I've just spent most of the day reading on DEET and Picaridin (two most effective substances against mosquito bites) and since this topic have not been brought up since '08, I wanted to share what I found and see what others had to say on the subject.
One of the most interesting sites I've found was: http://cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/insect/index.cfm (it lists all of the Insect Repellents) - notice the View All Results on the bottom.
According to the site, products with Controlled Release can protect you for much longer periods of time at lower chemical doses. For example, 20% controlled release DEET lasts 11 hours, whereas 98.3% DEET (max available) in OFF only lasts 10 hours.
Note: Picaridin max is 20%
Just so there is no misconception, they are both chemicals.
In both cases, strength of chemical does not increase strength of protection, just duration. (based on CDC)
Deet Pro: Lasts longer - up to 11 hours vs Picaridin max of 8 hours.
Picaridin Pro: Less irritation, easier to apply to face w/o causing eye itching.
Deet Pro: Time proven (1946) where as Picaridin is a incumbent (1990, on sale in 01).
Picaridin Pro: Odorless, where as Deet had an odor unpleasant to some.
Picaridin Pro: Will not melt plastic at higher concentrations.
Picaridin Pro: Provides protection against tics at lower concentration. Deet doesnt start offering tic protection until 25%.
Point of interest: Seems that US and Australian Army use 35% DEET
Another topic of my concern was availability overseas:
In my case I am in Japan, and max DEET available is 12% & Picaridin is not sold at all.
Solutions: International shipping with Amazon.com (route I am taking) or Ebay.
Mosquito repellent (DEET vs Picaridin) - 2010 topic
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 JR PASS AND ITINERARY
- 2 Places to visit in India in October
- 3 Two questions about Thailand
- 4 50+ travelling solo in Vietnam - where to stay in Hanoi
- 5 Six hours in Seoul, Korea
- 6 china
- 7 Sri Lanka trip Sept 2014
- 8 Please critique my Thailand itinerary
- 9 Souvenirs/shopping in Thailand
- 10 Suggestions for bike tour operators that offer smaller tours (4-5 days)
- 11 Mid Dec trip - Trying to plan alone **Feedback please****
- 12 Sapphire princess cruise from Singapore
- 13 THAILAND** Redone based on feedback dropped agent trying to do it myself
- 14 New airport in Mumbai
- 15 Advice me to select saving plans in terms of free roaming
- 16 South East Asia
- 17 Driving in Laos
- 18 One week in Tokyo
- 19 Agent to book domestic Nepal flights
- 20 Ideal itereneray for Nepal
- 21 Where to next after watching Nanjing 2014 YOG
- 22 Overnight layover/transit in PEK or Shanghai WITHOUT a visa?
- 23 Myanmar Trip Report: Is It "Too Late" To Go?
- 24 5 days booked in Ubud - would you spend one at the Writer's festival?
- 25 Thailand,Cambodia,Vietnam Itinerary ***Open to any suggestions