I will be travelling to Japan for the first time in September and staying in Tokyo for a total of 4 nights. I will be staying in Akasaka three nights, and Shinjuku for one night (my last night in Japan after returning from Kyoto). I am looking for some suggestions and advice on what to do while I am there. I am sure that I will be jetlagged when I get there, but I am going to try to sleep on the plane and take over-the-counter sleep aids to adjust as soon as possible when I get there so that I can make the most of my time.
I know that I would like to experience the nightlife in Roppongi, and visit the Tsukiji Fish Market for sushi breakfast or lunch while I am there (should I see the fish auction as well?). Aside from that, I am still trying to figure out what to do. I am interested in experiencing the Japanese culture, cuisine, and seeing amazing architecture, and historical/traditional sites. I want to have experiences very different from what I would find in a major U.S. city. I would also like to get some great photos and spend a lot of time outside walking around. I am not too interested visiting inside museums. I will be getting a JR pass and taking the train to get around the city.
Here are some places that I am considering based on my research. Please let me know your thoughts. I am definitely open to other suggestions as well. Also, do you have any suggestions on souvenirs that I cannot get in the U.S?
Watch Sumo Wrestling Match
Yoyogi Park in Shibuya-ku
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
Roppongi Hills (observation deck)
Shinjuku (Golden Gai, Kabukicho, Kagurazaka, Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku Gyoen)
Dinner and Drinks in Ebisu
Akihabara (electronics stores and cafes)
Shibuya (shopping and entertainment around Shibuya Station, nightclubs, Hachiko Exit intersection)
Ginza (Sony building)
Day trip to Nikko
Thank you in advance for your advice!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 2 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 3 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 4 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 5 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 6 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 7 Indonesia travel agent
- 8 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 9 A beach of choice on Samui
- 10 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 11 Bangkok Taxis
- 12 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 13 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 14 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 15 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US
- 16 A month in central Asia
- 17 Central Asia Four Week Itinerary
- 18 Something about... Malaysia
- 19 Day trip from Kuala Lumpur
- 20 Two Round Trip Tickets?
- 21 Osaka, aquarium?
- 22 favorite activities in krabi area
- 23 itinerary help for cambodia and laos
- 24 Cambodia arrival visa
- 25 Itinerary feedback please