Off to Sri Lanka in a few weeks mid-December. Doing a loop from Colombo -->Galle-->Tangalle-->Yala-->Nuwara Eliya-->Colombo (and a few other points in between). Moving every two days, with three days in Eliya.
Question: I could hire a driver and guide the entire trip but I don't know that I want someone in my business, so to speak, the entire 17 days. If you don't like the person, you're stuck with them for a long period of time. Not that I anticipate that being a problem, but it's a possibility.
I am a writer for Forbes, USA Today, etc. and will be using material from this holiday for articles, so on one hand, a driver/guide to point things out along the way is valuable, but I also want it to feel like a holiday and not a grand tour. I don't want to stop at their friends' businesses, etc. I want to get from point a to b and then get on the beach.
So, an alternative is to take a few trains (Colombo-Galle; Eliya-Colombo) and hire different drivers from point to point. But I keep getting told by Sri Lankans, like the Tourism Board that doing that "doesn't ensure the same quality and class of service" I might want/expect. Also, it might be a hassle having to organize a new driver every two days, but I could probably manage that through the hotels.
Any insights from folks who have done this and debated the same issue? Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Twin rooms in Japan
- 2 sri lanka- tips required
- 3 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 4 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 5 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 6 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 7 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 8 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 9 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 10 Impressions of India
- 11 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 12 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 13 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 14 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 15 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 16 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!
- 17 Christmas in the Alps
- 18 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 19 Is the Bennesse Naoshima Worth It?
- 20 Yercaud – Cheapest Getaway from Chennai
- 21 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 22 Laos or Kerala?
- 23 Yogyakarta, Java. Indonesian Cuisine! - Travel Report
- 24 Bali & Singapore in October
- 25 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
Sri Lanka: Full-time Driver or Trains/Drivers Point-to-Point?