We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 매매잔금대출 아파트매매대출승계 oninve.com
- 2 http://fitnesseducations.com/xtend-xr/
- 3 Overland Travel Chiang Mai to Manipur
- 4 Any suggestions for travel agents for Taiwan?
- 5 Japan Help-Ryokan or no?
- 6 South Korea for Chuseok
- 7 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 8 2 nights Phuket - What beach to stay on?
- 9 Bhutan... Have You Been
- 10 Getting Yourself Around Beijing
- 11 Bhutan travel operator and number of days
- 12 Tokyo hotel help
- 13 Bali - What to do?
- 14 India (north-east) + Maldives ititneraty help
- 15 AirAsia ASEAN pass?
- 16 help with s.e.a. trip destination for xmas, family of 4
- 17 travel to Malaysia or Indonesia
- 18 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 19 Bangkok transport to Shangri La Hotel
- 20 Private tours in Northern India
- 21 To the Gili Islands - From Ubud or South Bali?
- 22 The ethics of choosing to visit a repressive country like Myanmar
- 23 Purchasing Kamagawa Odori tickets?
- 24 Indonesia (other than Bali!)
- 25 Fethiye to Bodrum