We are going to Shanghai for the first time for a long weekend - early September - will probably have 4 days on the ground, as planning to leave HKG on a Wednesday night, so will have Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sunday. We live in Hong Kong and while I want to see Shanghai a lot of the attractions and wandeirng the city seems like Hong Kong, so I prefer to go to Suzhou or Hangzhou for part of the time....Going from one big Chinese city to another isn't as exciting to me as getting out to gardens, parks, etc.
As you can fly direct cheaply from HKG to Hangzhou I think this trip we will go to Suzhou. i also want to go to one of the less crowded water towns - Tongli? Recommendations please. Also, how many nights in Suzhou, one or two? Right now I am thinking this:
Night 1 - Arrive Pudong, hotel in Pudong likely (ritz or starwood)
Day/Night 2 - Thursday - train to Suzhou, bus/taxi to Tongji, spend night in Suzhou
Day 3 - Friday - Suzhou gardens, back to Shanghai (hotel in Shanghai - Bund area)
Day 4- Saturday - Shanghai
Day 5 - Sunday - Shanghai - evening flight back to Hong Kong.
Any thoughts /advice welcomed! Is this too much time in Suzhou? Too much in Shanghai? Can I shave a night off at the beginning of the trip?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 2 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 3 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 4 Osaka, aquarium?
- 5 2-3 weeks in Asia this fall
- 6 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 7 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 8 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 9 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 10 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 11 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 12 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 13 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 14 Indonesia travel agent
- 15 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 16 A beach of choice on Samui
- 17 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 18 Bangkok Taxis
- 19 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 20 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 21 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US
- 22 A month in central Asia
- 23 Central Asia Four Week Itinerary
- 24 Something about... Malaysia
- 25 Day trip from Kuala Lumpur