We are planning our first trip to Japan in March 2016 and wanted some guidance for our itinerary and transportation. We are a family of 4, myself, DH and 2 kids ( 11,6).
21st March Arrival Tokyo
22nd - Day and night Tokyo
23rd - Day and night Tokyo
24th - Travel to Mt Fuji, overnight @ Fuji
25th - Depart for Kyoto, night@ Kyoto
26th - Day and Night Kyoto
27th - Day trip to Himeji castle OR day trip to NARA
28th - Day and night @ Kyoto
29th- Day and Night @ Kyoto OR day trip to Nara OR Himeji Castle
30th - Train to tokyo, fly out.
1) Need help with transportation from Tokyo to Mt. Fuji to Kyoto...we are thinking of buying the Japan Rail pass since we have to do Tokyo Kyoto and back and also get to experience Shinkansen.
Want to avoid coming back from MT. Fuji to Tokyo and rather head to Kyoto straight to save time.
2) Also, want to experience Ryokan stay for one night. Any recommendations where Fuji? or Kyoto? or Tokyo? looking for something reasonable.
3) We do not intend to climb, We just want to go upto the 5th Station, enjoy the views, do the boat cruise and enjoy the place. are there any short trails that we can walk with kids?
4) Thoughts on car rentals in Tokyo, Kyoto and MT Fuji? Is it an absolute must? I am think definitely for Kyoto since we are looking to go to Nara and HImeji Castle. What about Mt Fuji....Do we need to rent? Tokyo?
I am still researching on what to do/ see etc ...but any tips and recos are welcome. We do not want to do Disney, thats for sure. Some things we would like to do - Cherry Blossom if our timing is right, Tea ceremony, ryokan experience, Geisha dance, Shinkansen, a few shrines and gardens, dome, Imperial palace, sumo wrestling, photography, & nature walks, dining and shopping. Certianly we will not be able to do all or even half of what Japan has to offer given our time constraint and we understand that. Will try to make the best of our time.
Would appreciate yor help esp with the transportation bit.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Four Best Sakura Sightseeing Places in Tokyo
- 2 Short trip to Myanmar
- 3 "necessities" for India
- 4 ATMs in Japan
- 5 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 6 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 7 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 8 50th Anniversary trip
- 9 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 10 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 11 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 12 Mandalay questions
- 13 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 14 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 15 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 16 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 17 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 18 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 19 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 20 Help - India take 2
- 21 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 22 CNX late arrival?
- 23 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 24 best singapore hotel
- 25 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?