Last April I booked a trek in Tibet through a Nepali Agency, of course TAAN registered. It seemed they had a good reputation and they have several Trip Advisor reviews. We paid 35% of the total amount as a booking deposit. We have the Invoice, the Service Voucher and the Cash Receipt from the Agnecy. Booking conditions foresee a 40% fee on this deposit in case of cancellation because of our own reasons until 5 days before departure.
Foreseen departure is September 17th and unfortunately Tibet is now closed and it is likely it will be in September as well. No deposit refund policy was clearly stated before in this case.
Now we are discussing about alternative treks in Nepal. The Agent is giving us unbeliveable quotations for these treks, about 65% more than the quotation for same trek we now have from another "first class" Nepali agency. We well know this last one because supported us in a climbing trek last year, but unfortunately they did not have the Tibet program we were interested in.
We are now asking the Agent to refund our booking deposit, but he is taking time and it is clear that he does not want to give me back money. I am not sure at all that he will give me back even the 60% of the deposit which is due in case of cancellation by me. This is because the Agent is proving not to be reliable and honest in discussing the alternatives.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the refund of this deposit ? Is it possible to ask some Authority in Nepal ? We want at least to get back our 60%.
I avoid to publish the name of this Agency before the end of this story.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 2 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 3 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 4 2 weeks in Java
- 5 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 6 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 7 Italy from an Asian base
- 8 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 9 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 10 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 11 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 12 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 13 My new 10 year china visa
- 14 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 15 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 16 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 17 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 18 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 19 Update on riding elephants
- 20 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 21 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 22 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy
- 23 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 24 Thailand 1st time - June travel
- 25 Thai Airways International Layover: Baggage Recheck?