so after my initial very vague (and to most people also confusing) plan, I've gone back to the drawing board and come up up with a new itinerary for my 14-day trip in July.
I'm starting and finishing in Fukuoka as I'm visiting friends there and the flights are booked, so that is the only part of the trip that isn't flexible.
Day 1 - Fukuoka to Hiroshima/Miyajima
Day 2 - Miyajima to Kyoto
Day 3 - Kyoto
Day 4 - Kyoto
Day 5 - Kyoto (day trip to Nara)
Day 6 - Kyoto to Nagoya
Day 7 - Nagoya to Matsumoto
Day 8 - Matsumoto to Takayama
Day 9 - Takayama to Tokyo
Day 10 - Tokyo
Day 11 - Tokyo (day trip to Nikko)
Day 12 - Tokyo
Day 13 - Tokyo (day trip to Hakone)
Day 14 - Tokyo to Fukuoka
I have taken Koya-san off the itinerary as I've spoken to two of my friends, who both said that whereas they enjoyed it, it wasn't as special as they had hoped (they both admitted that it might have had something to do with the fact that it was January and -10C and quite bleak up in the mountains). So I decided to leave Koya-san for another time and I have added Nagoya, Matsumoto and Takayama instead, which also means dropping Nikko or reducing it to a day trip from Tokyo.
I have thought about going Takayama to Odawara (rather than straight to Tokyo) and doing the Hakone visit with an overnight stay and then traveling on to Tokyo on Day 11, but that seems a lot of travelling for days 6-11 with one night stop overs?! Or should I drop the night in Nagoya and go straight to Matsumoto from Kyoto?
Any thoughts, tips, feedback and ideas would be very welcome! I hope this is less confusing!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 2 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 3 November, March, June... Japan?
- 4 Itinerary Help Japan
- 5 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 6 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 7 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 8 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 9 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 10 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 11 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 12 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 13 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 14 Silk Road Tour - China
- 15 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 16 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 17 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 18 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 19 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 20 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 21 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 22 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 23 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 24 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 25 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set