Me and my partner are planning for 6 months round Asia, with 2 months ideally in Indonesia.
Its all very estimate at the minute as we realistically cant afford it until 2014 - so if you cant help us at this stage I understand.
So far based on flight costs with the countries we want to see we'll fly in to Java from Japan and back out from Java to Vietnam.
So my questions are (and quite vague I apologise):
- How safe is Indonesia in general? Theft/violence/illness etc... We're new to travelling and still quite naive to be honest...
- Whats the accommodation like in general? (We're thinking either cheaper hotels or more expensive hostels, we'd really like private rooms for most of it)
- Does it tend to be cheap like Thailand or expensive like Japan? (Our Japan leg so far is costing a lot!)
- Where to go and where not to go (interested in culture- shrines and temples etc, nature- trekking etc, beaches, scuba diving and shopping. Not big drinkers really, going more for a different way of life than to drink and party! I'm a divemaster in the UK so really interested in what Indonesia has to offer in diving/snorkelling.
- How easy/cheap/comfortable it is to travel within Indonesia
- And how easy/expensive is it to obtain the required visas?
We'll be really out of our comfort zone as we're used to our lovely little flat, nice car, easy life - but we're bored and what adventure! Its going to be a shock....
Any advice or past itineraries/tours you've done that you think may be of interest would be great - I've planned Japan quite well, but I'm struggling with where to start with Indonesia!
Thanks a bunch!
P.S. I've kinda put together the below as a rough itinerary based on the cheapest flights. Just so if you see a ridiculous looking itinerary you can tell me
I know I may be going back and forth a bit but getting rough prices (based on this year however) this seems to be the cheapest. See what you think anyway
UK - JAPAN - INDONESIA - VIETNAM - PHILLIPINES - SINGAPORE - MALAYSIA -(Maybe Cambodia?)- THAILAND - UK
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 New Delhi - What to see?
- 2 Mount Kailash Trip 2016
- 3 NY Times article on Sulawesi and seeing the Torajan death rituals
- 4 Hakone accommodation options
- 5 March Trip - Where to Go?
- 6 Visa for India
- 7 Kyoto hotels - Royal Park or Citadines Karasuma?
- 8 Seoul and Japan in 3 weeks
- 9 Japan for 1 week-Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka
- 10 Xi'an advice please
- 11 Buying jewelry in India
- 12 Is there a train from Laem Chabong to Bangkok
- 13 best starting and ending point in Myanmar?
- 14 How are your experiences with Nepal?
- 15 Nature Walks and Hikes
- 16 Mid Autumn Festival China - Stay or go?
- 17 Mobile apps for Asian countries
- 18 Is it possible to do the Southeast Asian mainland on a bus?
- 19 Early planning for yet another "second trip" to Japan
- 20 Bangkok Jewelry shoping
- 21 Group (non-private) Tours of South Korea
- 22 Bus Hop-on, Hop off service in Hong Kong
- 23 Recommendation of a hotel in Hong Kong and Macau
- 24 Help with our time in Mandalay, please
- 25 Vietnam-Halong Bay overnight Cruises