Hi good folks,
I know Myammar is a hot topic these days and I am sorry if I'm being redundant. My friend and I are thinking of travelling to Myanmar in October but without taking
any domestic flights. One of us is afraid of flying the local airlines, but I won't say who.
Anyway, assuming we want to hit the big 4 plus other interesting stops along the way, is it possible to do it fairly comfortably with only using trains and/or car with driver? We are thinking about a 2 week trip or possibly slightly longer if necessary. The big 4 of course would be Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. I know the distances are pretty far and have read some of the time tables that show 12+ hours on the trains...but if there are hidden spots in between could we break up the trip?
I have heard bad things about the trains but don't know if the upper class train cars are really that bad. And if the roads are as bad as they are made out to be.
I'm sure there's a large hole in my question...but since I'm just starting my research thought I'd ask you good folks.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks much for any insights you can share!
Myanmar without taking internal flights
Hi good folks,
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Driving in Laos
- 2 Chiang Mai seven days - help please?
- 3 Sri Lanka trip Sept 2014
- 4 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 5 Bali and Java - 24 September to 23 October 2014
- 6 Cheapest and safe alternative for individual transportation
- 7 Keng Tung Trek, difficult, moderate, or easy?
- 8 Confused about where to stay in Tokyo
- 9 An extra day or two--suggestions? (Kanto, Chubu, Kinki or Chugoku)
- 10 Kyoto to Koyasan, then Koyasan to Hiroshima
- 11 Tokyo to Takayama with transit in Matsumoto in one day
- 12 Myanmar: Anyone traveled to Mrauk U ?
- 13 Sri Lanka Itinerary: comments welcome
- 14 Singapòre with a 9 year old
- 15 Feedback on our C&K India itinerary
- 16 Malaysian honeymoon
- 17 Backpacking - Does she remind you of anyone?
- 18 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 19 Indonesia - 1 month itinerary
- 20 Favorite hotel in X'ian?
- 21 Myanmar - Organizing Trip for 2015
- 22 India - 2 Days only
- 23 China with Collette Tours
- 24 9 nights in Hong Kong in November - how to split up?
- 25 TRIP REPORT: Seoul, South Korea (9 days)