I am headed to Shanghai in mid-November for my first China business trip and thought I would go five days early to do some touring. Have been reading shanghainese(?) postings and getting some great ideas there. One of the suggestions was to wait and book day trips when I get there so anything to look for or avoid? Is it better to book through the hotel? I will be by myself (female and 50s) and would probably take one day low key to recover, one day to tour Shanghai, and the other days to visit some of the outlying water towns and gardens. Noticed that Grey Line Tours have several packages and has anyone taken those and, if so, your thoughts? My company is paying for my airfare so don't need to book a package from Seattle but if there are land packages anyone has done and enjoyed, that would be great. Also have a gazillion Marriott points so can anyone recommend which of the Marriott properties would be located best to use as home base? Just a little anxious as 1) just found out I am going and don't have lots of time to research, and 2) have managed my way around Europe on independent travel but this seems really intimidating!
Shanghai for 5 days in November
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 tips and ideas for 10 days in Sri Lanka, train travel, beach options
- 2 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 3 Chiang Mai - Sightseeing
- 4 Vietnam Family Travel Plans
- 5 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 6 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 7 Vietnam Itinerary - should I drop anything as too much
- 8 NYT Article on Myanmar
- 9 Lcuy's 2015 Jaunt to Japan; Kyushu w/ Fukuoka, Kumamoto & Kurokawa Onsen
- 10 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 11 60+ travelers to Vietnam, package tour or day tours?
- 12 Phuket and surrounding areas
- 13 Anything in Hanoi apart from the Old Quarter
- 14 hokkaido outskirts
- 15 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 16 HKIA taxi with 3 people plus luggage?
- 17 July itinerary in Japan
- 18 India and Nepal 2014
- 19 4-1/2 days in Seoul
- 20 Phones, staying in touch and SIM cards in India
- 21 2 Wonderful Weeks in Thailand
- 22 How early do you get to get to the airport in Thailand?
- 23 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 24 Hong Kong and ? for 8 days in April
- 25 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published