My DH and I are seriously thinking about spending the winter months (Jan - end of March) in South East Asia instead of Mexico. We are in our early seventies, like independent travel and would hope to spend time in Thailand, Laos (Luang Prabang), possibly Cambodia, and Vietnam. We would like to include down time at a beach location, but also want to take the opportunity to visit places like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hanoi etc. Our energy level is not what it used to be and bad knees rule out any serious hiking. I have done a lot of reading in guidebooks and also posts on the various forums. I guess what I would like to ask is if anyone else our age has made a similar trip, which mode of transport would be the most comfortable/advisable, and whether the sequence in which we visit the countries would make any difference. We like staying in private rooms in guest houses, and envision staying put in certain places for up to 2 weeks, may be renting an apartment or bungalow. We hope to use frequent flyer points and fly in to e.g. Bangkok and out of HCMC.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Do It Yourself/No taxi Tour in China?
- 2 IMMUNIZATIONS Needed?? Thailand/Cambodia/Beijing
- 3 Transportation from PVG to Hotel
- 4 Bali - 1st Time Visit - Help with Itinerary
- 5 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 6 Impressions of India
- 7 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 8 Tokyo hotel help
- 9 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 10 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 11 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 12 Phone calls to UK from Japan
- 13 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 14 How much Yen?
- 15 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 16 South Korea for Chuseok
- 17 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 18 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 19 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 20 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 21 Bali - What to do?
- 22 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
- 23 AirAsia ASEAN pass?
- 24 help with s.e.a. trip destination for xmas, family of 4
- 25 travel to Malaysia or Indonesia