I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Help with itinerary please, 10 days Japan
- 2 First time to India
- 3 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 4 First time getting out of the country
- 5 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 6 Three days in Siem Reap, Two in Phnom Penh
- 7 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 8 Start in Tokyo or Kyoto?
- 9 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 10 Travelling in Japan for 3 weeks - advice.
- 11 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 12 5 days in Davao or Osaka
- 13 Planning my Philippines trip
- 14 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 15 Travelling the Silk Road - Trip Report
- 16 Across Uzbekistan with MIR
- 17 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 18 Kyoto airbnb/vrbo reco?
- 19 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 20 Surgery at Bumrungrad?
- 21 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 22 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 23 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 24 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 25 12 days in Thailand itinerary