I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Thailand Itinerary June 2012 - 9 days, 2 kids
- 1 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 2 introduce myself
- 3 Draft itinerary - appreciate some input
- 4 Dread long flights USA to/from BKK
- 5 Interesting WSJ Article re: Japanese Aversions to Perfumes
- 6 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 7 Malaysia and Thailand 2013 travelogues
- 8 Feng Pao Fireworks Festival in Yanshui, Tainan?
- 9 SINGAPORE OR CAMBODIA??? (April Honeymoon)
- 10 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 11 independent travel in India
- 12 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 13 Ratings of kaiseki meals at ryokans in Japan?
- 14 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 15 Magical India
- 16 geisha performance
- 17 Tibet and Nepal in 2 weeks?
- 18 Trip report China
- 19 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 20 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 21 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 22 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 23 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 24 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 25 Myanmar and Mt Popa