My husband and I are taking a 21 day trip to China (our first to Asia) this August. Yes we know it will be hot! We have tentatively decided our main points of interest but we have about 4-6 unaccounted for days that we can't decide how to use. Hoping to get your opinions on which of several options would be the best for us.
I should note that due to the nature of our jobs and several other factors, we aren't sure if we'll make it back to China again. So while we definitely don't want to over-do it, we really want to get a nice range of what China has to offer. Also, we don't care for museums and instead prefer culture and natural scenery.
Here’s what we have so far: (14-16 days plus any needed travel time)
- 2-3 Days: Shanghai/Water town: We don't have a ton of interest in Shanghai (it was the cheapest ticket) and view it mainly as a place to recover from jetlag.
- 4-5 Days: Beijing and Great Wall.
-1-2 days: Xian- We mainly want to see the Terracotta Warriors and Muslim Quarter; could skip the rest
- 5 days: Yangshuo & Rice Terraces (3 days Yangshuo, 2 for rice terraces)
- 1 day- Hong Kong- arrive day before flight leaves. No major plans here (again, it was the cheapest ticket).
Please help us decide between the following options for our remaining 4-6 days. We can afford about 2 internal flights at some point. The rest will probably need to be by train.:
(1) Overnight from Xian to Chengdu; 1 day Chengdu, 2 days Leshan & Emeishan (is that sufficient to hike at least part of Emeishan?). Then likely fly to Guilin.
(2) Add in Pingyao as we travel between Beijing and Xian? Not sure what else we would include with this option but Pingyao looks cool.
(3) Head to Zhangjiajie/Wulingyuan, Fenghuan, Dehang after we leave Xian. Would probably hire a guide to help with this.
(4) Yunnan Province? Lijang? We think it looks awesome but are under the impression this wouldn't be feasible in our itinerary. Is that an accurate impression?
(5) Are there other mountain areas or monastaries/temples on our route that we haven’t mentioned that would fit well in our plans ?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 How would you spend your last few days in Thailand.
- 2 Passport
- 3 Are knitting needles allowed on ANA?
- 4 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 5 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 6 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 7 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 8 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 9 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 10 Amakusa island help
- 11 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 12 Month in Cambodia and Laos - January 2017
- 13 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 14 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 15 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 16 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 17 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 18 Cheapest way to Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand.
- 19 Japan Itinerary
- 20 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 21 Toddler twin travel in India
- 22 Train vs Taxi from BKK to hotel
- 23 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 24 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 25 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans