I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
MSG in Foods In Shanghai & Singapore
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 There and back again: a conflicted (and reimagined) India Trip Report
- 2 Anything in Hanoi apart from the Old Quarter
- 3 Phuket and surrounding areas
- 4 NYT Article on Myanmar
- 5 60+ travelers to Vietnam, package tour or day tours?
- 6 Back from a Trip of a Lifetime! Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia!
- 7 Planning Japan Trip #2
- 8 HKIA taxi with 3 people plus luggage?
- 9 Vietnam Family Travel Plans
- 10 July itinerary in Japan
- 11 India and Nepal 2014
- 12 4-1/2 days in Seoul
- 13 Phones, staying in touch and SIM cards in India
- 14 2 Wonderful Weeks in Thailand
- 15 Vietnam Itinerary - should I drop anything as too much
- 16 How early do you get to get to the airport in Thailand?
- 17 China's Direct Visa - Yet Another Vexation!
- 18 Hong Kong and ? for 8 days in April
- 19 India: A dream trip meets reality for me
- 20 2015 Cherry Blossom Forecast Published
- 21 Solo female : Bali or Thailand?
- 22 Ideas for solo (female) trip next month
- 23 A week of blue skies in Beijing, who would've guessed?
- 24 How far in advance are hotels available to reserve?
- 25 Where in Bali should we stay