I visited India (loved it!) in December and just finished my trip report: (www.travelmusings.net/india/)
Thank you to previous posters for your advice. Here are my recommendations:
- Stay at Casa Colvale:
- Check out Jew Town. Bring socks for the Synagogue tour
- See the Chinese fishing nets at sunset
- Indulge in a Kalari massage at Malabar House:
- Visit the Hindu Temple in Varkala Town on a Sunday morning. Intimidating but interesting. You will receive a lot of attention from kids and adults
- Take the cliffwalk south, past the shops and restaurants. It's very scenic
- Look into the Blue Water Beach Resort:
- Book some spa treatments. Spas rated an Olive Leaf or Green Leaf designation by the Kerala Tourism Board are "legit":
- Just because beer isn't on the menu doesn't mean it isn't available
- Eat at Cafe del Mar
- Stay at the ITC Grand Central (although it's kind of removed) in the Towers. You can use Starwood points:
- Check out the Ellora Caves on Elephanta Island
- Stop by Dhobi Ghat. Be prepared for some interactions
- See Haji Ali Dargah
- Go next door to the Mahalaxmi Temple (and bring socks)
- Shop at Bombay Electric if you want fashionable clothing and price is no object:
- Lunch at Not Just Jazz by the Bay:
- Enjoy evening cocktails on the deck of The Intercontinental:
- VISIT THE JAIN TEMPLE near Malabar Hill
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Do It Yourself/No taxi Tour in China?
- 2 Tokyo hotel help
- 3 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 4 Moderate hotel in Phuket
- 5 Silk weaving community in Bangkok
- 6 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 7 Transportation from PVG to Hotel
- 8 IMMUNIZATIONS Needed?? Thailand/Cambodia/Beijing
- 9 Bali - 1st Time Visit - Help with Itinerary
- 10 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 11 Impressions of India
- 12 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 13 sri lanka two places, two hotels
- 14 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 15 Phone calls to UK from Japan
- 16 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 17 How much Yen?
- 18 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 19 South Korea for Chuseok
- 20 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 21 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 22 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 23 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 24 Bali - What to do?
- 25 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
South India Advice/Trip Report: Goa, Fort Cochin, Varkala, and Mumbai