I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel India solo
- 2 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 3 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 4 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 5 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 6 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 7 http://www.healthsupplementsreviews.info/no2-force-fx/
- 8 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 9 North India Itinerary advice
- 10 Indonesia travel agent
- 11 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 12 Osaka, aquarium?
- 13 2-3 weeks in Asia this fall
- 14 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 15 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 16 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 17 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 18 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 19 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 20 A beach of choice on Samui
- 21 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 22 Bangkok Taxis
- 23 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 24 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 25 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US