My itinerary is pretty much set, and I'm currently planning traveling from Varanasi to Agra on the overnight train in January. I'm having second thoughts, however, and would appreciate your opinions. We will be seeing the Taj Mahal the day we arrive and are staying one night in Agra. We arrive on a Thursday morning, so don't have the option to see it on Friday, the day we leave.
This is hubby's and my first (and likely only) trip to India. We'll be in India in January to February 2013 for 3 weeks going to Rajasthan, Delhi, Agra and Varanasi. We are late 50s & mid 60s. We generally travel in the budget to low/moderate range, although I will say that traveling comfortably is important. We are planning to have a car/driver for much of the trip and have a few internal flights booked already (Delhi-Varanasi, Jodhpur-Delhi).
My MAIN concern at this point is ensuring that we are as healthy and rested as it's possible to be, given that India will be an intense experience. We are very open to traveling by train; however, I'm now wondering about sleeping and whether we might be better off flying back to Delhi and taking an early train the next morning. I've seen hubby when he's sleep-deprived, and he's not a happy camper (um, traveler), which makes me a grumpy traveler, too!
As I said, we are open to the experience and certainly would rather save a few extra dollars, although I'd rather spend the extra cash and feel good than save a few dollars and feel sick. So I'm going back and forth on this -- I'm leaning toward taking the train overnight, but am willing to consider returning by plane if it would make a difference in how we felt.
Suggestions or thoughts? Especially from those who said "Glad I did it but wouldn't do it again" - would you have done it the first time if you knew what it was like?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 2 Passport
- 3 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 4 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 5 How would you spend your last few days in Thailand.
- 6 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 7 Are knitting needles allowed on ANA?
- 8 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 9 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 10 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 11 Amakusa island help
- 12 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 13 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 14 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 15 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 16 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 17 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 18 Cheapest way to Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.
- 19 Japan Itinerary
- 20 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 21 Toddler twin travel in India
- 22 Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
- 23 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 24 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 25 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans