I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 2 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 3 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 4 Gutted!
- 5 Kavey April 2016 Japan Itinerary Planning
- 6 Family Trip to Japan
- 7 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 8 5 weeks in Japan
- 9 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 10 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 11 Please comment on our 19 day itinerary for March 2016
- 12 New Member
- 13 Restaurants in Chennai, Kanchipurum and Pondicherry
- 14 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 15 Tashi Delek: trip report from Bhutan 2015
- 16 Hong Kong Trip Report November 2015
- 17 Kathie and Cheryl are off on another SE Asian adventure
- 18 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 19 3 weeks backpacking in Vietnam
- 20 Planning for a trip to Northwest Vietnam
- 21 Eating in Chiang Mai and Pai, Thailand
- 22 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 23 Myanmar- Popular Sights and even a few hospitals!
- 24 Advantage of using Smithsonian Tours
- 25 Tokyo Story's Setsuko Hara dies at 95