I am hoping people on this forum can help with our trip planning. We are travelling to China this year, flying into Chengdu on 2nd July & flying out from Hangzhou on 15th August, giving us 6 weeks. We have previously traveled SE Asia for 3 months & also India & Nepal for 3 months, both done independently on trains & buses.The SE Asia trip, 3 weeks was planned & the rest was just as we went while the India part of our trip was all pre-planned & Nepal was just as we went, so we don't mind a mixture of both.
We are hoping to do the same in China but are a little concerned as it will be during the summer holiday period. Our main concern is whether we will need to pre-book our trains & hotels & if so how far in advance would people recommend. We will have a few days in Chengdu when we first arrive & will then take 2 weeks to travel by bus up to Xining
The trains we will be taking are
Xining to Xi'an hopefully a hard sleeper
Xi'an to Pingyao probably a day train
Pingyao to Datong also a day train
Beijing to Shanghai bullet train
We will have a couple of days in each place before leaving again so will it be feasible to book when we first arrive at that city?
With our hotels, can we have a few target hotels & just rock up ? Will that work at this time of year?
Many thanks for any help.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Other than Kyoto?
- 2 How to rent a car
- 3 Japan itinerary advice
- 4 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 5 Staying in Chaoyang, XiCheng or Dongsheng - Beijing
- 6 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 7 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 8 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 9 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 10 Trip Report : China
- 11 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 12 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 13 Japan: 34 days becomes 12 (or 17)
- 14 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 15 Japan GTG, early April
- 16 Beijing tours
- 17 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 18 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 19 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 20 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 21 A great trip in India
- 22 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 23 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 24 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 25 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area