I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 India help with where to go
- 2 How to book domestic tickets/hotels in Burma.
- 3 In Seoul for one day
- 4 Feedback--First Time in Japan, 3 weeks
- 5 Is this crazy?
- 6 6 days itinerary advise - which company to book ?
- 7 Planning for 1 week in Vietnam
- 8 6 weeks in Cambodia and Laos with an unplanned itinerary
- 9 Hong Kong / Bangkok / Seoul / Tokyo
- 10 Taxis in Yangon
- 11 Six months in Inchoen / South Korea
- 12 Feb 17 Itinenary (Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia)
- 13 144 Hour Visa Exception China
- 14 Jews in China. Who knew?
- 15 Shanghai Tailor?
- 16 3 day tours from Bangkok
- 17 Best of Koh Tao
- 18 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part One
- 19 Singapore or Hong Kong
- 20 Studying yoga in India
- 21 Please help with my itinerary for Japan, Part Two (more difficult)
- 22 Chiyoda or Shitaya area stay?
- 23 Visit Mandalay or not?
- 24 Fabric shops in India
- 25 Getting to Hoi An from Hue