Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Older style accommodation sought in Phnom Penh
Hi . . .
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 The City, the River, the Jungle: Our Holiday in Kuching - Borneo
- 2 Where to stay for 2-3 nights between Tsumago and Hakone April 2015
- 3 Does anybody know the Aphrodite cruise? (Halong Bay)
- 4 Sumatra for 2 weeks in December
- 5 Final Itinerary Kyoto area through Kamakura (skipping Tokyo this trip)
- 6 A hero in Myanmar: A man who does his job
- 7 Itinerary for Second Visit to Japan
- 8 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 9 Japan Itinerary Help Please! 4.5-4.17
- 10 Thailand mid-December
- 11 "Naga New Year Festival 2015"
- 12 Indian visa
- 13 How would you do Hiroshima & Miyajima if can only stay 1 night in Miyajima?
- 14 Can you HELP with figuring out United Miles and how to get them SF-Bangkok?
- 15 First trip to Japan-17 night Itinerary in Cherry Blossom season
- 16 US citizens applying for India visa--take care which website you use
- 17 One week in Thailand
- 18 Is Asiana Airlines safe?
- 19 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 20 Kyoto: hotel choices, guides,day trip to Nara
- 21 Which is better with kids, Dubai or Singapore ?
- 22 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 23 Assistance planning remaining 5 days in South Thailand
- 24 First trip to China ! Need help with itinerary
- 25 Mangalore, India as cruise stop…seems underwhelming