I will be traveling to Tokyo from September to December. I will mostly be on campus, commuting via train and urban walks, and coming home to a home-stay family. I did a trial pack last night and could not fit everything in my bag! By a long shot!
Can I have your advice?
1. Average temperatures will range from 80F with high humidity and rain to a cold 40F (though snow flurries are unlikely).
2. Japanese students DRESS UP. Plus, I'm a grad student so things are more professionalized than a tourist experience. On the other end, I'm unsure what kind of "house clothes" I can wear at a home-stay.
3. Since I'm at a homestay and Japanese people do not use resources with the same abandon as Americans, I am doubtful I can wash my clothes too frequently. I'm self conscious about being judged as a sloppy, dirty foreigner haha. Foreigners already stand out a LOT and are judged a LOT (even if with a smile).
tl;dr: I am struggling on how to pack lightly for a broad range of weather conditions and formality levels over a semi-long period. In this circumstance, I will need to look clean and more put together than your average tourist but I might not have easy access to a washing machine.
I was reading this long thread but it is for such a short trip compared to mine:
Packing lightly...for a 3 month trip...in Winter?!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 possible trip for family of 4 to Japan over New Years. Is it worth trying?
- 2 Wedding anniversary in Bali
- 3 Mekong River Cruises
- 4 swim after Christmas at Hoi An vietnam?
- 5 16 days in Vietnam
- 6 Nancy Chandler maps
- 7 Silver shops on New Road behind the Oriental Hotel. Bangkok
- 8 2-3 days to spend near Shanghai: Hangzhou or Monganshan?
- 9 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 10 Medical/supplemental insurance for India
- 11 15 days in Japan in March/April
- 12 Jet Lagged in Mumbai
- 13 2 Weeks in Thailand - Looking for suggestions
- 14 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?
- 15 Free Sumo ticket in Fukuoka November 21
- 16 Do we need to reserve trains far in advance or just rock up to Station?
- 17 Help re. Visa.
- 18 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 19 Phuket Reniassaince/The Shore in November-swimmable beach?
- 20 getting from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi
- 21 Hong Kong, Thailand Skin products
- 22 Loy Krathong - do you need tickets?
- 23 Ranthambore - where to stay?
- 24 Advice on Tipping in Bali
- 25 flight from Mandalay to Luang Prabang