My mother is flying Chicago to Narita (American Airlines), then connecting to a Japan Airlines flight (also Narita) down to Okinawa. (This itinerary is all on one ticket.)
QUESTION 1: Baggage Claim
Her suitcase will be "checked" (or coded) at Chicago/O'Hare, all the way down to Okinawa.
However, I understand once she goes through Immigration at Narita, she will have to claim her bag.
American Airlines tells me she SHOULD be able to check her bag in the Baggage Claim area for her connecting flight.
Do you know if this is true? Or will she have to go up to departures to the JAL counter and check her bag there?
QUESTION 2: Check in - Connecting Flight; Go through Security?
As my mother (I believe) goes through Immigration in Tokyo (not Okinawa), will she have to Check in at the JAL counter (to get a boarding pass), and go through Security again? Or as AA and JAL appear to be in the same terminal, will she be able to somehow get a boarding pass and her gate information without going out to the arrival lobby, and up a level to JAL counter.
Thank you in advance. I'll ask at O'Hare, too, but if anyone has experienced a connecting flight in Tokyo to another airport in Japan, I'd appreciate the feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Nywoman an older single traveler explores Taiwan and Japan
- 2 Need help filling out my itinerary
- 3 Tasting Sri Lanka
- 4 Advice on where to stay in Luang Prabang
- 5 6-8 Weeks in South East Asia
- 6 Custom Dress and man’s suit made in Hoi Ann
- 7 India help needed
- 8 Place to stay Hue
- 9 Hotel in Hanoi
- 10 Help with SEAsia itinerary
- 11 Go to Pai or not?
- 12 Ko Kraden hotels
- 13 Driver needed from Heho airport to Kalaw, from Kalaw to Inle lake
- 14 Hoi Ann hotel
- 15 International Bank Accounts. Have you done this?
- 16 Good fare for US west coast to Japan?
- 17 Bangkok hotels/neighborhoods
- 18 First time to Japan - tour or independent trip?
- 19 Trekking outside Sapa
- 20 Three Week Trip to Japan
- 21 Water Towns near Shanghai
- 22 Four Days in South Korea (Incheon and Seoul) with Baby
- 23 Thai Silk in Bangkok
- 24 The Princess Journeys To Sri Lanka and South India
- 25 Thai Island Itinerary