Apologies in advance for the length of this message. My wife and I plan on traveling to Thailand/Cambodia during the late Feb to mid-March timeframe for our honeymoon. We are very excited to be going and have truly enjoyed readng about the travels of everyone here on the site.
At this point we have a rough outline of our itinerary/places to stay (all places are reserved but not locked in through pre-pay, etc.) I am not sure if I am just looking for validation of our choices, given that there are SO many options when planning this trip, but I do have a few questions that I was hoping to get your feedback on.
We are late 30s/early 40s. We tend to walk around a lot when we travel and we enjoy the cultural sites, shopping, R&R and the beach - basically, a litle of everything. We LOVE to eat and look forward to partaking in as much street/market food as we can handle. Packing the Immodium just in case.
Our general path/accommodations are as follows:
BKK - Ibis Bangkok Riverside
Siem Reap - FCC Angkor
PP - TBD
Krabi - Amari Vogue
BKK - TBD - maybe Penninsula or Oriental for final night or two in Asia
We've got about 18 days on the ground total, which includes inter/intra-country travel. We plan on spending 3 full days in BKK, 3 full days in SR, 2 days in PP, 6 days in Krabi and a day or two on the back end in BKK.
Plan on purchasing BKK Air Discovery pass for the 3 legs.
1. We're getting in around midnight into BKK airport. Does anyone know if the airport express train runs that late? Or should we just play it safe and take a taxi given that Ibis is on the other side of the river?
Any street food/market paradises recommended for BKK? We'd like to experience as much local Thai flavor as we can, as we are coming from a city where we can get our fill of basically any cuisine.
2. We're thinking of doing an Extraordinary Elephants Day Trip out of BKK - The price seems a bit on the high end, but I know my wife would LOVE bathing (i..e, splashing around with) the elephants and it seems like this company takes decent care of the animals. Anyone have any experience with them by any chance?
3. In SR, in terms of scenery, is it worthwhile to take a boat ride to Battambang or PP? BB would just be a sidetrip, since we do plan on going to PP either way. We've got 3 full days in SR, plus 1/2 day on arrival and whatever extra time on departure day.
4. I have Dawn Rooney's book on the temples (though still have to read it!) Is it still worthwhile to get a guide? We plan on getting a driver/tuk tuk. Is it worth going to one of the temples at sunrise or is it likely going to be a madhouse (yes, I know we are traveling during high season)?
5. In Krabi, I am thinking of renting a car from the Krabi Airport given the location of Amari Vogue. I would get an Int'l Driver's Permit. I've never driven on the opposite side of the road, but am more or less a decent driver. Is this a suicide mission? Should we just get a driver/tuk tuk when we need one? Given the Amari Vogue property, we'll probably hang around there a bit, do a day trip or two on a boat, so not sure how much we'll need a car.
We do like to explore, though, particularly the food options of any place we stay. On the subject, any street food recommendations for the area, including Ao Nang, Railay, etc.?
Thanks for reading. Any input/guidance is most appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 First time trip to Japan questions
- 2 David's First Draft Itinerary for Sakura 2017
- 3 http://utrimcleanseblog.com/x-alpha/
- 4 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
- 5 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 6 Travel Itenary
- 7 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 8 Taiwan itinerary help, only 3 nights/2 days.
- 9 How to plan our itinerary in Japan
- 10 Thailand - Help with Itinerary 15 Days to incl. North & South
- 11 japan itenirary help
- 12 New Hua Hin Marriott Resort & Spa
- 13 Is this crazy?
- 14 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 15 thai baht allowance
- 16 Vietnam - Quy Nhon
- 17 1 Month SE Asia itinerary.
- 18 2 gals and 2 weeks in Bali
- 19 JR Pass or Pay as you Go
- 20 In Seoul for one day
- 21 Japan & WiFi
- 22 Bali airport transportation
- 23 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 24 Halong Bay cruise
- 25 Vietnam - 15 day Visa Waiver extended until 30 June 2017