Duck and Cover!
Office meeting, Iraq:
Colleague 1: You know Trav, we just received a cable from the State Department warning against traveling to India. Maybe you should reconsider going there for your R&R.
Pregnant Pause – Trav looks aghast at the thought of canceling her R&R.
Colleague 2: Excuse me, Colleague 1, have you noticed that she is in BAGHDAD?! Laughter all around.
Colleague 3: Yeah, Trav, hah! You might want to stay in the war zone instead of going to India! More laughter . . . I was to depart the green zone the next evening, New Year’s Eve, scheduled on the 8 pm Rhino (personnel armored vehicle).
Some of us gathered for barbecue and champagne to celebrate the holiday – it was close to the Rhino pick up point, so I dragged my suitcase there to party while I waited. Delicious ribs were smoking on the grill and we just began pouring the champagne when
Holiday interrupted: DUCK and COVER!, DUCK and COVER! – the big voice announces, you listen – and RUN! We ran to the nearest concrete bunker – not one second too soon – BOOM! It was fairly close by – Boom, Boom – a little too close for comfort. We huddled in the bunker – Happy New Year! Looks like we’re getting some fireworks for the holiday. . .
Fifteen minutes later: ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR!
Back to the party . . . but only for another fifteen minutes . . . then the big voice again: DUCK and COVER! Sirens . . . run back to the bunker –
“Somebody grab the champagne!”
“Somebody grab the cigars!”
“Somebody grab the ribs!”
RUN! Boom! The ground shakes.
Somebody wants to celebrate with us. A memorable New Year’s indeed.
Of course I am in the bunker wondering, will I get out of here tonight? Will the Rhino come? Will they bomb us all night?
ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR!
No Rhino at 8. No Rhino at 8:30. No Rhino at 9. Will I miss my R&R?!!! Damn insurgents!
But wait! What is that I see lumbering down the road? Yes! My Rhino! I don the helmet and kevlar, load up my bags and we are off to drive down “Route Irish” to the Baghdad International Airport. Seven rockets and one VBIED later, we actually make it to the airport. Looks like I might actually get out . . . and none too soon! Just one more night and I get to escape from Baghdad.
Travelaw escapes the IZ for R&R in South India
Duck and Cover!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar Itinerary Please Help?!
- 2 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 3 vietnam and laos
- 4 Trip to Borneo to See Orangutans
- 5 Travelling btwn M'asia&Jkt
- 6 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 7 Kerala Itinerary - Houseboat and Tree House Questions
- 8 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 9 Moving to KL: Sim card + Place to stay
- 10 10 Day Japan Trip - Need Some Help Choosing!
- 11 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 12 First trip to Vietnam! Help me with my itinerary please!
- 13 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 14 Travel Report to Siem Reap + Angkor + Northwest Cambodia
- 15 New Hanoi Hotel opening
- 16 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 17 Connaught Place
- 18 questions about trip to Mrauk U
- 19 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 20 My SEA trip - photos update
- 21 Bali - seeking feedback on 3-week itinerary
- 22 Which to see first - Kyoto or Tokyo?
- 23 6 Hour Layover in Hong Kong what to do
- 24 One night stand in Tokyo: what area/hotel to stay in?
- 25 You're Not Going to Japan AGAIN?