I am taking my dad on a father-son 9 day trip to Thailand as he has never been to an Asian country. He is a keen walker and young and active for his age (68). We will be flying into Bangkok on the 29th November and then I am unsure of what we should do from there. I would like him to see:
1) Bangkok - assumed 3 - 4 full days to see the sights, sounds, and some culture. He will love the street food
2) One of the islands, ideally somewhere less touristy and without the "working girls" for 3 days or longer if there is things to keep busy rather than just sitting on the each reading a book. I would be keen to do some hiking (bush walking), snorkeling etc.
3) something else if it makes sense....Kanchaburi, Chiang Mai, other??
I have been to Thailand with my wife a number of times, but the last time was 2005 (pre-kids) and I know the islands have changed a lot, so am not sure where to head.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. He is a camper so does not need any luxury, but it may be nice to spoil him somewhere luxurious for a few nights.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 5 weeks in Japan
- 2 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 4 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 5 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 6 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 7 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 8 Lodge in Borneo
- 9 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 10 China and Japan help
- 11 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 12 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 13 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 14 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 15 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 16 Requesting Passport Number
- 17 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 18 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 19 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 20 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 21 Phu Quoc
- 22 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 23 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 24 Help! India Visa question....
- 25 Singapore hotel