For those of you who are familiar with the road conditions from Colombo to Jaffna, please help.
Towards the tail end of our trip to Sri Lanka in Feb 2013, we are planning a trip to Jaffna for 3 days. Up trip will be by the coastal route (Negombo – Chilaw – Puttalam – Tirukketiswaram – Pooneryn – Jaffna) and down trip by the inland route (Jaffna – Kilinochchi – Vavuniya – Anuradhapura – Puttalam – Chilaw – Negombo); or at least that's the plan.
The Sri Lankan Consulate here (in Canberra) indicates that certain areas in Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu are not accessible due to de-mining activities, also that a permit from the SL Ministry of Defence may be required.
Q: Are we better off taking the coastal routes both ways to avoid the mined areas? Also, if we avoid the two areas mentioned in the consulate website, do we still need a permit (as we have heard conflicting experiences from some who say that the road block guards still demand paperwork and permits)?
Any information from anyone on the ground there would assist us greatly in our planning.
Thanks very much.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Need some planning information for Sri lanka trip
- 2 Sri Lanka itinerary questions and beach resort whale watching
- 3 Kunming, Yunnan, China
- 4 What beach to choose?!?!
- 5 Borobudur and Yogyakarta - How long?
- 6 Good Honeymoon Location in August 2015 on a budget
- 7 Business class on JAL
- 8 Private guides & drivers in China
- 9 Dogster: The Great Stumble Forward - India
- 10 My Daughter's 13th Birthday Trip to Tokyo!
- 11 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?
- 12 Transit between International flight and domestic at Narita airport
- 13 Need a place to stay in Chang Mai
- 14 Thailand, Myanmar and Cambodia in June
- 15 Traffic in Hanoi
- 16 Beaches a few hours from Bangkok
- 17 Japan Travel - Alone?
- 18 3 day in Hanoi, what’s worth to do?
- 19 traveling from nara to miajima and himeji - help
- 20 Mumbai and tiger trek
- 21 4 hour Hong Kong layover
- 22 India group or private tour?
- 23 Myanmar Photo Trip. Lot's O' Photos!
- 24 GTG Boston-Cambridge (US) July 12
- 25 HA lounge at HND