For those of you who are familiar with the road conditions from Colombo to Jaffna, please help.
Towards the tail end of our trip to Sri Lanka in Feb 2013, we are planning a trip to Jaffna for 3 days. Up trip will be by the coastal route (Negombo – Chilaw – Puttalam – Tirukketiswaram – Pooneryn – Jaffna) and down trip by the inland route (Jaffna – Kilinochchi – Vavuniya – Anuradhapura – Puttalam – Chilaw – Negombo); or at least that's the plan.
The Sri Lankan Consulate here (in Canberra) indicates that certain areas in Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu are not accessible due to de-mining activities, also that a permit from the SL Ministry of Defence may be required.
Q: Are we better off taking the coastal routes both ways to avoid the mined areas? Also, if we avoid the two areas mentioned in the consulate website, do we still need a permit (as we have heard conflicting experiences from some who say that the road block guards still demand paperwork and permits)?
Any information from anyone on the ground there would assist us greatly in our planning.
Thanks very much.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 +91-9694102888 simple spells to bring back a lover
- 2 Faqs About Sex Drive And Penis Enlargement
- 3 Idiotic time zone question
- 4 Ending another Asia trip in seattle
- 5 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 6 Sometahing is wrong
- 7 Twin rooms in Japan
- 8 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 9 sri lanka- tips required
- 10 base bangkok or manilla
- 11 Christmas in the Alps
- 12 Change my Itinerary?
- 13 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 14 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 15 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 16 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 17 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 18 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 19 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 20 Impressions of India
- 21 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 22 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 23 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 24 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
- 25 Go ahead...Eat the street food and buffets!