My partner and I have scheduled our second visit to beautiful Japan. We fly in and out of Tokyo during late January early February.
Our previous visit was 5 weeks long- we visited Tokyo, Hakone, Takayama, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Osaka and Hiroshima.
This time the main purpose of our 2.5 week visit is to see Tokyo again (we LOVED it) and we are visiting in the second last week of January so we can attend the Sumo tournament. I would like to dedicate 6 nights to Tokyo alone- with perhaps a side trip or 2.
This leaves us with 11 nights to explore a few the places we missed last time.. Also a big focus for us is food- we love traveling to places 'famous' for this dish and that dish.
My initial research has turned up a few places of interest: Nagoya, Okayama and Fukuoka. Also perhaps a one night 'experience' stay in both Miyajima and Koya-San?
Obviously I am trying to expand our travel to places we haven't seen but I am not sure if its easier to base ourselves in major cities such as Osaka and Hiroshima again and utilise day trips to see new places? Or better to travel around for 1 and 2 night stints going as far south as Fukuoka?
Does anyone have any must see's that I haven't listed? Any thoughts on the places I have listed and how long I might have to dedicate to them? Are any of these places a bad idea in January?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 2 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 3 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 4 November, March, June... Japan?
- 5 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 6 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 7 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 8 Silk Road Tour - China
- 9 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 10 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 11 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 12 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 13 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 14 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 15 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 16 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 17 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 18 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 19 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 20 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 21 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
- 22 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
- 23 Renting 4G Wi-Fi Device in Korea
- 24 Kuala Lumpur itinerary
- 25 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?