I am right at the very beginning of the process in planning my first trip to Hong Kong and Taiwan. I've already posted a thread to ask for advice on HK. This one's for Taiwan.
International flights are booked for mid-January 2017. We'll fly to HK and transfer directly onto a flight to Taipei fairly shortly after landing. That gets us into Taipei mid-morning. I know from experience that I never sleep that well on international flights and that I'll be pretty tired but I want to plan for some light-level sightseeing on that date. We have 5 nights in Taipei and will then fly back to HK. Not booked that flight yet but let's assume it's a morning departure for sake of planning and can adjust if I book something different.
My current thoughts are 3 nights in Taipei and 2 nights to visit one other destination in the country, perhaps Taroko Gorge? Could split that 4:1 if that makes more sense...
I'd really appreciate some tips on a few things:
* Recommendations for web resources to help me with my research - on attractions, food, day trips, anything relevant.
* For Taipei, thoughts on which area of the city to base ourselves - Xinyi, Daan, Old Taipei? Any particular hotels within the area you suggest that you can recommend? Of course, if we head of to Taroko Gorge (or elsewhere) we can always stay at different Taipei hotels before and after...
* Any advice related to the trip outside of Taipei - am I right to focus on Taroko Gorge? Is there somewhere else I should look at? Or do you think we'd be better staying in Taipei the entire time and taking some daytrips?
* It may help to know I'm a food-obsessive, in terms of your suggestions on what we should visit. I have of course googled the merits and disadvantages of the various food night markets but what other key foodie attractions should we visit?
- British, mid forties, love trips with a food/ drink focus.
- I have arthritis / hip and back problems so can't do a whole tonne of walking / have a preference for a hotel as near to a metro station as possible. The more I can use public transport (or taxis) to travel to sights, the more of my energy I can save for the actual sights themselves. The pain gets worse as day progresses, so I'll take that into account as I loosely plan daily itineraries too.
- Budget, not really set a ceiling yet, as too early in my research, but I guess middling. Will likely splurge more on food than really splurge on hotel.
I appreciate any tips, and of course if there is more information I can provide that would make it easier to give me helpful advice, please let me know!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Y0!YO : VERIZON mail Tec^h SuppOrt CONTACT 1:85S;999" 8045 verzion 24!7
- 2 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 3 Christmas in the Alps
- 4 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 5 2 weeks in Tokyo - Itinerary review please?
- 6 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 7 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 8 sri lanka- tips required
- 9 base bangkok or manilla
- 10 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 11 Our trip to Japan. Arigato gozaimasu
- 12 Idiotic time zone question
- 13 Ending another Asia trip in seattle
- 14 Japan travel during Obon 2017
- 15 Mount Koya
- 16 Sometahing is wrong
- 17 Twin rooms in Japan
- 18 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 19 Change my Itinerary?
- 20 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 21 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 22 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 23 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 24 Impressions of India
- 25 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer