My girl friend and I just back from a short trip to N. India. We decided to hire a travel agent, first time for us, because of the complexity of interior details. Decided on Indian Panorama browsing this site and were very satisfied.Emailed Faith where we wanted to go; Delhi, Varanasi, Agra and Jaipur, hotel details; $100-125, WIFI and breakfast, on the Ganges in Varanasi and overnight train between Delhi and Varanasi, for some local flavor but four tickets so we had our own compartment and no guide. With some tweaking she figured it out. We were met at every airport , train station and hotel with an agent and a driver and taken where ever we wanted to go. She strongly advised a guide in Varanasi and we agreed and she was right,we would have had problems making it to Arati ceremony or the early morning boat ride on our own.On a personal note the reason we don't hire guides is they are a wealth of information with no editting. I read up on where ever we are going and know what I want to see. At Taj Mahal we could sit there gazing and absorb the emensity of the building where all around were guides talking nonstop about every tiny detail . Anyway the cost for the trip, 6 night hotels, 2 overnight train( delhi- Varanasi, Varanasi -Gwalior( we wanted to check out the Fort there)) and drivers between Gwailor and Agra and Agra to Jaipur was $1500 for two .Another $100 in tips, $10 for the drivers ea. day $5 for the agents. Their service was very good, the hotels all good, best in Jaipur ,OK in Delhi. We took our own wine and snacks on the trains, ate at the hotels every night,brought our own wine for dinner (it is hard to find but they make decent wine in India) Tipping is constant, keep a supply of 20 Rupi bills, even in the British Air buisnes class lounge bathroom if you want to paper towels. Eight day trip cost us $ 2100, not counting the $ 1600 rug we bought in Jaipur ( the most expensive free cup of tea I've had since Turkey)A memorable trip, those Mogul's were amazing builders and the religious intensity in Varanasi unforgetable.
North India trip
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Daily holiday rental at Bukit Indah Johor Bahru near Legoland Malaysia
- 2 Bangkok: Shangri-La, Penninsula, Mandarin Oriental
- 3 Air Asia All You Can Fly
- 4 A Thailand holiday vacation 9 years in a row!
- 5 vietnam and laos
- 6 My SEA trip - photos update
- 7 Nepal- recipe?
- 8 Busan in two weeks January 2015, coping with the cold.
- 9 Which Section of Great Wall? And add visit to Ming Tombs?
- 10 Travel Report for Laos - Asia’s Most Relaxed Destination
- 11 Best country to visit 1st time in Southeast Asia
- 12 Myanmar Itinerary Please Help?!
- 13 Trip to Borneo to See Orangutans
- 14 Travelling btwn M'asia&Jkt
- 15 Kerala Itinerary - Houseboat and Tree House Questions
- 16 Moving to KL: Sim card + Place to stay
- 17 10 Day Japan Trip - Need Some Help Choosing!
- 18 First trip to Vietnam! Help me with my itinerary please!
- 19 Travel Report to Siem Reap + Angkor + Northwest Cambodia
- 20 New Hanoi Hotel opening
- 21 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 22 Connaught Place
- 23 questions about trip to Mrauk U
- 24 Burma - Our Mad Dash Across Too Much
- 25 Bali - seeking feedback on 3-week itinerary