I am going to Thailand with my family (husband, 15-year-old daughter and 10-year-old son.) I've been sorting through the places that look inviting, and realize that I need to adopt the less-is-more approach, but first I'd love some feedback from all of you experts. My goal is to get a variety of experiences: temples, markets, wandering, street food, nature. I've contemplated 3 itineraries:
Kanchanaburi is attractive for the floating hotel possibility and for Erawan National Park
Lampang is attractive because the city seems interesting (?) and for Chae Son National Park. (I can't help noticing that no one on the forum has said anything about either of these cities - are they unsuitable or just off the beaten path?) The plan is to take the overnight train north from Bangkok to either Lampang or Chiang Mai for the adventure of it.
If we eliminate both of those places for reasons of logistics and time, what do people think of Khao Yai National park as a day trip from Bangkok and/or Doi Suthep from Chiang Mai?
My impression is that a base in Chiang Mai allows for a variety of activities. We do plan to visit the Elephant Nature Park outside Chiang Mai.
Finally, my theory is that we should have a good base in each place we stay. (If it were me and my husband, we'd stay in cheap dives and spend our days wandering. But with kids it's different, am I right?) So any recommendations on great family hotels with grounds (or public areas greater than the room we will all be sharing) and pools (since it will be so hot)
Thank you in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hotels in Central Delhi
- 2 Sri Lanka- elephants
- 3 Getting a Tote from Thailand-JFK
- 4 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 5 Japan / Korea Trip
- 6 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 7 Taiwan confusion..
- 8 Help with 2 week itinerary; Beijing to Hong Kong
- 9 Review My 23 Day Japan Itinerary
- 10 Japan (Tokyo) trip- April or May least expensive to travel?
- 11 vietnam visa
- 12 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 13 Japan GTG, early April
- 14 Tokyo daytrip
- 15 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 16 Bangkok - Pavement [sidewalk] obstructions
- 17 Trip Report : China
- 18 Vietnam 15 day visa exemption - transfer included?
- 19 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql
- 20 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 21 Thailand and Vietnam - February 2017
- 22 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 23 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 24 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 25 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels