We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 2 Bangkok - Pavement [sidewalk] obstructions
- 3 Tokyo daytrip
- 4 Upcoming friendly planet trip best of India and nepql
- 5 Review My 23 Day Japan Itinerary
- 6 Looking for Ryokan in Hakone
- 7 Vietnam 15 day visa exemption - transfer included?
- 8 Thailand and Vietnam - February 2017
- 9 Confusion with LTE data with a Verizon iPhone 6 Plus
- 10 Please Critique My Itinerary
- 11 Does it make sense to stay at 2 Tokyo hotels?
- 12 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 13 First time in Japan - itinerary feedback
- 14 Japan GTG, early April
- 15 Need help with Sri Lanka itinerary and hotels
- 16 Bali - What to do?
- 17 Recommendation for Season 3 of Chef's Table
- 18 Impressions of India
- 19 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 20 Need ideas for 9 nights end of Feb. in Malaysia or Indonesia
- 21 Kuala Lumpur Advice - Tour Recommendation
- 22 Taiwan confusion..
- 23 Elephant Hills or Elephant Haven in Thailand?
- 24 Namaste India - Shopping/Money
- 25 Help with itinerary for 11 days