We are considering plans for our next trip, and India seems to be at the top of the list for mid-late February. Looking at probably 12 nights on the ground excluding international flights. After some preliminary research I am pretty sure we will focus on a northern itinerary...main interests as of now: New Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, Jaipur, Udaipur, Ranthambore. Obviously it will not work to include all six destinations...New Delhi a must because of flights, Agra a must for Taj. I am drawn towards including Varanasi and while I really love the idea of Ranthambore, think that will have to be one of the two locations we drop. So....that leaves Udaipur and Jaipur - how to choose between them? Thoughts? Suggestions?
We love history, architecture, good food, and a mix of city/country. We enjoy experiencing new cultures, hiking, and love scenic beauty. A little shopping goes a long way for us and we generally choose 1 or 2 museums on a trip, but that is rarely our focus. Recent trips have combined Istanbul with Cappadocia and Ephesus/Sirince, and trekking the Inca Trail to M.P. with time in Cusco and the Amazon Basin outside of Puerto Maldonado in Peru.. I hope that helps give a feel.
Any suggestions for an amazing first trip to India in February for 2 active couples, mid 40's-mid 60's folks? We want some diversity of experience and are willing to schlep a bit if going that far, but don't want to hop around constantly. I am thinking we will do some combo of flying and hiring a driver. Would also consider a train if that would be most effecient for a particular leg.
Other main question...logistics. Assuming we do a combo of New Delhi, Agra, Varanasi, and either Udaipur or Jaipur...any suggetsed "routing" or recommended number of nights? Thinking 3 nights Delhi (1 on front end and 2 on back end or vice versa), 2 nights Agra, 3 nights Varanasi, ??
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide in gathering our thoughts/plans.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 "necessities" for India
- 2 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?
- 3 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 4 Changing planes at Dubai
- 5 50th Anniversary trip
- 6 ATMs in Japan
- 7 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 8 Short trip to Myanmar
- 9 Four Best Sakura Sightseeing Places in Tokyo
- 10 First time backpacking - 5 weeks in Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, and Thailand
- 11 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 12 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 13 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 14 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 15 Mandalay questions
- 16 Guides ,Bagan and Mandalay
- 17 Asia Transpacific vs Pacific Delight Private Tour to China
- 18 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 19 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 20 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 21 Help - India take 2
- 22 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 23 CNX late arrival?
- 24 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 25 best singapore hotel