SIMPLE GUIDELINES TO TRAVEL BY BUS
You can also read our blog for comprehensive report and photo guides: http://thatswanderful.com/travel-guide-bangkok-tofrom-siem-reap-by-bus/
TRAVEL TIME: 8 HOURS …or even probably more! Bangkok to Aranyaprathet (Thailand) is around 4 hours, crossing the border is about 1-2 hours depending on the pace of your co-passengers in the Immigration; Poipet (Cambodia) to Siem Reap is around 3 hours. Bring a lot of patience (as we all know you’re excited too) and personal entertainment to keep you sane the whole journey!
BUS STATION: MO CHIT 2 BUS TERMINAL (NEAR CHATUCHAK). You need to take a taxi that costs around 60-80 Baht (2-2.50USD) from/to Mo Chit BTS Station. The bus station has plenty of food stalls and convenient stores so you wouldn’t have to worry if you forgot to bring food or toiletries.
BUS SCHEDULES: 8AM & 9AM ONLY. If you cannot work around those times, you may opt to try the travel agencies in Khao San Road Area.
WHERE TO BUY TICKETS: AT THE TERMINAL OR ONLINE. You could buy your ticket at the bus station for 750 Baht (21 USD) or online for 750 Baht with Service and Convenience Fee of 43 Baht (1.20USD). We booked online* and had our vouchers exchanged for the actual tickets at the Thai Ticket Major booth near the main entrance inside the terminal.
*Buying your ticket online would save you time, money and anxiety. If you buy your ticket at the station a day before, you will have to take the BTS and taxi twice that adds up to the ticket price you paid. If you buy your ticket at the station on the day itself, you will have to risk not securing a ticket on your preferred schedule (but be sure to get there at least at 7AM if you are willing to risk).
BOARDING TIME: 15 MINUTES BEFORE DEPARTURE. Bring a lot of patience (and buy food) in the terminal in case you get there too early.
BUS CONDITION: Seats were comfortable and had ample leg room, air-condition was fine and toilet was a bit cramped (and sometimes funky but bearable).
FOOD: LIGHT SNACK AND LIGHT LUNCH. The light snack consists of cupcake, pastry and juice, serve upon leaving the bus terminal. The light lunch consists of fried rice and water, serve before reaching the border. However, everything was served in modest (kiddie meal portion) so we had to buy food at the border (Poipet).
DROP OFF POINT: NATTAKAN TRANSPORT OFFICE. The office is just beside the KFC in Siem Reap Town Center. There are a mob of Tuktuk drivers who will assist you to your accommodation, free of charge.
Once you arrive at your accommodation, the tuktuk driver will politely offer his tour/temple hopping service for a reasonable price, which you may opt to decline. We accepted the offer of our tuktuk driver Dara since he was accommodating and the Small Circuit Tour was in standard price at 20USD.
Don't forget to read our blog for comprehensive trip report of this journey: http://thatswanderful.com/travel-guide-bangkok-tofrom-siem-reap-by-bus/
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 2 다빈치 릴게임 ◎♧홈 피 = vtk19.컴 ◎♧
- 3 오션파라다이스 릴게임 ⊙●홈 피 - vtk19.컴 ⊙●
- 4 2 months in Taiwan - relaxing & hassle-free breaks in/out of the country?
- 5 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 6 Quick question about Vietnam Visa Exception during overland crossing
- 7 Travel India solo
- 8 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 9 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 10 Osaka, aquarium?
- 11 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 12 Gilli t to Bali (Denpasar airport)
- 13 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 14 Shanghai as a base to also explore Jiangsu and Zhejiang?
- 15 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 16 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 17 North India Itinerary advice
- 18 Indonesia travel agent
- 19 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 20 2-3 weeks in Asia this fall
- 21 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 22 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 23 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 24 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 25 A beach of choice on Samui
Travel Guide: Bangkok to Siem Reap by Bus
SIMPLE GUIDELINES TO TRAVEL BY BUS