I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 http://x4peak.com/grovitex/
- 2 The Best of Bagan - Travel Report
- 3 Taxi Service In Dehradun
- 4 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 5 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 6 Bali & Flores or Sulawesi for first trip to Indonesia!
- 7 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 8 Train or Bus from Nikko, Hakone, etc
- 9 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 10 To see the Himalayas in 10 days?
- 11 November, March, June... Japan?
- 12 Itinerary Help Japan
- 13 3-4 Weeks in Bali alone?
- 14 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 15 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 16 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 17 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 18 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 19 Silk Road Tour - China
- 20 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 21 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 22 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 23 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 24 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 25 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days