Chiang Mai area in Thailand
I'm hoping someone out there can help us.
We will be taking a vacation in Thailand and 2 of the items we would really like to include in the Chiang Mai portion of the trip is a combined overnight hill tribe visit with an overnight elephant care and mahout training camp. I've heard that the better overnight hill tribe visits are far better than daytime-only visits. We have found a pretty good elephant care and mahout training camp at the Ban Bang Kud Elephant Camp. It includes approximately 6 hours with the elephants on EACH of the 2 days whereas most of the rest have a total of about 6 hours spread over 2 days. It has most of the content we are looking for, including learning basic elephant language, how to control the elephant, how to ride on the neck (instead of on a chair), how to lead, bathing and brushing the elephant (more than once), feeding the elephant (more than once), and an adventure ride with the elephant through the jungle.
Here's the big "however" ... we would really like to then go to one of the less touristy hill tribe villages for an overnight but the only way we have found so far, is to finish the elephant camp, go back to the hotel, then get picked up the following day to make a 2-day overnight to the hill tribe village. Unfortunately this means that in total it is 4 days + 2 overnights + a hotel in between. Unfortunately we are in the Chiang Mai area for only a short time and this would almost totally consume the stay.
... Does anyone know of a program similar to the elephant/mahout training described above which then goes to the hill tribe village for an overnight as a 3-day-2-night offering?
... also, are there any other experiences with the elephants which any of you would strongly recommend that we try to include during the elephant camp portion, and even a recommended link to who offers it ?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 2 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 3 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 4 First time to India
- 5 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 6 First time getting out of the country
- 7 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 8 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 9 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 10 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 11 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 12 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 13 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 14 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 17 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 18 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 19 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 20 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 21 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 22 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 23 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 24 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 25 November, March, June... Japan?
Thailand - like to combine overnight mahout training + overnight Hill Tribe
Chiang Mai area in Thailand