Off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks mid-December. Doing a loop from Colombo -->Galle-->Tangalle-->Yala-->Nuwara Eliya-->Colombo (and a few other points in between). Moving every two days, with three days in Eliya.
Question: I could hire a driver and guide the entire trip but I don't know that I want someone in my business, so to speak, the entire 17 days. If you don't like the person, you're stuck with them for a long period of time. Not that I anticipate that being a problem, but it's a possibility.
I am a writer for Forbes, USA Today, etc. and will be using material from this holiday for articles, so on one hand, a driver/guide to point things out along the way is valuable, but I also want it to feel like a holiday and not a grand tour. I don't want to stop at their friends' businesses, etc. I want to get from point a to b and then get on the beach.
So, an alternative is to take a few trains (Colombo-Galle; Eliya-Colombo) and hire different drivers from point to point. But I keep getting told by Sri Lankans, like the Tourism Board that doing that "doesn't ensure the same quality and class of service" I might want/expect. Also, it might be a hassle having to organize a new driver every two days, but I could probably manage that through the hotels.
Any insights from folks who have done this and debated the same issue? Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 2 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 3 Trip Report : China
- 4 Staying in Chaoyang, XiCheng or Dongsheng - Beijing
- 5 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 6 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 7 Japan itinerary advice
- 8 Japan GTG, early April
- 9 Other than Kyoto?
- 10 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 11 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 12 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 13 Quickie Kathmandu visit worthwhile?
- 14 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 15 Japan: 34 days becomes 12 (or 17)
- 16 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 17 Beijing tours
- 18 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 19 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 20 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 21 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 22 A great trip in India
- 23 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 24 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 25 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
Sri Lanka: Full-time Driver or Trains/Drivers Point-to-Point?