Hi . . .
I’m looking for a particular type of hotel in Phnom Penh that I’m hoping will be familiar to someone reading these posts who in turn may point me in the right direction.
I’m writing a historical/fiction novel set in Phnom Penh in the 1970’s, am nearing the end of this undertaking and will be moving to Phnom Penh in August for 4-6 weeks to complete the final draft, and would like to stay in a hotel of the style in which my novel is set. I hope this will help keep my creative juices flowing, and give me a better perspective of my character’s environment at the time, irrespective of modern influences outside the hotel’s four walls.
When researching for travel accommodation we all mostly look to tick the same boxes, these being comfort, safety, location, amenities and price. But search as I have through trip advisor and expedia for the particular style of hotel I have in mind, I can’t seem to get past the standard renovated/boutique/modern multi level establishment with all mod cons including Wifi, flat screen TV’s and swimming pools.
I lived in Thailand for several years in the 1970’s, travelled extensively around the country and mostly stayed in what were colloquially known as ‘Chinese Hotels’. Constructed in the 1940’s or early 50’s, usually three stories high with a small restaurant on the ground floor. The rooms were generally large and sparsely furnished with basic bathrooms. Street facing rooms would usually have wrap around verandas (not private balconies), and the hotel would operate its own laundry on the flat rooftop where guests could also sit and take in the evening ‘air’.
If anyone knows of a similar ‘Chinese’ style hotel or guest house in the greater Phnom Penh area that has survived from this era I would love to hear about it. Thanks.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 My visit to Lao
- 2 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 3 My visit to Thailand
- 4 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 5 5 weeks in Japan
- 6 Gutted!
- 7 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 8 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 9 Family Trip to Japan
- 10 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 11 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 12 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 13 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 14 Question about jungles (sumatra, borneo) and forest fires
- 15 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 16 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 17 Please comment on our 19 day itinerary for March 2016
- 18 New Member
- 19 Restaurants in Chennai, Kanchipurum and Pondicherry
- 20 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 21 Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
- 22 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 23 3 weeks backpacking in Vietnam
- 24 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 25 Eating in Chiang Mai and Pai, Thailand
Hi . . .