Hi good folks,
I know Myammar is a hot topic these days and I am sorry if I'm being redundant. My friend and I are thinking of travelling to Myanmar in October but without taking
any domestic flights. One of us is afraid of flying the local airlines, but I won't say who.
Anyway, assuming we want to hit the big 4 plus other interesting stops along the way, is it possible to do it fairly comfortably with only using trains and/or car with driver? We are thinking about a 2 week trip or possibly slightly longer if necessary. The big 4 of course would be Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. I know the distances are pretty far and have read some of the time tables that show 12+ hours on the trains...but if there are hidden spots in between could we break up the trip?
I have heard bad things about the trains but don't know if the upper class train cars are really that bad. And if the roads are as bad as they are made out to be.
I'm sure there's a large hole in my question...but since I'm just starting my research thought I'd ask you good folks.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks much for any insights you can share!
Myanmar without taking internal flights
Hi good folks,
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Halong Bay Tour - Is there another day tour you recommend instead?
- 2 What are good things to buy while in Shanghai China
- 3 Visa Arrived..off to India!!!
- 4 Glovers 2 month India adventure has begun!
- 5 From Singapore to NZ: A Remarkable Safari Through Time and Across Cultures
- 6 Japan Itinerary for May
- 7 South Korea 5 days
- 8 Japan -OAT tour
- 9 Thai island escape
- 10 Great trip to Myanmar, Bangkok and Hong Kong
- 11 Questions on Places to See in Burma
- 12 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 13 Transport logistics: Kyoto, Hiroshima/Miyajima, Kyushu
- 14 India Visa - BLS international. Lost passport FBI complaint
- 15 General question
- 16 Train Travel During Golden Week
- 17 Staying in Hong Kong but want to visit Shenzen
- 18 Purchasing a Nozomi train ticket - Tokyo to Kyoto
- 19 Myanmar (Burma) Trip Report
- 20 Travels in Tumultuous Thailand, languid Luang Prabang & Smiling Siem Reap
- 21 Plans changed: 3 weeks two festivals
- 22 Please share the things you liked in Hanoi and Hoi An
- 23 Bout Phi Phi to Phuket
- 24 Phuket Hotel
- 25 First timer trying to prepare for trip of a lifetime: BURMA