I hope this isn't a dumb question, but this has been bugging me today. My husband and I will visit Shanghai and Singapore as two stops on a round the world trip this July. We are so excited as both are new destinations for us.
I am very excited about eating in both places-the descriptions of the food and restaurants makes me hungry every time I open guidebooks or cruise the forum here for suggestions!
However, I think I have a minor MSG allergy. I haven't knowingly consumed a lot in recent years but I used to get a funny "stuffy, cottony" feeling in my head (not sinuses) sometimes after eating Chinese food in the US. I got used to just asking for no MSG and I haven't had it happen recently. I know it is used in some pre-packaged foods and spices here, and those amounts don't have any effect on me. However, I am a little concerned if they dump large quantities of it in the food in China and Singapore. I didn't have any problems with MSG in Vietnam, Cambodia or Thailand and I don't think I requested food without it. Not sure how much it is used there.
Will most restaurants be able to accomodate if I ask for no MSG? We are staying at the Le Royal Meridien in Shanghai-could they write my "no MSG" request on a card in Chinese for me? Is there a lot of MSG in the dumplings or is it mainly in very spicy dishes? I do really want to take advantage of eating all the good food while I'm there, so appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks so much in advance! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I do more research about these places!
MSG in Foods In Shanghai & Singapore
- 1 Udaipur, India
- 2 Honeymoon in Bali, July 2013
- 3 LCCT to KL Sentral or 1Utama?
- 4 Shopping- Beijing or Hong Kong?
- 5 Beijing To Tibet, Mt. Everest And Nepal All In 10 Days
- 6 Saphan Taksin station in the news again?
- 7 Nepal, Tibet, and Bhutan tour suggestions
- 8 which hotel in Bangkok in July?
- 9 Amazing Malaysia Trip!
- 10 Rajasthan tour: Car and Driver services, advise needed
- 11 Ipoh
- 12 Weather in Bangkok & Phuket in September
- 13 Wildlife Tour of India
- 14 Choosing a honeymoon Thai beach destination
- 15 white sand beaches in thailand
- 16 Trekking the Annapurna Circuit
- 17 Elegance Diamond or Ruby in Hanoi?
- 18 water delivery and water dispenser
- 19 Elephant Visit in Chiang Mai
- 20 SHANGHAI GTG MAY 30, 2013
- 21 Cell Phones in India
- 22 India, What Can I Say!
- 23 Dreamliner to Japan in Nov.?
- 24 Conference venues around Pune City?
- 25 taxi from manila airport to makati