My partner and I have scheduled our second visit to beautiful Japan. We fly in and out of Tokyo during late January early February.
Our previous visit was 5 weeks long- we visited Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima.
This time the main purpose of our 2.5 week visit is to see Tokyo again (we LOVED it) and we are visiting in the second last week of January so we can attend the Sumo tournament. I would like to dedicate 6 nights to Tokyo alone- with perhaps a side trip or 2.
This leaves us with 11 nights to explore a few the places we missed last time.. Also a big focus for us is food- we love traveling to places 'famous' for this dish and that dish.
My initial research has turned up a few places of interest: Nagoya, Okayama and Fukuoka. Also perhaps a one night 'experience' stay in both Miyajima and Koya-San?
Obviously I am trying to expand our travel to places we haven't seen but I am not sure if its easier to base ourselves in major cities such as Osaka and Hiroshima again and utilise day trips to see new places? Or better to travel around for 1 and 2 night stints going as far south as Fukuoka?
Does anyone have any must see's that I haven't listed? Any thoughts on the places I have listed and how long I might have to dedicate to them? Are any of these places a bad idea in January?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 2 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 3 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 4 Japan GTG, early April
- 5 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 6 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 7 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 8 Takayama trail, Japan
- 9 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 10 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 11 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 12 Beijing tours
- 13 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 14 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 15 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 16 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 17 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please
- 18 Visa for India
- 19 Best place to buy real cheap designer bags ?
- 20 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 21 Hútòng Walking
- 22 Asia Forum Fans: Craig and Jeane Visit Ecuador and the Galapagos
- 23 Singapore SAEX bus service question
- 24 21 Hours in Hong Kong
- 25 best options for cell phone in Vietnam and Thailand