I am continuing with my research for places I may try to visit this summer and I stumbled upon Georgia. I was surprised that the country looks so, well…Western. Sure, I saw in the images relics of Soviet occupation as well as some Ottoman influence, but nonetheless, places like the capital, Batumi and Kakheti's provincial capital all seemed to have a strong Western air to them. It appears as if the government is using its oil revenues to build/rebuild a newly independent Western nation with efficient public transport, new architecture that resembles old European architecture and etc. In short, I am impressed. Does the country feel mostly Western or am I being fooled by the photos?
Anyways, Tbilisi would definitely and TOTALLY be out of the way, logistically speaking. However, I do not want to miss out on an impressive sightseeing destination. In that part of the world and related to Georgia’s history, I’ve been to Istanbul and Moscow and was impressed by both-but I doubt either of those cities can be compared to Tbilisi.
To be honest, I generally do not find impressive those ‘Ottoman’ style Asia Minor towns. I find them to have too many ugly buildings surrounding the pretty stuff. Perhaps I am making this sound too complicated. Let me put it like this-Is Tbilisi uniformly pretty or are there only relatively small sections of the city pretty while these areas and the outskirts are basically surrounded by faceless concrete-looking buildings? Think Istanbul (mostly pretty) versus Athens (some pretty areas surrounded by mostly unattractive areas). Do you think Tbilisi is a pretty sightseeing destination onto itself?
Tbilisi: Worth the Detour?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 2 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 3 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 4 One-day tours in Kathmandu and Lhasa
- 5 Alternatives to/within Krabi in April - due to weather and pregnancy
- 6 Ever heard of an Okinawa to Haneda Airpack Fare?
- 7 Excellent Customer Service with Bangkok Food Tours
- 8 Your opinion of our Japan & China itinerary
- 9 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 10 Nepal
- 11 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 12 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 13 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 14 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 15 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 16 4-5 days in SE Asia
- 17 Where did you exchange dollars for Rupees??
- 18 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 19 1st time Japan - solo female
- 20 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 21 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 22 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 23 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 24 Odyssey unlimited
- 25 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?