I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Jan-March: TH, HK, JP?
- 2 maldives safe for woman traveling alone?
- 3 India in March and April??
- 4 Datong in Winter
- 5 Places to Buy Japanese Whisky - Kyoto and Tokyo
- 6 Japan-best mobile wifi router?
- 7 K2 Base Camp- Concordia Gondogoro La Trek, Unforgettable Experience
- 8 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight
- 9 Japan- National Holiday
- 10 Planning a trek to Sikkim amid 16-21 of December 2016
- 11 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 12 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 13 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 14 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 15 India Safari 2017
- 16 Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore - advise is needed
- 17 Something out of the ordinary to do in Thailand
- 18 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 19 Yes, They Are wearing black in Bangkok
- 20 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 21 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 22 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 23 Rishikesh, India
- 24 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 25 Tokyo Shopping: Sports Team Tees