Myself and my girlfriend are planning 3 weeks holiday in Malaysia and Thailand in January. We'll be starting in Singapore, as we will have been staying with my uncle there after my New Years Eve gig in Hong Kong (nice work if you can get it!) - after that we can do what we like in 3 weeks. I thought we'd probably travel mostly by rail through Malaysia and Thailand, spending plenty of time enjoying the beaches as well as the rainforest etc. Guessing its probably best to work our way up to Bangkok and fly back from there but I'm open to suggestions.
We have a reasonable budget so don't need to scrimp too much, we'd like a reasonably laid back and comfortable time while still taking in the landscape and culture of Malaysia and Thailand. I heard the "jungle railway" is a really amazing trip, but does it go to the side of the peninsula that's best to visit? Or is it worth doing for its own sake? Someone mentioned the east side in January is too rainy, is this true?
Would like to do the following - beaches, islands, boat trips/rafting, snorkelling, seeing the rainforest (no long treks though) and anything else that you can recommend!!! Not really interested in shopping, spending too much time in the cities, or partying (well maybe a little).
We'd really appreciate suggestions, ideas and even whole itineraries!! How much time should we spend in each place, which rail routes are best, how to get to the islands etc.
Thanks in advance for your help - we're currently excited but a bit clueless!
Jamie and Lou
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 SILK BLANKETS: BEIJING or SHANGHAI
- 2 November Itinerary Check
- 3 Advising hotels of time of arrival?
- 4 process for arriving in Narita airport
- 5 Travel within Japan
- 6 Family Trip to India late May/early June
- 7 Bangkok Hotel- near BTS & late check out
- 8 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 9 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 10 So excited - going to Siem Reap
- 11 Hotel Chang Mai
- 12 Floods in North and Central Vietnam
- 13 A comprehensive guide for tourists visiting North Goa
- 14 Bhutan paro Tshechu
- 15 Thailand
- 16 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 17 Kindly request/need 30 days Thailand+Vietnam itineary advice
- 18 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 19 Ankor Wat - sunset , sunrise, itinerary
- 20 Hotel in Hanoi
- 21 India help needed
- 22 Beach hotel Thailand
- 23 Cruise to Vietnam -Excursions from cruise terminal
- 24 Permit alert Andaman Islands
- 25 Sim cards and adaptors
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in 3 weeks - itinerary help please!