I will be traveling to Tokyo from September to December. I will mostly be on campus, commuting via train and urban walks, and coming home to a home-stay family. I did a trial pack last night and could not fit everything in my bag! By a long shot!
Can I have your advice?
1. Average temperatures will range from 80F with high humidity and rain to a cold 40F (though snow flurries are unlikely).
2. Japanese students DRESS UP. Plus, I'm a grad student so things are more professionalized than a tourist experience. On the other end, I'm unsure what kind of "house clothes" I can wear at a home-stay.
3. Since I'm at a homestay and Japanese people do not use resources with the same abandon as Americans, I am doubtful I can wash my clothes too frequently. I'm self conscious about being judged as a sloppy, dirty foreigner haha. Foreigners already stand out a LOT and are judged a LOT (even if with a smile).
tl;dr: I am struggling on how to pack lightly for a broad range of weather conditions and formality levels over a semi-long period. In this circumstance, I will need to look clean and more put together than your average tourist but I might not have easy access to a washing machine.
I was reading this long thread but it is for such a short trip compared to mine:
Packing lightly...for a 3 month trip...in Winter?!
- 1 Robinson store/Bangrak, Bangkok - has it reopened?
- 2 Trip report China
- 3 Looking for affordable travel companies in India!!!!
- 4 Wait time for Vietnam visa on arrival
- 5 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 6 Bali -- Visa on Arrival
- 7 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 8 Magical India
- 9 Sketches from Japan - Autumn 2013
- 10 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 11 Burma, Myanmar Visa On Arrival (VOA) Is Available And Is As Easy As ...
- 12 Traveling on Makha Bucha in Thailand
- 13 Xian Crystal Mooncake
- 14 Shopping for hotels for Feb.
- 15 Fresh Hearts and Egg Tarts: Our Silver Jubilee in Hong Kong & Macau
- 16 Seoul, Korea Accommodation / Restaurants
- 17 Car Parking at Uno Port
- 18 Myanmar and Mt Popa
- 19 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 20 Next trip: Sri Lanka & Maldives. Need help from the travel gods.
- 21 Thai Visa Options for longer/ multiple stays
- 22 Visiting the Huangshan Area Without Climbing the Mountain
- 23 Planning 1st trip to japan. Ideas?
- 24 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 25 clean,reasonable priced lodging in Orchha, Bodghaya, Khajuraho, Varanasi