Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Older style accommodation sought in Phnom Penh
Hi . . .
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Travel & leisure reports Burma as one of most dangerous countries to visit
- 2 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 3 Ryoken recommendation pls either in Tokyo;Hiroshima;Kyoto?
- 4 Kyushu rail pass
- 5 Tipping in Japan
- 6 Currency in South Korea
- 7 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 8 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 9 Hong Kong Island Hotels - Far From Central
- 10 My SEA trip : 2 months
- 11 A question concerning Sri Lanka's rainfall in Jan.
- 12 Tucan Travel Wonders of India and Nepal Review - Travelers, Beware!
- 13 Places to visit in India in October
- 14 Flying back and forth between Vietnam and Cambodia: where to start
- 15 Cambodge / Laos / Vietnam arts
- 16 Driver in South India
- 17 Craig and Jeane Depart for Australia and Bali
- 18 British tourists murdered in Koh Tao
- 19 6 full days in Yagoon
- 20 Plans for Nepal/Bhutan continued: how does this sound??
- 21 5 day Bangkok Itinerary?
- 22 Amphawa Floating Market
- 23 Following Craig & Jeane's lead, I'm heading out. Thailand & Cambodia again.
- 24 Hotel suggestions Haeundae beach area Busan
- 25 Krabi island tours