Off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks mid-December. Doing a loop from Colombo -->Galle-->Tangalle-->Yala-->Nuwara Eliya-->Colombo (and a few other points in between). Moving every two days, with three days in Eliya.
Question: I could hire a driver and guide the entire trip but I don't know that I want someone in my business, so to speak, the entire 17 days. If you don't like the person, you're stuck with them for a long period of time. Not that I anticipate that being a problem, but it's a possibility.
I am a writer for Forbes, USA Today, etc. and will be using material from this holiday for articles, so on one hand, a driver/guide to point things out along the way is valuable, but I also want it to feel like a holiday and not a grand tour. I don't want to stop at their friends' businesses, etc. I want to get from point a to b and then get on the beach.
So, an alternative is to take a few trains (Colombo-Galle; Eliya-Colombo) and hire different drivers from point to point. But I keep getting told by Sri Lankans, like the Tourism Board that doing that "doesn't ensure the same quality and class of service" I might want/expect. Also, it might be a hassle having to organize a new driver every two days, but I could probably manage that through the hotels.
Any insights from folks who have done this and debated the same issue? Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 IMMUNIZATIONS Needed?? Thailand/Cambodia/Beijing
- 2 Do It Yourself/No taxi Tour in China?
- 3 Transportation from PVG to Hotel
- 4 Bali - 1st Time Visit - Help with Itinerary
- 5 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 6 Impressions of India
- 7 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 8 Tokyo hotel help
- 9 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 10 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 11 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 12 Phone calls to UK from Japan
- 13 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 14 How much Yen?
- 15 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 16 South Korea for Chuseok
- 17 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 18 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 19 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 20 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 21 Bali - What to do?
- 22 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
- 23 AirAsia ASEAN pass?
- 24 help with s.e.a. trip destination for xmas, family of 4
- 25 travel to Malaysia or Indonesia
Sri Lanka: Full-time Driver or Trains/Drivers Point-to-Point?