Ok, I'm confused.... I read on various forums on travel to China that tipping isn't commonly practiced in China, although some visitors do tip. I get our documents from our cruise and tour companies, and they both say to be sure to tip (including a Chinese tour company!). So, because I'm clearly a visitor, will I be held to a different standard than locals (or even expats) and considered a jerk if I don't tip? Or do I tip according to the type of establishment -- tourist hotel or restaurant: tip, and street food or local restaurant: don't tip?
Tipping in China?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 2 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 3 April in Bangkok, again!
- 4 Problems at 12,000'
- 5 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 6 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 7 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 8 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 9 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 10 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days
- 11 Best Time of Year to Visit Ko Samui/Krabi (Weather)
- 12 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 13 Which Putu in Bali????
- 14 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 15 Japan, japan
- 16 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 17 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 18 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 19 Hong Kong restaurants
- 20 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 21 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 22 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 23 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 24 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 25 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed