My brother has been living in Taiwan for 6 or 7 years and last year moved from Taichung to Taitung. It's my first time going there to visit and as he and his wife haven't been able to travel to see us in Canada in the past 2 years, a big reason for my visit is seeing them. His wife should be relatively free/isn't work but he's teaching full time so my stay with them will probably work out best if it overlaps a weekend.
In short: I'm mostly there to see family (at least 4 nights with them with potential day trips and the intention of overlapping a weekend due to their work). I love cities but during prior solo trips have enjoyed the odd side trip to see nature. (For example, in Japan I loved both Kyoto and Tokyo with a week in each but visiting the bunny island was a real highlight and while I thought my one night on Koyasan was interesting and atmospheric, I wouldn't have wanted to spend much more time in the countryside.) I like architecture, people watching, cafes, bicycle riding and food (though no seafood :/ )
I'm going in April (11-21)and thus far I'm trying to decide between the following possible itineraries:
3n Tainan (straight from arriving around noon at the Taipei airport)
4n Taitung (perhaps on the weekend we can day trip to Green Island or up to Hualien/Tokoro Gorge)
3n Taipei (departing around 1pm from the airport so leaving Tiapei by 10am)
I could break it up a bit more/perhaps just that weekend is free and it's best I just stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Because that end bit would involve at least a 3.5hr train from Taitung to Taipei (so let's say getting in early afternoon) and then leaving by 10am on the last day, I'd really only get in 2.5 days in Taipei. Which seems quite scant for a large city.
3n Taipei (2.5 days)
1n Taitung (arrive early-ish, leave late-ish = 1 day?) not enough?
4n Taitung (arr after work on the friday, leave tues morning. giving me 3 full days
2n Taipei (arr mid day, so 1.5 days, leave morning of the 21st)
4n Taitung (this would depend on their schedules as it would put me there weds-sun)
Thoughts and input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Transportation from PVG to Hotel
- 2 Bali - 1st Time Visit - Help with Itinerary
- 3 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 4 Impressions of India
- 5 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 6 Tokyo hotel help
- 7 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 8 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 9 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 10 Phone calls to UK from Japan
- 11 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 12 How much Yen?
- 13 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 14 South Korea for Chuseok
- 15 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 16 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 17 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 18 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 19 Bali - What to do?
- 20 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
- 21 AirAsia ASEAN pass?
- 22 help with s.e.a. trip destination for xmas, family of 4
- 23 travel to Malaysia or Indonesia
- 24 Bangkok transport to Shangri La Hotel
- 25 Private tours in Northern India