I will be traveling to Tokyo from September to December. I will mostly be on campus, commuting via train and urban walks, and coming home to a home-stay family. I did a trial pack last night and could not fit everything in my bag! By a long shot!
Can I have your advice?
1. Average temperatures will range from 80F with high humidity and rain to a cold 40F (though snow flurries are unlikely).
2. Japanese students DRESS UP. Plus, I'm a grad student so things are more professionalized than a tourist experience. On the other end, I'm unsure what kind of "house clothes" I can wear at a home-stay.
3. Since I'm at a homestay and Japanese people do not use resources with the same abandon as Americans, I am doubtful I can wash my clothes too frequently. I'm self conscious about being judged as a sloppy, dirty foreigner haha. Foreigners already stand out a LOT and are judged a LOT (even if with a smile).
tl;dr: I am struggling on how to pack lightly for a broad range of weather conditions and formality levels over a semi-long period. In this circumstance, I will need to look clean and more put together than your average tourist but I might not have easy access to a washing machine.
I was reading this long thread but it is for such a short trip compared to mine:
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Public Transportation in HCMC, Vietnam
- 2 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 3 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 4 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 5 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 6 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 7 An island paradise?
- 8 1946-2007: An Old Soldier Returns to Camp Site in Beppu
- 9 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 10 Need some help with my final itinerary
- 11 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 12 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 13 Yet again! This time in Dharamsala
- 14 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 15 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 16 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 17 Rental Car Bali
- 18 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 19 Kintamani Tour
- 20 Some notes about South Korea
- 21 Bucket List Trip: Bali, Angkor Wat,Japan
- 22 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 23 Totally unprepared
- 24 Sulawesi
- 25 Another first-timer. Does this work?