I have been reading all of the trip reports and comments for Sri Lanka and they have been extremely helpful in planning my upcoming trip with my son. We have a total of 10 days in Sri Lanka (arriving February 19), and I'm trying to figure out how to maximize our time without exhausting my son. He of course wants to do EVERYTHING, but I feel that we need to edit. I have our flights and a driver. Here is the proposed itinerary:
2/19 arrive & drive to Habarana
2/20 AM Polonnaruwa, evening safari Minneriya
2/22 drive to Gampola via Dambulla, evening Kandy tour
2/23 Pinnawala elephant orphanage, spice gardens
2/24 go to Nuwara Eliya by train
2/25 Horton Plains & World's End
2/26 drive to Yala via Budhuruwagala (6 hours?)
2/27 AM safari
2/28 drive to Hikkaduwa
2/29 beach day
3/1 drive to airport for late evening flight
My son will like all of this - he's into animals, nature, anything outdoors but he also loves different cultures and is excited about all of the temples. My main concern/question is whether or not to go to Yala. It's far, and maybe our time would be better served by some relaxation at the end of our trip. Initially I had wanted to spend 3 nights in the Maldives at the end, to give us a chance to unwind and snorkel etc. What do you all think? Is Yala un-missable? Or is there anything else that may be redundant and/or not appropriate for a 10-year-old which could be eliminated in favor of a rest at the end? I know that there is no right answer of course, but if anyone has some specific insight with regard to kids, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 3 days with snow monkey visit.
- 2 Mumbai short visit
- 3 Advice Request: Japan Rail Pass for Two Weeks
- 4 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 5 Phuket Beaches
- 6 For those traveling to Bali soon
- 7 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 8 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 9 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 10 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 11 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 12 Pakistan Forum/ Unfriendly
- 13 Japan Itinerary!
- 14 What are some hidden gems in Hong Kong?
- 15 Japan Itinerary for 12 Nights and 13 Days
- 16 Thailand Guides
- 17 Bangkok in 3 days - Weekdays
- 18 Experiance /More Than 120 Countries
- 19 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 20 India itinerary critique please
- 21 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 22 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 23 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 24 Magical India
- 25 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel