I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
MSG in Foods In Shanghai & Singapore
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan - spending money?
- 2 language problem in japan
- 3 two free days in Beijing
- 4 Hong Kong in August - hotel question
- 5 Japan Itinerary and JR pass questions/China 72-hour Visafree question
- 6 Karen and Tom - a romantic Vietnam getaway: ENGAGED!!!
- 7 Finally Going To Bali! Please Help With Flight and Alam Shanti Question
- 8 Help with Malaysia itinerary
- 9 Private Guide in Chiang Mai
- 10 last minute plan to visit Sapa, Vietnam -- help
- 11 April in Bangkok, again!
- 12 Truly a one day suit in Hong Kong?
- 13 Haneda to Narita Layover : Need advice
- 14 Headed to Thailand this June/July--Help!!
- 15 North India trip report with Castle and King tour company
- 16 Please help me plan 3.5 weeks in South Korea
- 17 7 days in Nepal, any suggestions?
- 18 21 days thailand and vietnam
- 19 Good golf in Indonesia?
- 20 Getting down to details and welcome advice: Tokyo
- 21 1st Trip to Bali
- 22 Phuket or Koh Samui
- 23 Japan night bus
- 24 Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam - Recommendations on order of Trip!
- 25 Help..Want to hire a guide/driver for Golden Triangle