Myself and my girlfriend are planning 3 weeks holiday in Malaysia and Thailand in January. We'll be starting in Singapore, as we will have been staying with my uncle there after my New Years Eve gig in Hong Kong (nice work if you can get it!) - after that we can do what we like in 3 weeks. I thought we'd probably travel mostly by rail through Malaysia and Thailand, spending plenty of time enjoying the beaches as well as the rainforest etc. Guessing its probably best to work our way up to Bangkok and fly back from there but I'm open to suggestions.
We have a reasonable budget so don't need to scrimp too much, we'd like a reasonably laid back and comfortable time while still taking in the landscape and culture of Malaysia and Thailand. I heard the "jungle railway" is a really amazing trip, but does it go to the side of the peninsula that's best to visit? Or is it worth doing for its own sake? Someone mentioned the east side in January is too rainy, is this true?
Would like to do the following - beaches, islands, boat trips/rafting, snorkelling, seeing the rainforest (no long treks though) and anything else that you can recommend!!! Not really interested in shopping, spending too much time in the cities, or partying (well maybe a little).
We'd really appreciate suggestions, ideas and even whole itineraries!! How much time should we spend in each place, which rail routes are best, how to get to the islands etc.
Thanks in advance for your help - we're currently excited but a bit clueless!
Jamie and Lou
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in 3 weeks - itinerary help please!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 We Did It Our Way--an Unusual 6 Weeks in India & Nepal (long)
- 2 Thailand during the rainy season, have you been?
- 3 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 4 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 5 vietnam and laos
- 6 narrow down destinations, Japan 2 weeks in April
- 7 Hong Kong Airport Transfer
- 8 Hanoi driver wanted
- 9 Budget Restaurants in Varkala
- 10 best time to visit Sri Lanka to avoid rain?
- 11 MYANMAR- LONELY BIKER LOOKS FOR OTHERS TRAVELLING THERE HALF JANUARY 2015
- 12 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 13 Suggestion for travel memories
- 14 First Time Solo Trip To Thailand Itinerary
- 15 From Ryokan to Buddhist Monastery: Two Weeks in Japan
- 16 1st time to Southeast Asian January 14 to 31
- 17 Your favorites in south India & places you'd probably not recommend
- 18 Southern India itinerary help needed
- 19 Factory "outlet" stores in Vietnam?
- 20 Missing Air Asia flight
- 21 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 22 5 nights in Japan.
- 23 Delhi this winter, in pictures!
- 24 2nd location on the beach
- 25 Buying loose sapphires in Sri Lanka