I have two guide-related questions for my upcoming 3 day trip to Siem Reap and 1 day trip to Phnom Penh:
1) I'm looking at Trip Advisor's recommended sites for Siem Reap. How can I differentiate between who is a driver and who is an educated tour guide who will explain everything and teach us history? We want to use our three days to get educated about history. Not a tour guide who will give a few basic stats and leave us on our own to read our guidebook. Recommendations welcome!
2) Can I get around myself for one full day (arrive Wednesday night, leave Friday morning) without a guide in Phnom Penh? I want to efficiently pack in as much as possible. My husband and I are experienced travelers good with maps and a few SE Asia trips under our belts. Would a guide help, or is getting around the city self-explanatory?
Siem Reap & Phnom Penh - types of tour guides?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 2 Loy Krathong - do you need tickets?
- 3 Nancy Chandler maps
- 4 flight from Mandalay to Luang Prabang
- 5 15 days in Japan in March/April
- 6 Advice on Tipping in Bali
- 7 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 8 getting from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi
- 9 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 10 Where to buy a Yukuta, rather than a Kimono...?
- 11 Elephant Village Sanctuary in Luang Prabang - which trip?
- 12 Help re. Visa.
- 13 possible trip for family of 4 to Japan over New Years. Is it worth trying?
- 14 Recommended hotels/activities in Huahin
- 15 Bangkok and Manila
- 16 Medical/supplemental insurance for India
- 17 Ranthambore - where to stay?
- 18 16 days in Vietnam
- 19 Guide in Bagan?
- 20 Day Tours Phuket, Krabi
- 21 Next step - drive or be driven - Mae Hong Son loop
- 22 Dentist
- 23 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 24 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 25 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014