We took a week's getaway in Georgetown Penang to see how things had changed since the World Heritage Site declaration. Our first visit was in 1974, we've been through Malaysia and Asia often for business and travel, but never back to Georgetown until last month (Feb 2014).
We always promised ourselves we'd stay at the Eastern & Oriental, and so we did. Good hotel, everything you'd expect. Lovely suite overlooking the Strait of Malacca.
However, the best thing about Penang and Georgetown (besides the food...I can tell lots more about food) is the bus system.
I thought Singapore's transport system was the best in Asia, and it is. But Rapid Penang is great for an island of its size. We bought a Rapid Penang 7-day Passport for RM30 that took us everywhere, everyday.
Plus there is a local free bus around Georgetown if you are really skimpy about paying (be warned, choose your bus stops, as overloaded free buses sail right past).
We boarded our Malaysia Airlines flight from Penang via KL back to Australia the night before the one went AWOL. Now they think they've found it south-west of Perth?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Pocket Wi-Fi Speeds (187.5 Mbps v. 75 Mbps)?
- 2 Japan rough itinerary
- 3 Last Minute Bali Honeymoon
- 4 Laos planning.
- 5 Impressions of India
- 6 14 days Japan itinerary. First timers.
- 7 Bye bye SE Asia
- 8 Japan - costs
- 9 Japan for Foodies
- 10 Planning Honeymoon to Thailand
- 11 3 week SE Asia itinerary
- 12 Can buy a JR Pass in Japan
- 13 Japan Rail Pass
- 14 First Time to Japan..Itin Advice Needed
- 15 south east asia 3 weeks in june
- 16 Japan Cherry Blossom 2018
- 17 Sri Lanka May
- 18 20 days Itinerary Help!
- 19 Japan - 2 itineraries (7days)
- 20 Hokkaido and northern Honshu itinerary advice
- 21 Japan's Kyushu: Takachiho Gorge - Travel Report
- 22 Kamogawa Odori/Aoi Matsuri
- 23 One night in Osaka
- 24 David's Abbreviated Trip Report-Japan, Part 2-Sakura 2017
- 25 Taipei Art Scene - Travel Report