I just did some business today with a bunch of Koreans. Being that I am a traveler at heart (boy do I miss those days), traveling to South Korean ran through my mind today. Is South Korea not really on the beaten path or am I simply misinformed? I mean, it seems like travelers are flocking to China to see the Asian ‘rising star’, the grand cities versus the historical sites (the Great Wall, etc). It seems like tourists flock to Japan for its amazingly sophisticated culture, its nature, history and for Tokyo’s vibrancy. Southeast Asian travelers seem to be there for the tropics, mystic settings, food, exotic activities (riding an elephant, etc.), affordable pricing, bungalow lodging, etc. However, what about South Korea?
I guess what I found strange is that Rough Guide-one of my favorite travel guides-did not even bother to publish anything on South Korea. I am not sure, but I think Fodor’s too didn’t publish anything. All I found was Lonely Planet. South Korea does not strike me as an ‘undiscovered’ destination, yet it also doesn’t strike me as a destination where tourists are flocking to for some reason. Is the word on the street that South Korea is not an Asia highlight (like Japan, China, Hong Kong, etc.)? What am I missing?
South Korea: Are Asia-Bound Tourists Visiting There?
- 1 Magical India
- 2 Questions, questions and more questions for first time trip to Asia
- 3 Bangkok-Skytrain Update
- 4 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 5 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 6 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 7 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT
- 8 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 9 Can I get Kopi Luwak coffee in Bangkok
- 10 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 11 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 12 South East Asia
- 13 7 Days in Sri Lanka
- 14 India's Online VISA Application
- 15 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 16 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 17 Airport - hotel transportation in Thailand
- 18 Which mosquito repellent to use for a 9 year old child?
- 19 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 20 Bangkok restaurant or unique experience for anniversary
- 21 Finding a Small electric Kettle in BKK
- 22 Overwhelmed by info...First time in Philippines...What Island
- 23 Hotel Majestic-Saigon
- 24 RECOMMENDATIONS for PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE IN YANGON?
- 25 Questions -> Ko Phi Phi - 4 nights