I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 2 Totally unprepared
- 3 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 4 Shanghai Airpor overnight
- 5 Chengdu, China - Giant Panda Research Base Travel Report
- 6 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 7 Rental Car Bali
- 8 1 day in Bangkok Itinerary for Honeymoon
- 9 Kyoto & Tokyo tips
- 10 Good Eats in Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai
- 11 A great trip in India
- 12 Itinerary 3-1/2 week trip to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand
- 13 Krabi, Koh Lanta or other
- 14 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 15 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 16 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 17 Beggars in Siem Reap and Angkor
- 18 Some notes about South Korea
- 19 It can be cheap but awesome!
- 20 Thoughts on this itinerary
- 21 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 22 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
- 23 Burma itinerary critic.
- 24 Fabric shops in India
- 25 Japan Itinerary Help for April 2017