My brother has been living in Taiwan for 6 or 7 years and last year moved from Taichung to Taitung. It's my first time going there to visit and as he and his wife haven't been able to travel to see us in Canada in the past 2 years, a big reason for my visit is seeing them. His wife should be relatively free/isn't work but he's teaching full time so my stay with them will probably work out best if it overlaps a weekend.
In short: I'm mostly there to see family (at least 4 nights with them with potential day trips and the intention of overlapping a weekend due to their work). I love cities but during prior solo trips have enjoyed the odd side trip to see nature. (For example, in Japan I loved both Kyoto and Tokyo with a week in each but visiting the bunny island was a real highlight and while I thought my one night on Koyasan was interesting and atmospheric, I wouldn't have wanted to spend much more time in the countryside.) I like architecture, people watching, cafes, bicycle riding and food (though no seafood :/ )
I'm going in April (11-21)and thus far I'm trying to decide between the following possible itineraries:
3n Tainan (straight from arriving around noon at the Taipei airport)
4n Taitung (perhaps on the weekend we can day trip to Green Island or up to Hualien/Tokoro Gorge)
3n Taipei (departing around 1pm from the airport so leaving Tiapei by 10am)
I could break it up a bit more/perhaps just that weekend is free and it's best I just stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Because that end bit would involve at least a 3.5hr train from Taitung to Taipei (so let's say getting in early afternoon) and then leaving by 10am on the last day, I'd really only get in 2.5 days in Taipei. Which seems quite scant for a large city.
3n Taipei (2.5 days)
1n Taitung (arrive early-ish, leave late-ish = 1 day?) not enough?
4n Taitung (arr after work on the friday, leave tues morning. giving me 3 full days
2n Taipei (arr mid day, so 1.5 days, leave morning of the 21st)
4n Taitung (this would depend on their schedules as it would put me there weds-sun)
Thoughts and input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 2 Bali private driver recommendation
- 3 North India Itinerary advice
- 4 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 5 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 6 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 7 The Indian money crunch.
- 8 The truth about elephant tourism
- 9 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 10 Travel agent for custom tour of Japan
- 11 Airport taxis in Bangkok
- 12 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 13 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 14 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 15 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 16 Kerala trip
- 17 E Visa for India?
- 18 1-2 months South East Asia
- 19 6 weeks: Thailand & Laos. Itinery review?
- 20 Help - India.
- 21 Nice article on Macau in the NYT
- 22 Our trip to Japan. Arigato gozaimasu
- 23 Halong Bay or Bagan?
- 24 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 25 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?