Ok, I'm confused.... I read on various forums on travel to China that tipping isn't commonly practiced in China, although some visitors do tip. I get our documents from our cruise and tour companies, and they both say to be sure to tip (including a Chinese tour company!). So, because I'm clearly a visitor, will I be held to a different standard than locals (or even expats) and considered a jerk if I don't tip? Or do I tip according to the type of establishment -- tourist hotel or restaurant: tip, and street food or local restaurant: don't tip?
Tipping in China?
View all Asia activity »
- 1 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 2 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 3 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 4 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 5 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 6 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 7 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
- 8 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 9 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 10 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain
- 11 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 12 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 13 Bali -- Visa on Arrival
- 14 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 15 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 16 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 17 clean,reasonable priced lodging in Orchha, Bodghaya, Khajuraho, Varanasi
- 18 Input on staying the Banyan Tree or Trisara while in Phuket?
- 19 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 20 New Year's Week in Tokyo- Advice Please!!
- 21 Andaman coast visit - is Phuket worth visiting?
- 22 Anyone in Bangkok
- 23 United Canceling NRT-BKK Flight?
- 24 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 25 Finding a Small electric Kettle in BKK