For those of you who are familiar with the road conditions from Colombo to Jaffna, please help.
Towards the tail end of our trip to Sri Lanka in Feb 2013, we are planning a trip to Jaffna for 3 days. Up trip will be by the coastal route (Negombo – Chilaw – Puttalam – Tirukketiswaram – Pooneryn – Jaffna) and down trip by the inland route (Jaffna – Kilinochchi – Vavuniya – Anuradhapura – Puttalam – Chilaw – Negombo); or at least that's the plan.
The Sri Lankan Consulate here (in Canberra) indicates that certain areas in Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu are not accessible due to de-mining activities, also that a permit from the SL Ministry of Defence may be required.
Q: Are we better off taking the coastal routes both ways to avoid the mined areas? Also, if we avoid the two areas mentioned in the consulate website, do we still need a permit (as we have heard conflicting experiences from some who say that the road block guards still demand paperwork and permits)?
Any information from anyone on the ground there would assist us greatly in our planning.
Thanks very much.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Second Time to Japan - Sakura, Gardens and Castles
- 2 Where to stay in Koyasan?
- 3 Your "must try" Japanese food experiences.
- 4 Hakone Ryokan - Gora Kansuiro
- 5 Myanmar Photo Trip. Lot's O' Photos!
- 6 Seeking suggestions for our Nepal time in November. Do we need masks?
- 7 Which Cities in India if Only Have 8 days on Land?
- 8 Suggestions for plan B?: a week in Thailand in early November
- 9 Japan Itinerary Help
- 10 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 11 Money (and cards) in Myanmar
- 12 Low Humidity August and safe for solo travel?
- 13 Itinerary... and lots of trains. Advice Please
- 14 Trip report: Thailand and Laos - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Luang Prabang
- 15 Great Wall hike
- 16 I will be in Ubud for 9 days?
- 17 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 18 Vietnam - September 2015
- 19 should i stay in Bali longer for the july 15 holiday ?
- 20 Hotel in Tokyo
- 21 Japan family trip in late Dec
- 22 Hanoi, Vietnam - The last days in April, 2015
- 23 Thailand and Myanmar-Hot Hot Hot!
- 24 Myanmar Help
- 25 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?