I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Thailand Itinerary June 2012 - 9 days, 2 kids
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 2nd location on the beach
- 2 Hanoi driver wanted
- 3 Missing Air Asia flight
- 4 Buying loose sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 5 Southern India itinerary help needed
- 6 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 7 Your favorites in south India & places you'd probably not recommend
- 8 vietnam and laos
- 9 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 10 Help: 24 hours to change decision for award flight BKK-SFO
- 11 Safe to buy Sapphires in Sri Lanka
- 12 Thailand - Food recos
- 13 Seoul - Cuckoo rice cooker
- 14 First Time Solo Trip To Thailand Itinerary
- 15 Laos for the backpacker
- 16 The best way (or place) to see Mt. Fuji while staying in Tokyo
- 17 Single parent traveling to Thailand with a 4-yo son
- 18 Amazing Samurai Armor Exhibition
- 19 Thailand Hotel
- 20 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 21 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 22 Honeymoon in Thailand
- 23 One Week in Asia, First Time Trip to Asia
- 24 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 25 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental