Chiang Mai area in Thailand
I'm hoping someone out there can help us.
We will be taking a vacation in Thailand and 2 of the items we would really like to include in the Chiang Mai portion of the trip is a combined overnight hill tribe visit with an overnight elephant care and mahout training camp. I've heard that the better overnight hill tribe visits are far better than daytime-only visits. We have found a pretty good elephant care and mahout training camp at the Ban Bang Kud Elephant Camp. It includes approximately 6 hours with the elephants on EACH of the 2 days whereas most of the rest have a total of about 6 hours spread over 2 days. It has most of the content we are looking for, including learning basic elephant language, how to control the elephant, how to ride on the neck (instead of on a chair), how to lead, bathing and brushing the elephant (more than once), feeding the elephant (more than once), and an adventure ride with the elephant through the jungle.
Here's the big "however" ... we would really like to then go to one of the less touristy hill tribe villages for an overnight but the only way we have found so far, is to finish the elephant camp, go back to the hotel, then get picked up the following day to make a 2-day overnight to the hill tribe village. Unfortunately this means that in total it is 4 days + 2 overnights + a hotel in between. Unfortunately we are in the Chiang Mai area for only a short time and this would almost totally consume the stay.
... Does anyone know of a program similar to the elephant/mahout training described above which then goes to the hill tribe village for an overnight as a 3-day-2-night offering?
... also, are there any other experiences with the elephants which any of you would strongly recommend that we try to include during the elephant camp portion, and even a recommended link to who offers it ?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Delhi private guide
- 2 Advice Request: Japan Rail Pass for Two Weeks
- 3 3 days with snow monkey visit.
- 4 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 5 Thai Elephants
- 6 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 7 Mumbai short visit
- 8 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 9 Phuket Beaches
- 10 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 11 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 12 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 13 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 14 Pakistan Forum/ Unfriendly
- 15 Japan Itinerary!
- 16 What are some hidden gems in Hong Kong?
- 17 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 18 Thailand Guides
- 19 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 20 Experiance /More Than 120 Countries
- 21 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 22 India itinerary critique please
- 23 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 24 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 25 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
Thailand - like to combine overnight mahout training + overnight Hill Tribe
Chiang Mai area in Thailand