My partner and I have scheduled our second visit to beautiful Japan. We fly in and out of Tokyo during late January early February.
Our previous visit was 5 weeks long- we visited Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima.
This time the main purpose of our 2.5 week visit is to see Tokyo again (we LOVED it) and we are visiting in the second last week of January so we can attend the Sumo tournament. I would like to dedicate 6 nights to Tokyo alone- with perhaps a side trip or 2.
This leaves us with 11 nights to explore a few the places we missed last time.. Also a big focus for us is food- we love traveling to places 'famous' for this dish and that dish.
My initial research has turned up a few places of interest: Nagoya, Okayama and Fukuoka. Also perhaps a one night 'experience' stay in both Miyajima and Koya-San?
Obviously I am trying to expand our travel to places we haven't seen but I am not sure if its easier to base ourselves in major cities such as Osaka and Hiroshima again and utilise day trips to see new places? Or better to travel around for 1 and 2 night stints going as far south as Fukuoka?
Does anyone have any must see's that I haven't listed? Any thoughts on the places I have listed and how long I might have to dedicate to them? Are any of these places a bad idea in January?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 3 Week Trip to Southeast Asia
- 2 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 3 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 4 CNX late arrival?
- 5 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 6 Chiang Mai hotel with sweet attentive staff
- 7 Gang rape in India. Again.
- 8 50th Anniversary trip
- 9 best singapore hotel
- 10 Help - India take 2
- 11 3 weeks: solo travel to Thailand (with stop in Hong Kong and Tokyo)?
- 12 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 13 is this a good travel plan?
- 14 currency conversion
- 15 US Citizen Vietnam Visa Help!
- 16 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 17 Vietnam - Sa Pa
- 18 The truth about elephant tourism
- 19 Help w/Andaman Sea Itinerary
- 20 Do I need the rabies jab for bali?
- 21 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 22 Article on assistance for US citizens with difficulties abroad
- 23 Advice for treks/Peak climbing in ladakh end of June
- 24 6 nights / 5 days Japan itinerary
- 25 Phenom Penh