My itinerary is pretty much set, and I'm currently planning traveling from Varanasi to Agra on the overnight train in January. I'm having second thoughts, however, and would appreciate your opinions. We will be seeing the Taj Mahal the day we arrive and are staying one night in Agra. We arrive on a Thursday morning, so don't have the option to see it on Friday, the day we leave.
This is hubby's and my first (and likely only) trip to India. We'll be in India in January to February 2013 for 3 weeks going to Rajasthan, Delhi, Agra and Varanasi. We are late 50s & mid 60s. We generally travel in the budget to low/moderate range, although I will say that traveling comfortably is important. We are planning to have a car/driver for much of the trip and have a few internal flights booked already (Delhi-Varanasi, Jodhpur-Delhi).
My MAIN concern at this point is ensuring that we are as healthy and rested as it's possible to be, given that India will be an intense experience. We are very open to traveling by train; however, I'm now wondering about sleeping and whether we might be better off flying back to Delhi and taking an early train the next morning. I've seen hubby when he's sleep-deprived, and he's not a happy camper (um, traveler), which makes me a grumpy traveler, too!
As I said, we are open to the experience and certainly would rather save a few extra dollars, although I'd rather spend the extra cash and feel good than save a few dollars and feel sick. So I'm going back and forth on this -- I'm leaning toward taking the train overnight, but am willing to consider returning by plane if it would make a difference in how we felt.
Suggestions or thoughts? Especially from those who said "Glad I did it but wouldn't do it again" - would you have done it the first time if you knew what it was like?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Cherry Blossom time 2018
- 2 Japan rough itinerary
- 3 Silk Road Tour - China
- 4 Vietnam visa debate
- 5 Transfers and hotel Hong Kong
- 6 Vietnam visa
- 7 Please help me to start planning a trip to Bhutan
- 8 Bye bye SE Asia
- 9 Thailand/Cambodia/Vietnam 3 weeks itinerary and visa help
- 10 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 11 Purchasing Kamagawa Odori tickets?
- 12 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 13 India Tour Companies
- 14 Train to Sapa from Hanoi
- 15 Laos planning.
- 16 Pocket Wi-Fi Speeds (187.5 Mbps v. 75 Mbps)?
- 17 Hotel Claska vs. Prince Sakura Tower
- 18 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 19 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 20 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 21 One night in Osaka
- 22 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 23 Japan - costs
- 24 Japan for Foodies
- 25 Planning Honeymoon to Thailand