I am headed to Shanghai in mid-November for my first China business trip and thought I would go five days early to do some touring. Have been reading shanghainese(?) postings and getting some great ideas there. One of the suggestions was to wait and book day trips when I get there so anything to look for or avoid? Is it better to book through the hotel? I will be by myself (female and 50s) and would probably take one day low key to recover, one day to tour Shanghai, and the other days to visit some of the outlying water towns and gardens. Noticed that Grey Line Tours have several packages and has anyone taken those and, if so, your thoughts? My company is paying for my airfare so don't need to book a package from Seattle but if there are land packages anyone has done and enjoyed, that would be great. Also have a gazillion Marriott points so can anyone recommend which of the Marriott properties would be located best to use as home base? Just a little anxious as 1) just found out I am going and don't have lots of time to research, and 2) have managed my way around Europe on independent travel but this seems really intimidating!
Shanghai for 5 days in November
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Will the new $100 bill be rejected or accepted in Burma?
- 2 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 3 Seeing autumn leaves in "rural" Japan
- 4 day bus Yangon -Kalaw?
- 5 Places to buy Malaysian fine crafts
- 6 help with itinerary!
- 7 Thailand Flights-Bangkok to Phuket
- 8 Airport pick up from Narita
- 9 Short trip to Bangkok via Dubai
- 10 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 11 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 12 Advice re. day trip from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai & Golden Triangle
- 13 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea
- 14 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 15 Fly into Osaka instead of Tokyo for Koyosan to Nikko trip?
- 16 TRIP REPORT: Bangkok, Angkor, PhiPhi (2 weeks in rainy season)
- 17 Day trip by car from Kyoto?
- 18 Myanmar evisa system now working well.
- 19 Christmas Time in India
- 20 Having doubts with China
- 21 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 22 Phu Quoc, Vietnam
- 23 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 24 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 25 What are the best near places to tour from Panchalingeswar in Odisha