I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Your "must try" Japanese food experiences.
- 2 Japan, round two - the planning begins...
- 3 Trip report: Thailand and Laos - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Luang Prabang
- 4 Cover in Bagan/temples
- 5 Hotel in Tokyo
- 6 Flower Arranging in Kyoto
- 7 Looking for a hotel in Singapore, what areas should I avoid?
- 8 Myanmar Help
- 9 Money (and cards) in Myanmar
- 10 Best month for weather, Burma, Laos
- 11 Bangkok, here I come! Yes, again!!
- 12 Japan Itinerary Help
- 13 Thailand and Myanmar-Hot Hot Hot!
- 14 Itinerary... and lots of trains. Advice Please
- 15 Vietnam - September 2015
- 16 Rain, hail (softened by sakura) couldn't stop us from loving Japan!
- 17 Is the Cable Car to Ngong Ping Village in Hong Kong worth it?
- 18 Where to stay in Koyasan?
- 19 Nepal - Earthquake (25 April 2015)
- 20 Do you travel with an air mask (N95) when you go to China?
- 21 Khao Lak
- 22 Hakone Ryokan - Gora Kansuiro
- 23 Khmer people please help me with translation
- 24 trekking in SE Asia
- 25 TR 'From DC to Delhi and beyond' dated 25 February 2015