I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Thailand Itinerary June 2012 - 9 days, 2 kids
- 1 Narita Limousine Bus vs train
- 2 Udaipur, India
- 3 NYT article in drop in women traveling to India
- 4 - Hotel in Kuta, Bali -
- 5 My latest experience in Thailand
- 6 Difficulty contacting Thai Elephant Conservation Center
- 7 Booking hotels in China in advance- is it necessary?
- 8 Singapore Things to do when a lone traveller
- 9 Train questions for November Japan trip
- 10 Malaysian Island for 5 nights
- 11 Train Fares in Japan
- 12 vaccines for vietnam I'm leaving soon !
- 13 I (HEART) HONG KONG
- 14 Sri Lanka (my favorite destination yet) Report & Recommendations
- 15 Sri Lanka itinerary help needed
- 16 Bangkok restaurants. Recs for hidden gems in Sukhumvit
- 17 Travel during Golden Week 2013
- 18 Good guide for day in Jakarta?
- 19 Itinerary Help with China Trip with 14- and 10-year-old
- 20 Which hotel in Bangkok?
- 21 First trip to SE Asia... Help required!!
- 22 Best beach to stay at in Phuket?
- 23 First-timer seeks weather/sight advice for Thailand, Vietnam, Nepal
- 24 Singapore Gardens - which one?
- 25 Need Help Bringing Baby Supplies From USA To Beijing, China