I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://www.oralhealthplus.com/oveena-reviews/
- 2 Anybody would like to visit AAA 2018 with me?
- 3 Thai Elephants
- 4 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 5 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 6 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 7 Myanmar in Five days - Advice please!
- 8 Luggage size China ?
- 9 Japan Itinerary!
- 10 Sri Lanka in August
- 11 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 12 Self-drive in Thailand?
- 13 India itinerary critique please
- 14 Japan/Korea/HK
- 15 Need Honeymoon Ideas - Southeast Asia
- 16 Vientiane and ??
- 17 12 days in Vietnam Jan/Feb
- 18 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 19 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 20 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 21 Impressions of India
- 22 Solo female traveller Mumbai, safe?
- 23 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 24 7ish days in Myanmar, advice please (itinerary, ballooning, restaurants)
- 25 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali