I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Halong Bay cruise
- 2 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 3 How to plan our itinerary in Japan
- 4 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 5 Corbett Wildlife Park
- 6 Safari in India to Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Corbett; plus Delhi & Agra
- 7 Singapore Air non-stop SFO-SIN to start in October
- 8 Shoes vs boots? Climbing Mt Bat ur in Bali
- 9 6 days itinerary advise - which company to book ?
- 10 Six months in Inchoen / South Korea
- 11 Planning for 1 week in Vietnam
- 12 3 day tours from Bangkok
- 13 Is this crazy?
- 14 In Seoul for one day
- 15 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 16 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 17 India help with where to go
- 18 6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with an unplanned itinerary
- 19 Hong Kong / Bangkok / Seoul / Tokyo
- 20 Taxis in Yangon
- 21 Feb 17 Itinenary (Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia)
- 22 144 Hour Visa Exception China
- 23 Jews in China. Who knew?
- 24 Shanghai Tailor?
- 25 Best of Koh Tao