Duck and Cover!
Office meeting, Iraq:
Colleague 1: You know Trav, we just received a cable from the State Department warning against traveling to India. Maybe you should reconsider going there for your R&R.
Pregnant Pause – Trav looks aghast at the thought of canceling her R&R.
Colleague 2: Excuse me, Colleague 1, have you noticed that she is in BAGHDAD?! Laughter all around.
Colleague 3: Yeah, Trav, hah! You might want to stay in the war zone instead of going to India! More laughter . . . I was to depart the green zone the next evening, New Year’s Eve, scheduled on the 8 pm Rhino (personnel armored vehicle).
Some of us gathered for barbecue and champagne to celebrate the holiday – it was close to the Rhino pick up point, so I dragged my suitcase there to party while I waited. Delicious ribs were smoking on the grill and we just began pouring the champagne when
Holiday interrupted: DUCK and COVER!, DUCK and COVER! – the big voice announces, you listen – and RUN! We ran to the nearest concrete bunker – not one second too soon – BOOM! It was fairly close by – Boom, Boom – a little too close for comfort. We huddled in the bunker – Happy New Year! Looks like we’re getting some fireworks for the holiday. . .
Fifteen minutes later: ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR!
Back to the party . . . but only for another fifteen minutes . . . then the big voice again: DUCK and COVER! Sirens . . . run back to the bunker –
“Somebody grab the champagne!”
“Somebody grab the cigars!”
“Somebody grab the ribs!”
RUN! Boom! The ground shakes.
Somebody wants to celebrate with us. A memorable New Year’s indeed.
Of course I am in the bunker wondering, will I get out of here tonight? Will the Rhino come? Will they bomb us all night?
ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR, ALL CLEAR!
No Rhino at 8. No Rhino at 8:30. No Rhino at 9. Will I miss my R&R?!!! Damn insurgents!
But wait! What is that I see lumbering down the road? Yes! My Rhino! I don the helmet and kevlar, load up my bags and we are off to drive down “Route Irish” to the Baghdad International Airport. Seven rockets and one VBIED later, we actually make it to the airport. Looks like I might actually get out . . . and none too soon! Just one more night and I get to escape from Baghdad.
Travelaw escapes the IZ for R&R in South India
Duck and Cover!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Cooking in Chiang Mai & Driving Around Northern Thailand
- 2 Help! Taking Prescription Drugs Into Japan
- 3 Any new BKK hotels or with new mgt. worth checking on?
- 4 Red River Delta in Viet Nam: A Good Idea for a Day Trip from Hanoi?
- 5 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 6 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 7 Two questions about Thailand
- 8 Mad Dash Across Too Much - Sri Lanka Not Bangladesh
- 9 meeting at beijing airport
- 10 Bali - January 2015
- 11 New Thailand Visa Rules Effective Aug/29/2014
- 12 Where to eat a traditional Korean banquet in Seoul?
- 13 Custom made women's wool slacks in Seoul
- 14 Guide cum Driver in Kolkata
- 15 Reading Suggestion for Burma
- 16 Bali in begging of July
- 17 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 18 Travelling in China at Christmas
- 19 Sapphire princess cruise from Singapore
- 20 Which itinerary Vietnam ?
- 21 fun travel buddy wanted - se asia nov/dec
- 22 Travel to Thailand - Open to suggestions
- 23 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 24 Places to visit in India in October
- 25 50+ travelling solo in Vietnam - where to stay in Hanoi