Hi good folks,
I know Myammar is a hot topic these days and I am sorry if I'm being redundant. My friend and I are thinking of travelling to Myanmar in October but without taking
any domestic flights. One of us is afraid of flying the local airlines, but I won't say who.
Anyway, assuming we want to hit the big 4 plus other interesting stops along the way, is it possible to do it fairly comfortably with only using trains and/or car with driver? We are thinking about a 2 week trip or possibly slightly longer if necessary. The big 4 of course would be Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. I know the distances are pretty far and have read some of the time tables that show 12+ hours on the trains...but if there are hidden spots in between could we break up the trip?
I have heard bad things about the trains but don't know if the upper class train cars are really that bad. And if the roads are as bad as they are made out to be.
I'm sure there's a large hole in my question...but since I'm just starting my research thought I'd ask you good folks.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks much for any insights you can share!
Myanmar without taking internal flights
Hi good folks,
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Adelphi Suites
- 2 3 weeks in Myanmar-What an adventure!
- 3 2 Weeks in Thailand - Looking for suggestions
- 4 Hakone - where to stay for two nights
- 5 Clothing needs
- 6 Silver shops on New Road behind the Oriental Hotel. Bangkok
- 7 Nancy Chandler maps
- 8 Hong Kong, Thailand Skin products
- 9 Wedding anniversary in Bali
- 10 Phuket Reniassaince/The Shore in November-swimmable beach?
- 11 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 12 Help re. Visa.
- 13 Snow Monkeys in Japan
- 14 possible trip for family of 4 to Japan over New Years. Is it worth trying?
- 15 2-3 days to spend near Shanghai: Hangzhou or Monganshan?
- 16 Elephants in Northern Thailand
- 17 swim after Christmas at Hoi An vietnam?
- 18 Medical/supplemental insurance for India
- 19 15 days in Japan in March/April
- 20 Jet Lagged in Mumbai
- 21 13 Hour layover in KL, never visited city before, ideas?
- 22 Free Sumo ticket in Fukuoka November 21
- 23 Do we need to reserve trains far in advance or just rock up to Station?
- 24 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 25 getting from Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi