I am planning my next trip to Japan on May 2014. A friend and I heard about the JR Pass and we tried to look it online on how to use the pass. However, I am a bit lost on how exactly to use it. Our trip will be Tokyo - Osaka - Tokyo with maximizing day trips in between. We are planning to have full 10 days there and might visit mt. Fuji, Gotemba, Hakone, Nara, and Kyoto. The question is: is the JR Pass can be used in ANY kind of train transportation? Like we say, between stations, or is it only can be used on shinkansen? We tried to google it, but apparently we cannot find any explanation. Next, is it easy to use? One of our concern is being totally lost in translation. Both of us cannot speak any Japanese. Lastly, is it cheaper to buy the pass or should we just buy the tickets on the spot? What is the payment mechanism? We pay per trip or we just deposit some money and the ticket price will be deducted on a card?
Thank you travelers... Hope i can hear from you soon...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 2 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 3 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 4 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 5 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 6 10 days in Sri Lanka - Travel Report
- 7 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 8 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 9 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 10 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 11 November, March, June... Japan?
- 12 Itinerary Help Japan
- 13 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 14 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 15 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 16 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 17 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 18 Silk Road Tour - China
- 19 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 20 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 21 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 22 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 23 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 24 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 25 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017