my boyfriend and I just booked a flight to Bangkok on 20.8 this year and we will return 4 weeks later, 18.9, also from Bangkok. I've searched the internet for tips and suggestions and bought three guidebooks, but I have the feeling my questions can only be answered by someone who has travelled the region by himself during these months, so I'm trying it here
My plan was to do the following route: Bangkok - (flight to) Koh Samui - Phukhet and surroundings - (flight to) Rangoon - travelling to various places in Myanmar overland, ending in Mandalay - (flight to) Chiang Mai - travelling overland from Chiang Mai to Krong Siem Reap and finally to Phnom Penh - flight back to Bangkok. I want to do some beach time in Koh Samui, as I heard the rainy season is not that bad there. Could anybody tell me if this is a tight schedule for 4 weeks? Has anybody travelled a route like that during the months of August/September (which I read are the worst in terms of rain)? Is it feasible? How "bad" is the rainy season? I've read everything from "it only rains once a day for two hours, the rest of the time the sky is clear" to "don't travel SE Asia during the rainy season, it's impossible".
I really don't want to spend all my days getting soaked, also as we'll be backpacking most of the time and not stay in the best hotels. I wouldn't mind that two-hours-downpour, but I'd rather not experience non-stop rain during one week. We also like to do stuff outdoors, like cycling or hiking... can you do that during rainy season? I already thought about not doing the mentioned itinerary, but heading towards Malaysia and Indonesia, where I've read it rains less... What are your experiences and suggestions?
I'm glad for every bit of help Thanks a lot already now!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 50th Anniversary trip
- 2 Changing planes at Dubai
- 3 "necessities" for India
- 4 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 5 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 6 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 7 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 8 14 days in Myanmar
- 9 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 10 Short trip to Myanmar
- 11 ATMs in Japan
- 12 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 13 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 14 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 15 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 16 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 17 Mandalay questions
- 18 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 19 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 20 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 21 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 22 Help - India take 2
- 23 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 24 CNX late arrival?
- 25 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
Travelling South East Asia coming August/September - A lot of questions