I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Elderly tourists attacked in Thailand
- 2 Trip to Thailand - advice
- 3 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 4 5 weeks in Japan - Autumn 2011 Trip Report
- 5 Italy from an Asian base
- 6 2 weeks in Java
- 7 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 8 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 9 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 10 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 11 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 12 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 13 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 14 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 15 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 16 My new 10 year china visa
- 17 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 18 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 19 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 20 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 21 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 22 Update on riding elephants
- 23 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 24 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 25 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy