I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 2 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 3 What is the best way to travel through Budapest, Vienna, and Prague?
- 4 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 5 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 6 Recommendations for Asian Tour
- 7 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 8 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 9 Best places to photo-shoot landscapes and natural beauty
- 10 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 11 Udon Thani to Chiang Mai by road
- 12 Thailand - Khao Lak [Andaman Coast] area
- 13 An island paradise?
- 14 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 15 6 months SE Asia and New Zeland
- 16 mekong delta vietnam tours which operator to go for?
- 17 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 18 Budget accommodation in Krabi and Phi Phi island??
- 19 Japan - first timer - itinerary help please!
- 20 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 21 Has anyone used Sanctuary Ananda to cruise in Burma?
- 22 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong
- 23 Earthquake in Myanmar
- 24 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 25 Spontaneous trip to Japan