With the uncertainty in Bangkok and the start of our trip less than 3-weeks away, I thought I'd develop a "Plan B" just in case the situation has become too unsettled to stay. We are still planning on our visit; however, things are changing daily, so I would like to have some options. I have a few thoughts but I'd also love some suggestions here. We arrive in Bangkok on Sunday afternoon, Jan. 19, and fly to Chiang Mai late afternoon on Thurs, Jan. 23 from Bangkok.
1) Beach stay -- Krabi/vicinity (or other recommended beach?)
I like the idea generally, but don't want to break the bank at an expensive resort or purchase airline tickets that I'm hoping I won't have to use. Some of the recommended places are already booked up. I also don't want to hop on yet another plane after traveling umpteen hours from NYC. I do like the idea of something that is very different from the rest of the trip (Chiang Mai, Chaing Rai, Luang Prabang, Siem Reap), but don't want to make a financial commitment that will cost a lot that I won't end up using.
2) Ayuthaya/vicinity - a trip (train?) outside of Bangkok, visiting Ayuthaya and then on to another site in the region. While we are ending in Siem Reap, I think we'd enjoy seeing both sites, as hubby is especially interested in history & architecture. This isn't currently in my itinerary. However, this isn't enough for 3 days so need some other ideas.
3) Any other thoughts? I really am hoping that this isn't going to be needed as I'm very much looking forward to visiting Bangkok for the first time. However, I do think a backup plan is good to have "just in case".
Thanks much for feedback and suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://getmenshealth.com/hl-slim-pro/
- 2 Difference in staying at Dambulla or Habarana
- 3 Bali in Feb. for nature & unique cultural perspectives
- 4 Update on cash situation in India for imminent visitors
- 5 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 6 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 7 Advice on Hainan Island?
- 8 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 9 Where to go for 3 days in SEA after business meeting in Singapore?
- 10 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 11 Indonesia travel agent
- 12 Trip Report: First time in Thailand and Cambodia
- 13 A beach of choice on Samui
- 14 Krabi--Ko Tao--Ko Samui
- 15 Bangkok Taxis
- 16 3 weeks - first time SEA
- 17 Where to buy reading glasses and get a massage in Bangkok?
- 18 Heads up for US people trying to pay for Myanmar by cc from the US
- 19 A month in central Asia
- 20 Central Asia Four Week Itinerary
- 21 Something about... Malaysia
- 22 Day trip from Kuala Lumpur
- 23 Two Round Trip Tickets?
- 24 Osaka, aquarium?
- 25 favorite activities in krabi area