I'm heading to Japan with my husband in September -- we're staying in Tokyo, Kyoto and have three days in the middle of the trip to spend in the mountains. Friends of ours recently went to Takayama and Matsumoto -- they recommended Takayama between the two but I'm not convinced. I like that Matsumoto is a touch bigger, has amazing soba and can be navigated on bike. (I worry about being a little bored in Takayama, though I think we'd do day trips to Hida and Kamikochi.) Any thoughts? Is three days enough time to hit both? (Doesn't seem like it, especially since we're squeezing in 4 destinations into a 13 day trip as it is.) Is there somewhere else we should consider instead? (We're looking for something fairly rural, beautiful and different from the U.S. [we live in New York City]-- this will probably be our only time in Japan!) Would love any advice.
Also, in case you want to weigh in, here's our current itinerary:
Arrive in Tokyo 3:30 p.m.
Leave for Takayama? (looks like there are trains early and late)
Takayama (day trip to Kamikochi)
Takayama (biking & sake tasting in Hida)
Leave for Kyoto (looks like trains are just in the late afternoon, so we'd still have the morning in Takayama)
Flight to Hong Kong in the morning
Flight to NYC in the morning
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 신천지 ◐☆주_소= pts14.컴 ◐☆
- 2 CNX late arrival?
- 3 currency conversion
- 4 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 5 50th Anniversary trip
- 6 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 7 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 8 Help - India take 2
- 9 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 10 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 11 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 12 The truth about elephant tourism
- 13 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 14 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 15 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 16 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 17 Advice for treks/Peak climbing in ladakh end of June
- 18 is this a good travel plan?
- 19 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 20 Phenom Penh
- 21 Vientiane Private Tour Guide suggestions?
- 22 Airport taxis in Bangkok
- 23 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 24 One day in Saigon
- 25 Bali private driver recommendation