We are going to Japan for 10 days at the end of August and I want to splurge and spend one night at a fancy Ryokan. The main criteria I'm after are: 1) private open-air onsen 2) great food 3) great view...should be easy, right?
From the research I've done initially, the Hakkone area is going to probably have the nicest views. We have Xed out Gora Kadan because it looks too commercialized.
As such, we were thinking about Hakone-Ginyu , but some of the trip advisor reviews are mixed. My general worry about this area is it will feel really touristy.
I can't find any reviews of Senjyuan (www.senjyuan.jp) nor have I heard much positive about the location, but the inn looks lovely.
Would greatly appreciate any recommendations others have. My sister swears by the Fodor's forums so I thought I'd give it a go.
Thanks to everyone in advance
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 ATM DUMPS PIN TRACK 1/2 CC CVV TRANSFER WESTERN UNION
- 2 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 3 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 4 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 5 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 6 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 7 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 8 5 weeks in Japan
- 9 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 10 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 11 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 12 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 13 Lodge in Borneo
- 14 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 15 China and Japan help
- 16 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 17 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 18 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 19 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 20 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 21 Requesting Passport Number
- 22 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 23 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 24 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 25 Phu Quoc