I just did some business today with a bunch of Koreans. Being that I am a traveler at heart (boy do I miss those days), traveling to South Korean ran through my mind today. Is South Korea not really on the beaten path or am I simply misinformed? I mean, it seems like travelers are flocking to China to see the Asian ‘rising star’, the grand cities versus the historical sites (the Great Wall, etc). It seems like tourists flock to Japan for its amazingly sophisticated culture, its nature, history and for Tokyo’s vibrancy. Southeast Asian travelers seem to be there for the tropics, mystic settings, food, exotic activities (riding an elephant, etc.), affordable pricing, bungalow lodging, etc. However, what about South Korea?
I guess what I found strange is that Rough Guide-one of my favorite travel guides-did not even bother to publish anything on South Korea. I am not sure, but I think Fodor’s too didn’t publish anything. All I found was Lonely Planet. South Korea does not strike me as an ‘undiscovered’ destination, yet it also doesn’t strike me as a destination where tourists are flocking to for some reason. Is the word on the street that South Korea is not an Asia highlight (like Japan, China, Hong Kong, etc.)? What am I missing?
South Korea: Are Asia-Bound Tourists Visiting There?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 2 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 3 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 4 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 5 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 6 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 7 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 8 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 9 How safe is Delhi/India
- 10 Malaria
- 11 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 12 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 13 Vietnam and coffee
- 14 I'm going to Japan!
- 15 Living in Bangalore, India for 12 months. How to handle Malaria?
- 16 Diving in Thailand? Be aware!
- 17 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 18 Cherry blossom
- 19 Hua Hin or another family friendly beach?
- 20 Trip Report on Recent Journey to Nepal
- 21 Shopping in Akhiabara
- 22 Which Putu in Bali????
- 23 Calling all Boracay experts!
- 24 10 hour layover in Tokyo Narita Airport
- 25 Suggestion for which city to break up our flights on the way to India?