We are going to Japan for 10 days at the end of August and I want to splurge and spend one night at a fancy Ryokan. The main criteria I'm after are: 1) private open-air onsen 2) great food 3) great view...should be easy, right?
From the research I've done initially, the Hakkone area is going to probably have the nicest views. We have Xed out Gora Kadan because it looks too commercialized.
As such, we were thinking about Hakone-Ginyu , but some of the trip advisor reviews are mixed. My general worry about this area is it will feel really touristy.
I can't find any reviews of Senjyuan (www.senjyuan.jp) nor have I heard much positive about the location, but the inn looks lovely.
Would greatly appreciate any recommendations others have. My sister swears by the Fodor's forums so I thought I'd give it a go.
Thanks to everyone in advance
Recommended Luxury Ryokans in Japan
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 tips and ideas for 10 days in Sri Lanka, train travel, beach options
- 2 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 3 Tokyo to Takayama or Kanazawa
- 4 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 5 Vietnam - Questions
- 6 A redhead in Vietnam and Cambodia
- 7 Bangkok Jewelry shoping
- 8 Thailand during the rainy season, have you been?
- 9 Osaka shopping
- 10 View from the plane arriving in Singapore then Bali from U.S.
- 11 Takayama ideas in April?
- 12 Bali Honeymoon. Got 3/4 places decided on, struggling on the last...HELP!
- 13 SW China or Myanmar for 2 weeks+ in NOV???
- 14 Sri Lanka February 15'
- 15 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 16 Tokyo and Thailand in July
- 17 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 18 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 19 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 20 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 21 How to access to Kanazawa New Shinkansen Service March
- 22 First time visiting Japan. Please help
- 23 Luggage Transfer From Hotels
- 24 Penang
- 25 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia