We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Buy Ielts certificates, Buy Passport, Buy Visa, Buy Driving Licence
- 2 Feedback on Kyushu itinerary
- 3 A short trip report of Vietnam, Dec 2016
- 4 cross from Ketapang in Java to Gilimanuk in Bali
- 5 Japan Itinerary!
- 6 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 7 Magical India
- 8 India itinerary critique please
- 9 Best location for snorkelling/ beach/ quiet resort/ great Thai food
- 10 Need for promethium sprayed mosquito nets for SEAsia travel
- 11 Vientiane and ??
- 12 JFK to BKK sale on Qatar
- 13 Possible itinerary - 4 days in Georgia
- 14 16 days in Japan--how to divide time?
- 15 Wild China vs Travel Guide China (or the like)
- 16 Himachal Pradesh
- 17 Luggage size China ?
- 18 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 19 Thai Elephants
- 20 Cancelling trip to Burma; seeking advice for outskirts of Bangkok
- 21 Is it safe to travel Hong Kong in Oct?
- 22 Myanmar in Five days - Advice please!
- 23 Sri Lanka in August
- 24 Self-drive in Thailand?
- 25 Japan/Korea/HK