Last April I booked a trek in Tibet through a Nepali Agency, of course TAAN registered. It seemed they had a good reputation and they have several Trip Advisor reviews. We paid 35% of the total amount as a booking deposit. We have the Invoice, the Service Voucher and the Cash Receipt from the Agnecy. Booking conditions foresee a 40% fee on this deposit in case of cancellation because of our own reasons until 5 days before departure.
Foreseen departure is September 17th and unfortunately Tibet is now closed and it is likely it will be in September as well. No deposit refund policy was clearly stated before in this case.
Now we are discussing about alternative treks in Nepal. The Agent is giving us unbeliveable quotations for these treks, about 65% more than the quotation for same trek we now have from another "first class" Nepali agency. We well know this last one because supported us in a climbing trek last year, but unfortunately they did not have the Tibet program we were interested in.
We are now asking the Agent to refund our booking deposit, but he is taking time and it is clear that he does not want to give me back money. I am not sure at all that he will give me back even the 60% of the deposit which is due in case of cancellation by me. This is because the Agent is proving not to be reliable and honest in discussing the alternatives.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the refund of this deposit ? Is it possible to ask some Authority in Nepal ? We want at least to get back our 60%.
I avoid to publish the name of this Agency before the end of this story.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 2 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 3 traveling Japan for 2 months--cities to base in?
- 4 Hanoi Hotel
- 5 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 6 Spontaneous trip to Japan
- 7 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 8 A Food Obsessive's First Time Hong Kong
- 9 Need help choosing a tour company.
- 10 AirAsia from DMK (vs. other airlines from BKK) to Siem Reap
- 11 Family Japan Trip August 2016
- 12 Best area to stay in Tokyo
- 13 MT. Fuji as a day trip from Tokyo
- 14 Agoda for Myanmar hotels
- 15 Ayutthaya & Bangkok - Travel Report
- 16 My plans 5 days japan 1 korea
- 17 Earthquake in Myanmar
- 18 Have you stayed at Dormy Inn Expres s Asakusa ?
- 19 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 20 Ferrari Hire Bangkok
- 21 A great trip in India
- 22 Burma in Jan, weather questions.
- 23 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 24 Rangoon and Lake Inle, how many days?
- 25 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?