I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Thailand Itinerary June 2012 - 9 days, 2 kids
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 2 Your opinion of our Japan & China itinerary
- 3 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 4 Ubud Tips
- 5 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 6 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 7 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 8 Kathie’s & Cheryl’s Impressions of Japan
- 9 Excellent Customer Service with Bangkok Food Tours
- 10 Need Help on Vietnam/Cambodia Itinerary
- 11 Yet antoher Query on Japan IT.
- 12 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 13 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 14 First time to srilanka
- 15 Jaipur--Jas Vilas or Royal Heritge Haveli ?
- 16 1week in Hyderabad in mid-April need itinerary help
- 17 One-day tours in Kathmandu and Lhasa
- 18 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 19 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 20 Alternatives to/within Krabi in April - due to weather and pregnancy
- 21 Ever heard of an Okinawa to Haneda Airpack Fare?
- 22 Nepal
- 23 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 24 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 25 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!