I've just spent most of the day reading on DEET and Picaridin (two most effective substances against mosquito bites) and since this topic have not been brought up since '08, I wanted to share what I found and see what others had to say on the subject.
One of the most interesting sites I've found was: http://cfpub.epa.gov/oppref/insect/index.cfm (it lists all of the Insect Repellents) - notice the View All Results on the bottom.
According to the site, products with Controlled Release can protect you for much longer periods of time at lower chemical doses. For example, 20% controlled release DEET lasts 11 hours, whereas 98.3% DEET (max available) in OFF only lasts 10 hours.
Note: Picaridin max is 20%
Just so there is no misconception, they are both chemicals.
In both cases, strength of chemical does not increase strength of protection, just duration. (based on CDC)
Deet Pro: Lasts longer - up to 11 hours vs Picaridin max of 8 hours.
Picaridin Pro: Less irritation, easier to apply to face w/o causing eye itching.
Deet Pro: Time proven (1946) where as Picaridin is a incumbent (1990, on sale in 01).
Picaridin Pro: Odorless, where as Deet had an odor unpleasant to some.
Picaridin Pro: Will not melt plastic at higher concentrations.
Picaridin Pro: Provides protection against tics at lower concentration. Deet doesnt start offering tic protection until 25%.
Point of interest: Seems that US and Australian Army use 35% DEET
Another topic of my concern was availability overseas:
In my case I am in Japan, and max DEET available is 12% & Picaridin is not sold at all.
Solutions: International shipping with Amazon.com (route I am taking) or Ebay.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Places to Buy Japanese Whisky - Kyoto and Tokyo
- 2 Japan-best mobile wifi router?
- 3 Jan-March: TH, HK, JP?
- 4 Visiting a Country in Mourning
- 5 Nywoman single older woman goes to Japan
- 6 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 7 Santa Maria Travels and Inle Lake
- 8 India Safari 2017
- 9 Japan- National Holiday
- 10 Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore - advise is needed
- 11 Something out of the ordinary to do in Thailand
- 12 India in March and April??
- 13 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 14 Yes, They Are wearing black in Bangkok
- 15 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 16 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 17 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 18 Rishikesh, India
- 19 7 days in Ho Chi Minh City
- 20 Tokyo Shopping: Sports Team Tees
- 21 Passport
- 22 Our trip to the Republic of Georgia
- 23 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 24 Tips for Others Planning to Visit Japan
- 25 Siem reap to Sihanoukville flight