I am planning my next trip to Japan on May 2014. A friend and I heard about the JR Pass and we tried to look it online on how to use the pass. However, I am a bit lost on how exactly to use it. Our trip will be Tokyo - Osaka - Tokyo with maximizing day trips in between. We are planning to have full 10 days there and might visit mt. Fuji, Gotemba, Hakone, Nara, and Kyoto. The question is: is the JR Pass can be used in ANY kind of train transportation? Like we say, between stations, or is it only can be used on shinkansen? We tried to google it, but apparently we cannot find any explanation. Next, is it easy to use? One of our concern is being totally lost in translation. Both of us cannot speak any Japanese. Lastly, is it cheaper to buy the pass or should we just buy the tickets on the spot? What is the payment mechanism? We pay per trip or we just deposit some money and the ticket price will be deducted on a card?
Thank you travelers... Hope i can hear from you soon...
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Hanoi Hotel
- 2 Best Hotel in Hanoi Old Quarter
- 3 TRIP REPORT: Osaka to Hiroshima and in-between stops (tsuyu / summer)
- 4 BKK Street Food Disappearing per BBC
- 5 Visiting China - must be tour
- 6 Back to Bangkok this month!
- 7 Questions on Details for 23 Days in Japan
- 8 Onsen ryokan for single near Tokyo
- 9 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 10 What is the best way to travel through Budapest, Vienna, and Prague?
- 11 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 12 Recommendations for Asian Tour
- 13 Hakone and Mt Fuji
- 14 Best places to photo-shoot landscapes and natural beauty
- 15 Udon Thani to Chiang Mai by road
- 16 Thailand - Khao Lak [Andaman Coast] area
- 17 An island paradise?
- 18 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 19 6 months SE Asia and New Zeland
- 20 mekong delta vietnam tours which operator to go for?
- 21 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 22 Budget accommodation in Krabi and Phi Phi island??
- 23 Japan - first timer - itinerary help please!
- 24 Kyoto to Tokyo on December 31?
- 25 Has anyone used Sanctuary Ananda to cruise in Burma?