My brother has been living in Taiwan for 6 or 7 years and last year moved from Taichung to Taitung. It's my first time going there to visit and as he and his wife haven't been able to travel to see us in Canada in the past 2 years, a big reason for my visit is seeing them. His wife should be relatively free/isn't work but he's teaching full time so my stay with them will probably work out best if it overlaps a weekend.
In short: I'm mostly there to see family (at least 4 nights with them with potential day trips and the intention of overlapping a weekend due to their work). I love cities but during prior solo trips have enjoyed the odd side trip to see nature. (For example, in Japan I loved both Kyoto and Tokyo with a week in each but visiting the bunny island was a real highlight and while I thought my one night on Koyasan was interesting and atmospheric, I wouldn't have wanted to spend much more time in the countryside.) I like architecture, people watching, cafes, bicycle riding and food (though no seafood :/ )
I'm going in April (11-21)and thus far I'm trying to decide between the following possible itineraries:
3n Tainan (straight from arriving around noon at the Taipei airport)
4n Taitung (perhaps on the weekend we can day trip to Green Island or up to Hualien/Tokoro Gorge)
3n Taipei (departing around 1pm from the airport so leaving Tiapei by 10am)
I could break it up a bit more/perhaps just that weekend is free and it's best I just stay Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Because that end bit would involve at least a 3.5hr train from Taitung to Taipei (so let's say getting in early afternoon) and then leaving by 10am on the last day, I'd really only get in 2.5 days in Taipei. Which seems quite scant for a large city.
3n Taipei (2.5 days)
1n Taitung (arrive early-ish, leave late-ish = 1 day?) not enough?
4n Taitung (arr after work on the friday, leave tues morning. giving me 3 full days
2n Taipei (arr mid day, so 1.5 days, leave morning of the 21st)
4n Taitung (this would depend on their schedules as it would put me there weds-sun)
Thoughts and input appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 2 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 3 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 4 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 5 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 6 Phuket Beaches
- 7 India itinerary critique please
- 8 Japan Itinerary!
- 9 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 10 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 11 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 12 Magical India
- 13 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 14 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel
- 15 Vientiane and ??
- 16 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 17 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
- 18 16 days in Japan--how to divide time?
- 19 Himachal Pradesh
- 20 Luggage size China ?
- 21 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 22 Thai Elephants
- 23 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 24 Myanmar in Five days - Advice please!
- 25 Sri Lanka in August