Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 2 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 3 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 4 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 5 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 6 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 7 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 8 Totally unprepared
- 9 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 10 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 11 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 12 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 13 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 14 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 15 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 16 An island paradise?
- 17 1946-2007: An Old Soldier Returns to Camp Site in Beppu
- 18 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 19 Need some help with my final itinerary
- 20 Yet again! This time in Dharamsala
- 21 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 22 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 23 Rental Car Bali
- 24 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 25 Kintamani Tour
Hi . . .