For those of you who are familiar with the road conditions from Colombo to Jaffna, please help.
Towards the tail end of our trip to Sri Lanka in Feb 2013, we are planning a trip to Jaffna for 3 days. Up trip will be by the coastal route (Negombo – Chilaw – Puttalam – Tirukketiswaram – Pooneryn – Jaffna) and down trip by the inland route (Jaffna – Kilinochchi – Vavuniya – Anuradhapura – Puttalam – Chilaw – Negombo); or at least that's the plan.
The Sri Lankan Consulate here (in Canberra) indicates that certain areas in Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu are not accessible due to de-mining activities, also that a permit from the SL Ministry of Defence may be required.
Q: Are we better off taking the coastal routes both ways to avoid the mined areas? Also, if we avoid the two areas mentioned in the consulate website, do we still need a permit (as we have heard conflicting experiences from some who say that the road block guards still demand paperwork and permits)?
Any information from anyone on the ground there would assist us greatly in our planning.
Thanks very much.
Road Trip to Jaffna (tips wanted)
- 1 1st Time to Japan - 14 Day Itinerary for May - Your Feedback Appreciated!!
- 2 India in November
- 3 Off on a Bangkok holiday once again!
- 4 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 5 Taking cash to Burma/Myanmar
- 6 Southern India
- 7 ...or maybe India?
- 8 Vietnam Itineray Please Help
- 9 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 10 Magical India
- 11 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 12 Looking for help to plan trip to Vietnam
- 13 Planning a trip to SE Asia- limited time!
- 14 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain
- 15 ANA Dreamliner
- 16 My Best of Philippines Photo Album (500+ Pics)
- 17 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 18 Safety in Malaysia
- 19 Anyone in Bangkok
- 20 Just returned from an amazing trip to India!
- 21 Vietnam, From Top to Bottom in January 2014
- 22 Exploring an abandoned village in Kazakhstan
- 23 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 24 Buy India Sim card there or here?
- 25 Travel Oracles: Please Comment on My 6-week Asia Itinerary