I will be traveling to Tokyo from September to December. I will mostly be on campus, commuting via train and urban walks, and coming home to a home-stay family. I did a trial pack last night and could not fit everything in my bag! By a long shot!
Can I have your advice?
1. Average temperatures will range from 80F with high humidity and rain to a cold 40F (though snow flurries are unlikely).
2. Japanese students DRESS UP. Plus, I'm a grad student so things are more professionalized than a tourist experience. On the other end, I'm unsure what kind of "house clothes" I can wear at a home-stay.
3. Since I'm at a homestay and Japanese people do not use resources with the same abandon as Americans, I am doubtful I can wash my clothes too frequently. I'm self conscious about being judged as a sloppy, dirty foreigner haha. Foreigners already stand out a LOT and are judged a LOT (even if with a smile).
tl;dr: I am struggling on how to pack lightly for a broad range of weather conditions and formality levels over a semi-long period. In this circumstance, I will need to look clean and more put together than your average tourist but I might not have easy access to a washing machine.
I was reading this long thread but it is for such a short trip compared to mine:
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 2 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 3 Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
- 4 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 5 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 6 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 7 Family Trip to Japan
- 8 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 9 5 weeks in Japan
- 10 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 11 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 12 3 weeks backpacking in Vietnam
- 13 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 14 New Member
- 15 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 16 Eating in Chiang Mai and Pai, Thailand
- 17 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 18 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 19 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 20 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 21 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 22 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 23 Lodge in Borneo
- 24 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 25 China and Japan help