Last April I booked a trek in Tibet through a Nepali Agency, of course TAAN registered. It seemed they had a good reputation and they have several Trip Advisor reviews. We paid 35% of the total amount as a booking deposit. We have the Invoice, the Service Voucher and the Cash Receipt from the Agnecy. Booking conditions foresee a 40% fee on this deposit in case of cancellation because of our own reasons until 5 days before departure.
Foreseen departure is September 17th and unfortunately Tibet is now closed and it is likely it will be in September as well. No deposit refund policy was clearly stated before in this case.
Now we are discussing about alternative treks in Nepal. The Agent is giving us unbeliveable quotations for these treks, about 65% more than the quotation for same trek we now have from another "first class" Nepali agency. We well know this last one because supported us in a climbing trek last year, but unfortunately they did not have the Tibet program we were interested in.
We are now asking the Agent to refund our booking deposit, but he is taking time and it is clear that he does not want to give me back money. I am not sure at all that he will give me back even the 60% of the deposit which is due in case of cancellation by me. This is because the Agent is proving not to be reliable and honest in discussing the alternatives.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the refund of this deposit ? Is it possible to ask some Authority in Nepal ? We want at least to get back our 60%.
I avoid to publish the name of this Agency before the end of this story.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 2 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 3 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 4 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 5 Osaka-Kyoto-Takayama -Kanazawa in 12 days with Kids Doable?
- 6 What seems to be my final itinerary
- 7 Totally unprepared
- 8 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 9 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 10 Hang Son Doong Cave in Vietnam
- 11 Tokyo Itinerary Help please
- 12 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 13 20 things to think about when interacting with animals in Thailand
- 14 Nai Thon beach Thailand
- 15 An island paradise?
- 16 1946-2007: An Old Soldier Returns to Camp Site in Beppu
- 17 Taxis at Mumbai airport
- 18 Need some help with my final itinerary
- 19 Yet again! This time in Dharamsala
- 20 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 21 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 22 Rental Car Bali
- 23 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 24 Kintamani Tour
- 25 Some notes about South Korea