My husband and I are taking a 21 day trip to China (our first to Asia) this August. Yes we know it will be hot! We have tentatively decided our main points of interest but we have about 4-6 unaccounted for days that we can't decide how to use. Hoping to get your opinions on which of several options would be the best for us.
I should note that due to the nature of our jobs and several other factors, we aren't sure if we'll make it back to China again. So while we definitely don't want to over-do it, we really want to get a nice range of what China has to offer. Also, we don't care for museums and instead prefer culture and natural scenery.
Here’s what we have so far: (14-16 days plus any needed travel time)
- 2-3 Days: Shanghai/Water town: We don't have a ton of interest in Shanghai (it was the cheapest ticket) and view it mainly as a place to recover from jetlag.
- 4-5 Days: Beijing and Great Wall.
-1-2 days: Xian- We mainly want to see the Terracotta Warriors and Muslim Quarter; could skip the rest
- 5 days: Yangshuo & Rice Terraces (3 days Yangshuo, 2 for rice terraces)
- 1 day- Hong Kong- arrive day before flight leaves. No major plans here (again, it was the cheapest ticket).
Please help us decide between the following options for our remaining 4-6 days. We can afford about 2 internal flights at some point. The rest will probably need to be by train.:
(1) Overnight from Xian to Chengdu; 1 day Chengdu, 2 days Leshan & Emeishan (is that sufficient to hike at least part of Emeishan?). Then likely fly to Guilin.
(2) Add in Pingyao as we travel between Beijing and Xian? Not sure what else we would include with this option but Pingyao looks cool.
(3) Head to Zhangjiajie/Wulingyuan, Fenghuan, Dehang after we leave Xian. Would probably hire a guide to help with this.
(4) Yunnan Province? Lijang? We think it looks awesome but are under the impression this wouldn't be feasible in our itinerary. Is that an accurate impression?
(5) Are there other mountain areas or monastaries/temples on our route that we haven’t mentioned that would fit well in our plans ?
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Recommended novel for those visiting (or who have visited ) Cambodia
- 2 Chestnuts, Hokusai, Snow Monkeys: two day trip to Obuse & Shibu Onsen
- 3 Feb 3- Feb 11, 2017 Itinerary help please
- 4 TOP THINGS TO DO IN BAGAN, MYANMAR
- 5 50th Anniversary trip
- 6 Are 8 days enough for this itinerary ?
- 7 SE Asia in December/January
- 8 A Journey to Jagna, Bohol - Trip Report
- 9 My Topic TitleTravel Partner in Karimunjawa Islands
- 10 Osaka-Kyoto-Shiragawa-Tokyo
- 11 Myanmaromestic flights and transport :cash :guide/travel agency i
- 12 14 days in Myanmar
- 13 Harbin in mid March
- 14 Changing planes at Dubai
- 15 Trip Report: Pandaw’s cruise down the Mekong from China to Laos
- 16 The Mystic East - a tale of hot food, hot weather, airmiles and imodium.
- 17 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 18 Indian Food Series
- 19 First time in India and Nepal-HELP
- 20 "necessities" for India
- 21 New Year Eve in Hanoi
- 22 Early planning for Kazakhstan and Mongolia
- 23 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 24 12 x Day Itinerary- Please give me your feedback
- 25 DC to Dubai 3 nts, Tokyo 6 nts. Kyoto day trip? Itinerary thoughts?