I will be traveling to Tokyo from September to December. I will mostly be on campus, commuting via train and urban walks, and coming home to a home-stay family. I did a trial pack last night and could not fit everything in my bag! By a long shot!
Can I have your advice?
1. Average temperatures will range from 80F with high humidity and rain to a cold 40F (though snow flurries are unlikely).
2. Japanese students DRESS UP. Plus, I'm a grad student so things are more professionalized than a tourist experience. On the other end, I'm unsure what kind of "house clothes" I can wear at a home-stay.
3. Since I'm at a homestay and Japanese people do not use resources with the same abandon as Americans, I am doubtful I can wash my clothes too frequently. I'm self conscious about being judged as a sloppy, dirty foreigner haha. Foreigners already stand out a LOT and are judged a LOT (even if with a smile).
tl;dr: I am struggling on how to pack lightly for a broad range of weather conditions and formality levels over a semi-long period. In this circumstance, I will need to look clean and more put together than your average tourist but I might not have easy access to a washing machine.
I was reading this long thread but it is for such a short trip compared to mine:
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://healthproductselection.com/testo-max-hd/
- 2 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 3 Child car seat protector
- 4 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 5 One week in Taiwan (is not enough!)
- 6 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 7 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 8 Myanmar tour companies
- 9 Tour company for China and Southeast Asia
- 10 Touristy Thailand
- 11 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 12 Help with 2 week Thailand itinerary
- 13 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 14 A Victory Day Tour
- 15 3 weeks in Japan
- 16 16 hour layover in Indonesia; what to do?
- 17 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 18 Kinosake Onsen Ryokan
- 19 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 20 One Visa for multiple countries?
- 21 Procuring Letter of Invitation from Kazakhastan for Visa
- 22 Memories: Astana, Expo 2017
- 23 A first time for everything in Japan
- 24 EF tours fired incompetent tour guide
- 25 Outlet Adapter Plugs For Sri Lanka And India