I am headed to Shanghai in mid-November for my first China business trip and thought I would go five days early to do some touring. Have been reading shanghainese(?) postings and getting some great ideas there. One of the suggestions was to wait and book day trips when I get there so anything to look for or avoid? Is it better to book through the hotel? I will be by myself (female and 50s) and would probably take one day low key to recover, one day to tour Shanghai, and the other days to visit some of the outlying water towns and gardens. Noticed that Grey Line Tours have several packages and has anyone taken those and, if so, your thoughts? My company is paying for my airfare so don't need to book a package from Seattle but if there are land packages anyone has done and enjoyed, that would be great. Also have a gazillion Marriott points so can anyone recommend which of the Marriott properties would be located best to use as home base? Just a little anxious as 1) just found out I am going and don't have lots of time to research, and 2) have managed my way around Europe on independent travel but this seems really intimidating!
Shanghai for 5 days in November
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Jakarta or Kuala Lumpor
- 2 Chiang Mai OR Luang Prabang
- 3 flight details from Chicago area to BKK
- 4 Vacay to Thailand end of December-January 2014
- 5 Honeymoon in december 2014
- 6 Travel during China national week?
- 7 Don't use World Expeditions
- 8 Food tours in HCMC/Saigon?
- 9 anyone been to minsk aircraft carrier, Shenzhen while staying in Kowloon
- 10 Trip report/blog - 10 days in Tokyo and Kyoto
- 11 Knockoff Designer bags in Vietnam?
- 12 Affordable accommodation in Yangon near Sule Pagoda
- 13 Bangkok - Side trip to Ayutthaya
- 14 3 days in Teheran
- 15 Destination Bangkok, again
- 16 Trip Report and Diary - Tokyo in 7 Days
- 17 Weekend Market and Or Tor Kor-Bangkok
- 18 Bangkok - Weekend train excursion to Kanchanaburi and/or Nam Tok
- 19 Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai -- HOW?
- 20 15 Days in Japan, Itinerary Help Please
- 21 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 22 Favorite travel apps?
- 23 4 wonderful solo weeks in South Korea
- 24 Selecting A Guide for Bhutan (Bridge To Bhutan)
- 25 Foreign currency