Japan, Part 2-Sakura 2017
- 14 Taipei Art Scene - Travel Report
- 15 Advice itinerary trip Thailand/Laos in July
- 16 Singapore weather in August/September
- 17 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 18 Japan's Kyushu: Takachiho Gorge - Travel Report
- 19 First time going abroad
- 20 Sapporo to Lake Akan
- 21 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 22 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 23 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 24 10 Days in Japan- Itinerary Review
- 25 travel to shirakawago from kyoto
Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions