I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Thailand Itinerary June 2012 - 9 days, 2 kids
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 India adaptors
- 2 Jogyakarta & - Bali?
- 3 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 4 Help re. Visa.
- 5 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 6 Thailand - a few more details: phones, and driving map
- 7 Bangkok and Manila
- 8 Bagan Entry Fee to Rise by One-Third
- 9 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 10 Feedback on India Tour specifics
- 11 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 12 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 13 Visa
- 14 6-7 months in SE Asia (majority in Thailand) - visa, weather, meet-up ?s
- 15 Gluten free in Japan?
- 16 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 17 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 18 Bangkok's JW vs. Marriott Resort and Spa
- 19 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 20 Need a guide in Burma?
- 21 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 22 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 23 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 24 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 25 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014