Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Tips in Myanmar
- 2 Seeking Help With My Sri Lanka And South India Itinerary: Rough Draft #1
- 3 myanmar
- 4 Feedback on rough one month SE Asia trip
- 5 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 6 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 7 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 8 Help w/ 20 Days in South India & Sri Lanka
- 9 ?driver/guide recommendation in Chiang Rai/Chiang Mai
- 10 Where to stay in Tokyo
- 11 Being customs
- 12 Road Scholar tour in China
- 13 Itinerary help - 10 days Japan
- 14 A beach of choice on Samui
- 15 Internship in Beijing - 4 weeks Where to stay?
- 16 Quick question about Vietnam Visa Exception during overland crossing
- 17 Travel India solo
- 18 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 19 3.5 Weeks in Japan (First-time) Itinerary Help
- 20 Hotel Suggestions - New Delhi
- 21 Busan Central Bus Terminal
- 22 2 months in Taiwan - relaxing & hassle-free breaks in/out of the country?
- 23 Osaka, aquarium?
- 24 Tuk-tuk, songthew or taxi?
- 25 Gilli t to Bali (Denpasar airport)
Hi . . .