I am headed to Shanghai in mid-November for my first China business trip and thought I would go five days early to do some touring. Have been reading shanghainese(?) postings and getting some great ideas there. One of the suggestions was to wait and book day trips when I get there so anything to look for or avoid? Is it better to book through the hotel? I will be by myself (female and 50s) and would probably take one day low key to recover, one day to tour Shanghai, and the other days to visit some of the outlying water towns and gardens. Noticed that Grey Line Tours have several packages and has anyone taken those and, if so, your thoughts? My company is paying for my airfare so don't need to book a package from Seattle but if there are land packages anyone has done and enjoyed, that would be great. Also have a gazillion Marriott points so can anyone recommend which of the Marriott properties would be located best to use as home base? Just a little anxious as 1) just found out I am going and don't have lots of time to research, and 2) have managed my way around Europe on independent travel but this seems really intimidating!
Shanghai for 5 days in November
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Would appreciate your comments on my Vietnam itinerary
- 2 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 3 looking for a great hotel in K.L./ Lost camera!!!!!!!
- 4 Myanmar - A Visit to a Country in Transition
- 5 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 6 Problems booking a hotel in Tokyo
- 7 4-5 days in SE Asia
- 8 Kyushu & Honshu Fall 2011
- 9 Where did you exchange dollars for Rupees??
- 10 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 11 1st time Japan - solo female
- 12 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 13 David's Trip Report--Japan- November 2013
- 14 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 15 3 weeks in Japan- Finalized... I think
- 16 Travelling to Thailand from U.S. this June/July
- 17 Odyssey unlimited
- 18 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 19 Best of NHK - Video Streaming
- 20 Myanmar Burma travel agent
- 21 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 22 Need your Expertise with my Japanese........Itinerary!
- 23 Itinerary set: Now some logistical questions on first time trip to Japan
- 24 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 25 1 week in North and Central Vietnam in February