Myself and my girlfriend are planning 3 weeks holiday in Malaysia and Thailand in January. We'll be starting in Singapore, as we will have been staying with my uncle there after my New Years Eve gig in Hong Kong (nice work if you can get it!) - after that we can do what we like in 3 weeks. I thought we'd probably travel mostly by rail through Malaysia and Thailand, spending plenty of time enjoying the beaches as well as the rainforest etc. Guessing its probably best to work our way up to Bangkok and fly back from there but I'm open to suggestions.
We have a reasonable budget so don't need to scrimp too much, we'd like a reasonably laid back and comfortable time while still taking in the landscape and culture of Malaysia and Thailand. I heard the "jungle railway" is a really amazing trip, but does it go to the side of the peninsula that's best to visit? Or is it worth doing for its own sake? Someone mentioned the east side in January is too rainy, is this true?
Would like to do the following - beaches, islands, boat trips/rafting, snorkelling, seeing the rainforest (no long treks though) and anything else that you can recommend!!! Not really interested in shopping, spending too much time in the cities, or partying (well maybe a little).
We'd really appreciate suggestions, ideas and even whole itineraries!! How much time should we spend in each place, which rail routes are best, how to get to the islands etc.
Thanks in advance for your help - we're currently excited but a bit clueless!
Jamie and Lou
Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand in 3 weeks - itinerary help please!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Myanmar - Organizing Trip for 2015
- 2 Exploring Thailand
- 3 Nha Trang Island, Phu Quoc, or Sihanoukville
- 4 Japan in December
- 5 A Few Osaka & Kyoto Questions Kudasai!
- 6 Drivers for Laos & Java
- 7 Destination Bangkok, again
- 8 10 Day trip to Thailand - end of March
- 9 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 10 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 11 Phuket
- 12 More time in Hoi An or Nha Trang? Not beach enthusiasts
- 13 Vietnam Itinerary - Please
- 14 Looking for advice on short Burma itinerary
- 15 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 16 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 17 Phones in Asia
- 18 Scouting for early retirement locations
- 19 marmot and Others - Looking for Bali Furniture Advice
- 20 Recommended reading about Nepal
- 21 India Add-on
- 22 Hong Kong in June - Oh The Humidity!!
- 23 Luang Prabang -- budget guesthouse?
- 24 Travel during China national week?
- 25 Japan--Visiting Saihoji (Moss Temple)