I am planning my next trip to Japan on May 2014. A friend and I heard about the JR Pass and we tried to look it online on how to use the pass. However, I am a bit lost on how exactly to use it. Our trip will be Tokyo - Osaka - Tokyo with maximizing day trips in between. We are planning to have full 10 days there and might visit mt. Fuji, Gotemba, Hakone, Nara, and Kyoto. The question is: is the JR Pass can be used in ANY kind of train transportation? Like we say, between stations, or is it only can be used on shinkansen? We tried to google it, but apparently we cannot find any explanation. Next, is it easy to use? One of our concern is being totally lost in translation. Both of us cannot speak any Japanese. Lastly, is it cheaper to buy the pass or should we just buy the tickets on the spot? What is the payment mechanism? We pay per trip or we just deposit some money and the ticket price will be deducted on a card?
Thank you travelers... Hope i can hear from you soon...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Layover in Hong Kong
- 2 Itinerary review: Alpine Route
- 3 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 4 A fun week in Bangkok!
- 5 Blooming chart in Japan
- 6 Itinerary Review: What do you think?
- 7 Four nights in Kanazawa + Noto Peninsula self drive + Shirakawago stopover
- 8 Tibet and BhutanTour
- 9 4.5 days in Singapore
- 10 Beach time in Thailand - mid November
- 11 Italy from an Asian base
- 12 Bus service in Nepal
- 13 Travel to India in May?
- 14 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 15 9 days in Bali
- 16 Bus travel Luang Prabang to Xishuangbanna. Anyone?
- 17 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 18 Advice for a newbie!
- 19 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 20 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 21 Advice for 8 days in Nepal
- 22 Are personal tour guides in Tokyo and Kyoto work the cost?
- 23 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 24 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 25 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?