I am headed to Shanghai in mid-November for my first China business trip and thought I would go five days early to do some touring. Have been reading shanghainese(?) postings and getting some great ideas there. One of the suggestions was to wait and book day trips when I get there so anything to look for or avoid? Is it better to book through the hotel? I will be by myself (female and 50s) and would probably take one day low key to recover, one day to tour Shanghai, and the other days to visit some of the outlying water towns and gardens. Noticed that Grey Line Tours have several packages and has anyone taken those and, if so, your thoughts? My company is paying for my airfare so don't need to book a package from Seattle but if there are land packages anyone has done and enjoyed, that would be great. Also have a gazillion Marriott points so can anyone recommend which of the Marriott properties would be located best to use as home base? Just a little anxious as 1) just found out I am going and don't have lots of time to research, and 2) have managed my way around Europe on independent travel but this seems really intimidating!
Shanghai for 5 days in November
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Is Diu,india nice to place to travel?
- 2 Travel during China national week?
- 3 Where to stay in Hong Kong and Macau
- 4 Early November, Water Bungalows, Excellend Medical Facilities
- 5 A wow spot
- 6 Please comment re. itinerary for Indochina
- 7 Considering a month in Hong Kong - Feb/15. Any apartment suggestions?
- 8 When to go to Japan in April 2015 (blossoms but avoiding Golden Week)
- 9 Burma (Myanmar) proposed itinerary
- 10 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 11 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 12 climbing in Vietnam
- 13 Vegan food in Japan?
- 14 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 15 A quick breakfast in Hong Kong
- 16 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 17 Thailand and Southeast Asia - Advice for Lone Female
- 18 trip to sapa not taking a tour
- 19 Which Thai island: Ko Phangan, Ko Koh Kao - or another island???
- 20 Honeymoon in Nha Trang
- 21 Vietnam- when to go to avoid the rain?
- 22 Jw Marriott Phuket or Kho Lak.
- 23 Japan over the New Year
- 24 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 25 Can I arrive 5 days earlier then stated on VISA application?