I just did some business today with a bunch of Koreans. Being that I am a traveler at heart (boy do I miss those days), traveling to South Korean ran through my mind today. Is South Korea not really on the beaten path or am I simply misinformed? I mean, it seems like travelers are flocking to China to see the Asian ‘rising star’, the grand cities versus the historical sites (the Great Wall, etc). It seems like tourists flock to Japan for its amazingly sophisticated culture, its nature, history and for Tokyo’s vibrancy. Southeast Asian travelers seem to be there for the tropics, mystic settings, food, exotic activities (riding an elephant, etc.), affordable pricing, bungalow lodging, etc. However, what about South Korea?
I guess what I found strange is that Rough Guide-one of my favorite travel guides-did not even bother to publish anything on South Korea. I am not sure, but I think Fodor’s too didn’t publish anything. All I found was Lonely Planet. South Korea does not strike me as an ‘undiscovered’ destination, yet it also doesn’t strike me as a destination where tourists are flocking to for some reason. Is the word on the street that South Korea is not an Asia highlight (like Japan, China, Hong Kong, etc.)? What am I missing?
South Korea: Are Asia-Bound Tourists Visiting There?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 2 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 3 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 4 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 5 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 6 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 7 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 8 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 9 4-5 days in SE Asia
- 10 Where did you exchange dollars for Rupees??
- 11 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 12 1st time Japan - solo female
- 13 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 14 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 15 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 16 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 17 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 18 Odyssey unlimited
- 19 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 20 Best of NHK - Video Streaming
- 21 Myanmar Burma travel agent
- 22 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 23 Need your Expertise with my Japanese........Itinerary!
- 24 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 25 1 week in North and Central Vietnam in February