Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 November trip to Myanmar and Cambodia
- 2 Yunnan to Guilin
- 3 Vietnam - 7 days from HCM
- 4 Elephants, Gibbons and Cambodian Countryside
- 5 Honeymoon - Phuket / Kho Lak - Hotel Advice?
- 6 looking for 1 week Vietnam itinerary suggestions
- 7 Hotel recommendation-Ho Chi Minh City
- 8 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 9 Pl suggest itinerary in Taipei / surrounds for 6 nights Nov 2015
- 10 where can I buy IASO?
- 11 Looking for country suggestions for 2 week itinerary for next year's trip
- 12 Chaing Mai how long and 1-day meditation retreat
- 13 Thailand For 5 weeks starting 11/5/2015
- 14 HONG KONG: 9 Must-Dine Restaurants To Suit Every Budget
- 15 Surin Beach - Rubbish Reports?
- 16 Once again, possible Nepal backup
- 17 Thai Air Suspends L.A. Flight
- 18 Help please! Trying to plan an Asia/Middle East/Russia trip!
- 19 Kyushu planning (March-April)
- 20 Yangon's growing photography scene
- 21 Bagan must see with a guide
- 22 Okinawa on Anthony Bourdain tonight
- 23 Nepal - Safe to Go Mid Oct? Earthquakes + Political Unrest
- 24 Arashiyama Excursion
- 25 Hotel reservations for Chiang Mai 11/9-11-16?
Hi . . .