Off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks mid-December. Doing a loop from Colombo -->Galle-->Tangalle-->Yala-->Nuwara Eliya-->Colombo (and a few other points in between). Moving every two days, with three days in Eliya.
Question: I could hire a driver and guide the entire trip but I don't know that I want someone in my business, so to speak, the entire 17 days. If you don't like the person, you're stuck with them for a long period of time. Not that I anticipate that being a problem, but it's a possibility.
I am a writer for Forbes, USA Today, etc. and will be using material from this holiday for articles, so on one hand, a driver/guide to point things out along the way is valuable, but I also want it to feel like a holiday and not a grand tour. I don't want to stop at their friends' businesses, etc. I want to get from point a to b and then get on the beach.
So, an alternative is to take a few trains (Colombo-Galle; Eliya-Colombo) and hire different drivers from point to point. But I keep getting told by Sri Lankans, like the Tourism Board that doing that "doesn't ensure the same quality and class of service" I might want/expect. Also, it might be a hassle having to organize a new driver every two days, but I could probably manage that through the hotels.
Any insights from folks who have done this and debated the same issue? Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 토토 총판 수입 kakao: dnj2016 텔레그램 : speed2017
- 2 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 3 Cab Service In Jaipur
- 4 Laos planning.
- 5 Bye bye SE Asia
- 6 Japan - costs
- 7 Japan for Foodies
- 8 Lava Tour Merapi Yogyakarta Report
- 9 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 10 Planning Honeymoon to Thailand
- 11 3 week SE Asia itinerary
- 12 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 13 Japan Rail Pass
- 14 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 15 south east asia 3 weeks in june
- 16 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 17 Sri Lanka May
- 18 20 days Itinerary Help!
- 19 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 20 Japan rough itinerary
- 21 Hokkaido and northern Honshu itinerary advice
- 22 Japan's Kyushu: Takachiho Gorge - Travel Report
- 23 Kamogawa Odori/Aoi Matsuri
- 24 One night in Osaka
- 25 David's Abbreviated Trip Report-Japan, Part 2-Sakura 2017
Sri Lanka: Full-time Driver or Trains/Drivers Point-to-Point?