my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here
My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".
I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?
I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 2 base bangkok or manilla
- 3 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 4 Our trip to Japan. Arigato gozaimasu
- 5 Idiotic time zone question
- 6 Christmas in the Alps
- 7 Ending another Asia trip in seattle
- 8 Japan travel during Obon 2017
- 9 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 10 Mount Koya
- 11 Sometahing is wrong
- 12 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 13 Twin rooms in Japan
- 14 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 15 sri lanka- tips required
- 16 Change my Itinerary?
- 17 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 18 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 19 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 20 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 21 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 22 Impressions of India
- 23 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 24 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 25 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions