My itinerary is pretty much set, and I'm currently planning traveling from Varanasi to Agra on the overnight train in January. I'm having second thoughts, however, and would appreciate your opinions. We will be seeing the Taj Mahal the day we arrive and are staying one night in Agra. We arrive on a Thursday morning, so don't have the option to see it on Friday, the day we leave.
This is hubby's and my first (and likely only) trip to India. We'll be in India in January to February 2013 for 3 weeks going to Rajasthan, Delhi, Agra and Varanasi. We are late 50s & mid 60s. We generally travel in the budget to low/moderate range, although I will say that traveling comfortably is important. We are planning to have a car/driver for much of the trip and have a few internal flights booked already (Delhi-Varanasi, Jodhpur-Delhi).
My MAIN concern at this point is ensuring that we are as healthy and rested as it's possible to be, given that India will be an intense experience. We are very open to traveling by train; however, I'm now wondering about sleeping and whether we might be better off flying back to Delhi and taking an early train the next morning. I've seen hubby when he's sleep-deprived, and he's not a happy camper (um, traveler), which makes me a grumpy traveler, too!
As I said, we are open to the experience and certainly would rather save a few extra dollars, although I'd rather spend the extra cash and feel good than save a few dollars and feel sick. So I'm going back and forth on this -- I'm leaning toward taking the train overnight, but am willing to consider returning by plane if it would make a difference in how we felt.
Suggestions or thoughts? Especially from those who said "Glad I did it but wouldn't do it again" - would you have done it the first time if you knew what it was like?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 YAHOO@ Password Reset CONTACT ☎ 1:800:982:8520 Tech c*Are 22/7
- 2 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 3 Kuala Lumpur itinerary
- 4 Vietnam 3 week itinerary help
- 5 Angkor guides: Tek???
- 6 What areas to stay in Singapore & Bali
- 7 Sri Lanka in December
- 8 Please recommend a hotel in Mumbai
- 9 Sudden holiday to Japan
- 10 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 11 Travel Help!! Thailand - Ko Tao, Koh Samui or Ko Pha Ngan
- 12 Vietnam: Itinerary for 15 days in September
- 13 Safety concerns for solo female traveler in SE Asia and itinerary feedback
- 14 Japan Questions - shots, shoulders and shorts
- 15 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 16 Japan in December - yay or nay?
- 17 Japan Itinerary Help Needed
- 18 Hong Kong
- 19 Bangkok- Dinner Cruises
- 20 Sweltering in Saigon.
- 21 Bangkok- Sky Bars
- 22 Beijing Architecture and Art District - Travel Report
- 23 Something about... Malaysia
- 24 Kyoto Temples and Imperial Palace - Travel Report
- 25 Budget Servied Apt