I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 18008416436 netfix support tollfree number
- 2 9 days in Bali
- 3 dog transport
- 4 http://www.fitwaypoint.com/maxtropin/
- 5 Best Hotels in Agra, India
- 6 Best Hotels in Agra, India
- 7 Woodblock prints in Tokyo
- 8 Tibet and BhutanTour
- 9 Travel to India in May?
- 10 READ MORE== http://yoursbetterhealthsolutions.com/testorx/
- 11 Bus service in Nepal
- 12 4.5 days in Singapore
- 13 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 14 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 15 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 16 Italy from an Asian base
- 17 A fun week in Bangkok!
- 18 Advice for a newbie!
- 19 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 20 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 21 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 22 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 23 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 24 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 25 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?