Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 2 Itinerary Help Japan
- 3 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 4 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 5 November, March, June... Japan?
- 6 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 7 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 8 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 9 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 10 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 11 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 12 Silk Road Tour - China
- 13 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 14 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 15 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 16 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 17 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 18 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 19 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 20 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 21 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 22 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 23 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 24 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
- 25 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
Hi . . .