Hi good folks,
I know Myammar is a hot topic these days and I am sorry if I'm being redundant. My friend and I are thinking of travelling to Myanmar in October but without taking
any domestic flights. One of us is afraid of flying the local airlines, but I won't say who.
Anyway, assuming we want to hit the big 4 plus other interesting stops along the way, is it possible to do it fairly comfortably with only using trains and/or car with driver? We are thinking about a 2 week trip or possibly slightly longer if necessary. The big 4 of course would be Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan and Inle Lake. I know the distances are pretty far and have read some of the time tables that show 12+ hours on the trains...but if there are hidden spots in between could we break up the trip?
I have heard bad things about the trains but don't know if the upper class train cars are really that bad. And if the roads are as bad as they are made out to be.
I'm sure there's a large hole in my question...but since I'm just starting my research thought I'd ask you good folks.
Thoughts anyone? Thanks much for any insights you can share!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 2 5 weeks in Japan
- 3 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95
- 4 TRIP REPORT: Just returned from first visit to Japan!
- 5 India trip report-brief recommendations
- 6 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 7 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 8 Lodge in Borneo
- 9 Best Singapore Sunday Brunch Hotel?
- 10 China and Japan help
- 11 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 12 Trip report: Horse riding holiday in Sri Lanka – October 2015
- 13 First time – Solo - Japan 2016
- 14 Thank You Fabulous Fodorites, and some Upcoming Trip Questions
- 15 India - Bangalore, Mysore & Agra
- 16 Requesting Passport Number
- 17 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 18 Kompong Kleang or Kompong Phluk?
- 19 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 20 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 21 Phu Quoc
- 22 looking for Vietnam based TA to help plan trip
- 23 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 24 Help! India Visa question....
- 25 Singapore hotel
Hi good folks,