I am planning a quick trip 6 night trip to Japan for this October. I am thinking of staying 3 nights in Tokyo, then taking the bullet train to Kyoto to stay 3 nights.
This will be my first time to Japan and I am not familiar with either region. I will need to rely on public transportation while I am there. Can you please provide suggestions on places and sections of town to stay. I am a guy in my mid-30s. I am really interested in experiencing the traditional and cultural aspects of Japan, and I’m trying to avoid “touristy” hotels. I was also looking into staying at a Traditional Ryokan at least a portion of my trip. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions or feedback?
In Tokyo, I’m looking to also experience some of the night life and the big city and party a bit.
In Kyoto, I would like to see the ancient cites, experience Japanese Zen Buddhist Philosophy, visit the gardens, attend a tea ceremony, and relax.
Please respond with suggestions.
Thank you in advance for the help!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 2 First timer to Hong Kong, Thailand & Cambodia
- 3 Itinerary/tips for 2-3 weeks in Japan in Nov.
- 4 First time in Japan in November - Request Itinerary Help
- 5 3 weeks in Japan
- 6 New Years in Japan
- 7 2 weeks in Vietnam
- 8 Appropriate Dress For The Cultural Triangle
- 9 Touristy Thailand
- 10 Tour company for China and Southeast Asia
- 11 3 Weeks Thailand Itinerary - Advice Sought
- 12 One week in Taiwan (is not enough!)
- 13 Vietnam with kids/teens
- 14 Myanmar tour companies
- 15 Help with 2 week Thailand itinerary
- 16 Understanding beach destinations in Thailand
- 17 A Victory Day Tour
- 18 16 hour layover in Indonesia; what to do?
- 19 Kinosake Onsen Ryokan
- 20 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 21 One Visa for multiple countries?
- 22 Procuring Letter of Invitation from Kazakhastan for Visa
- 23 Memories: Astana, Expo 2017
- 24 A first time for everything in Japan
- 25 EF tours fired incompetent tour guide