3 Days in Seoul in late April.
Accommodation - An airbnb place for about US $60 per night. It was clean, quiet and comfortable and everything worked properly. It's in a quiet residential neighborhood but still close to everything. Look on airbnb for "btw Seoul Station and Hongdae."
Food - Not easy to find places for breakfast and I never found the good bibimbap that I was hoping for, but there are lots of good dumplings.
Costs - Very low. Food, subways, taxis, museums are all very good value.
Weather - It rained almost the entire time.
People - Not all that much English spoken, but I was able to get by perfectly well. On a few occasions people came over to ask if I needed help finding something.
Temples - Saw three of the main ones. I suppose if you are an architecture buff, you will enjoy them. For me, they all looked pretty much the same. I took the Secret Garden Tour which was no big deal. Perhaps in the fall it is better.
Museums - The Korean War Museum was ok, but surprisingly outdated. It was a victory for liberal democracy over communist tyranny? The south was just as tyrannical as the north at that time. The Seodaemun Prison was more interesting. And I found the World Cup museum enjoyable. It was nice to have the stadium entirely to myself.
The Cheonggyecheon stream promenade was a nice walk. And though I don't know which one, one of the mountains was located right near the apt I stayed at. It was an easy climb and with great views. I also liked walking around Insadong and Itaewon.
Jimjilbangs - Went to three. The Silloam was a bit hard to find, but interesting with about a hundred nude Korean bathers. At Itaewonland, there were only about 6 other people there. Both were about US $6 to enter. The Spa on Air at Incheon airport is the most expensive and least clean, but also least crowded and a nice treat before or after a flight.
Seoul Trip Report
3 Days in Seoul in late April.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 rkkwan's Nepal trip Sept 2014 - Kathmandu, Pokhara, Poon Hill Trek
- 2 Trying To Decide Between These 2 Hotels In Singapore
- 3 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 4 Hong Kong Island Hotels - Far From Central
- 5 My SEA trip : 2 months
- 6 Travelling with 3 yr old; please comment on 10 day itinerary
- 7 Ryoken recommendation pls either in Tokyo;Hiroshima;Kyoto?
- 8 A little help with my Burma plan..
- 9 Travel & leisure reports Burma as one of most dangerous countries to visit
- 10 Staying 3 nights in Jaisalmer, what attractions we should see
- 11 Krabi island tours
- 12 beaches in Thailand
- 13 Anatara Riverside Bangkok
- 14 3 1/2 weeks in Japan. Do I need dinner reservations anywhere?
- 15 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 16 Kyushu rail pass
- 17 6 full days in Yagoon
- 18 Juphal and dunai help needed
- 19 Feedback on Thailand/SE Asia initial itinerary w/ kids
- 20 2 Weeks Thailand Honeymoon
- 21 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 22 A question concerning Sri Lanka's rainfall in Jan.
- 23 Tucan Travel Wonders of India and Nepal Review - Travelers, Beware!
- 24 Currency in South Korea
- 25 Tipping in Japan