Hi good folks,
I know Myammar is a hot topic these days and I am sorry if I'm being redundant. My friend and I are thinking of travelling to Myanmar in October but without taking
any domestic flights. One of us is afraid of flying the local airlines, but I won't say who.
Anyway, assuming we want to hit the big 4 plus other interesting stops along the way, is it possible to do it fairly comfortably with only using trains and/or car with driver? We are thinking about a 2 week trip or possibly slightly longer if necessary. The big 4 of course would be Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. I know the distances are pretty far and have read some of the time tables that show 12+ hours on the trains...but if there are hidden spots in between could we break up the trip?
I have heard bad things about the trains but don't know if the upper class train cars are really that bad. And if the roads are as bad as they are made out to be.
I'm sure there's a large hole in my question...but since I'm just starting my research thought I'd ask you good folks.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks much for any insights you can share!
Myanmar without taking internal flights
Hi good folks,
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Cost differences between spring and autumn visits to Japan?
- 2 Some Final Thoughts on a Trip to SE Asia
- 3 Ideas for an off beaten path trip in Burma
- 4 World Record-breaking Art Exhibition in Hong Kong ( Big Era - 1960s )
- 5 First Time Visit to Japan in November 2015 - Itinerary Review
- 6 Is Boutique Sri Lanka out of business?
- 7 Vietnam Family Travel Plans
- 8 Tokyo and Thailand in July
- 9 Welcome To Saigon. The Heat Is On.
- 10 Myanmar - Our thoughts and experiences from our recent trip
- 11 July itinerary in Japan
- 12 Tokyo to Takayama or Kanazawa
- 13 Help! Selecting a Thai beach!
- 14 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 15 tips and ideas for 10 days in Sri Lanka, train travel, beach options
- 16 10 Day Trip Through Japan (Help needed!)
- 17 picture for evisa for Myanmar?
- 18 At the very beginning stages of planning a trip to Shanghai and Beijing
- 19 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 20 60+ travelers to Vietnam, package tour or day tours?
- 21 Dinner for friends visiting Hanoi
- 22 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 23 Myanmar - some questions
- 24 NYT Article on Myanmar
- 25 Christmas in Kerala? Birthday in Goa?