I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Visiting Kyoto for the color - and there was no color
- 2 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 3 timing of a Vietnam trip around Tet 2017
- 4 My visit to Vietnam
- 5 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 6 New Member
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 8 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 9 Japn tour 10 nights
- 10 5 weeks in Japan
- 11 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 12 My visit to Thailand
- 13 Elephant Complex - A Beautiful New Travel Book on Sri Lanka
- 14 My visit to Cambodia
- 15 Family Trip to Japan
- 16 Tour guides for Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone, and Nara
- 17 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 18 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 19 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 20 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 21 Nepal
- 22 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 23 Sunday Brunch in Thailand
- 24 What is the Facilities & Services of Maharajas Express Train?
- 25 Gutted!