Last April I booked a trek in Tibet through a Nepali Agency, of course TAAN registered. It seemed they had a good reputation and they have several Trip Advisor reviews. We paid 35% of the total amount as a booking deposit. We have the Invoice, the Service Voucher and the Cash Receipt from the Agnecy. Booking conditions foresee a 40% fee on this deposit in case of cancellation because of our own reasons until 5 days before departure.
Foreseen departure is September 17th and unfortunately Tibet is now closed and it is likely it will be in September as well. No deposit refund policy was clearly stated before in this case.
Now we are discussing about alternative treks in Nepal. The Agent is giving us unbeliveable quotations for these treks, about 65% more than the quotation for same trek we now have from another "first class" Nepali agency. We well know this last one because supported us in a climbing trek last year, but unfortunately they did not have the Tibet program we were interested in.
We are now asking the Agent to refund our booking deposit, but he is taking time and it is clear that he does not want to give me back money. I am not sure at all that he will give me back even the 60% of the deposit which is due in case of cancellation by me. This is because the Agent is proving not to be reliable and honest in discussing the alternatives.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the refund of this deposit ? Is it possible to ask some Authority in Nepal ? We want at least to get back our 60%.
I avoid to publish the name of this Agency before the end of this story.
Nepal - Booking deposit refund problem
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Ubud Bali
- 2 Spring trip to Tokyo and Kyoto -10 days
- 3 Best Time of Year to Visit Ko Samui/Krabi (Weather)
- 4 April in Bangkok, again!
- 5 12 day split between Beijing and Shanghai
- 6 Which Putu in Bali????
- 7 osaka to kobe frrom ship to ship
- 8 Biting the India bullet...well, maybe...
- 9 Japan, japan
- 10 Have you stayed at Outrigger Laguna Beach Resort Phuket?
- 11 Bangkok, Luang Prabang, Luang Say, Chiang Rai, Singapore (but no Siem Reap)
- 12 Flying from place to place in Asia - here's our plan with questions
- 13 Hong Kong restaurants
- 14 Problems at 12,000'
- 15 GOING TO SE ASIA , NEED HELP
- 16 Hotels in Hong Kong
- 17 India for 2 weeks in December/January
- 18 Drinking cheap in Singapore
- 19 Has anyone done a houseboat trip in Kerala
- 20 Bali trip - Places to visit outside of Bali / SE Asia
- 21 Sixteen Day in South Korea
- 22 SE Asia July/August - more itinerary advice needed
- 23 what gifts to take to host in Cambodia from the U.D.
- 24 Recs for Tokyo hotels
- 25 How safe is Delhi/India