We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia -feedback on draft itinerary please!
- 2 Month long SE Asia trip
- 3 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 4 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 5 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 6 Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata
- 7 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 8 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 9 Cambodia weather
- 10 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 11 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 12 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 13 Sad News: The Thai King has died
- 14 Vietnam Itinerary Input, The country is so LONG!
- 15 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 16 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 17 Is 1 hr 10 min layover in Narita enough?
- 18 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 19 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 20 I Finally Wrote A Trip Report
- 21 Visa Question - Cambodia
- 22 first draft for Vietnam trip. Critique please
- 23 Amakusa island help
- 24 Japan 10 days Hiroshima or Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
- 25 Rishikesh, India