I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
MSG in Foods In Shanghai & Singapore
- 1 Magical India
- 2 SALAY from BAGAN
- 3 Resorts With Private Cabins Instead Of Hotel Rooms?
- 4 Thailand-Bangkok-Ko Samui-Chang mai in the begining of May
- 5 Bangkok - Silver Shops
- 6 Craig and Jeane's Japan Photos are Up
- 7 Japan: best time to go?
- 8 Craig and Jeane Visit Japan - 2013 Trip Report
- 9 Trip Report Kerala: Backwaters & Beach (DEC 2013)
- 10 Plan On Finally Visiting Japan, Looking For Advice...!
- 11 Bangkok & demonstrations (2013)
- 12 Indian Visa: Experience with BLS International?
- 13 Any recommendations for drivers in Beijing?
- 14 Questions, questions and more questions for first time trip to Asia
- 15 7 Days in Sri Lanka
- 16 Beijing - is the air quality THAT bad?
- 17 Vietnam, From Top to Bottom in January 2014
- 18 Visit To Goa
- 19 Myanmar Tour- Odysseys Unlimited or Asia Transpacific
- 20 Pindaya -to visit or not?
- 21 BLS International - Frustrating Passport Renewal Process
- 22 First time trip to Japan - Fall 2013
- 23 Bangkok-Skytrain Update
- 24 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 25 Visa process for those residing in NY/NJ/CT