I need some input from fellow travelers. I was initially on going to Rajastan in about two months time for three weeks, but because of some unavoidable issues have had to choose an alternative destination at the last minute for dates that I can't change.
I'm interested in cultural destinations (spiritual, ethnic, historical, but not contemporary) and was thinking of an Asian destination and have narrowed it down to Mongolia, Nepal/Tibet, and Japan/Korea.
I'm young and like travel independently. Mongolia in particular I'm not sure where to start with--most reports mention natural landscapes, but I'm more interested in the cultural side of things, e.g. if there are monasteries I could visit, etc. Nepal/Tibet sound like a good alternative option, but I'm less sure of safety (by which I'm mainly concerned about my DSLR) and ease of moving about. Is it similar to Bhutan minus the expense? (I haven't been to Bhutan, but have loved reading trip reports on it!)
Japan/Korea would be the easy option in as far as the aforementioned aspects are concerned, but obviously more pricey.
Appreciate input from anyone who's been to above places--mainly your general impression of what the travel experience was like (e.g. if the highlight was cultural versus natural, etc).
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 First time to Japan for 19 year old and Mom (me)
- 2 Bucket List Trip: Bali, Angkor Wat,Japan
- 3 A 6-week waking dream in North and South India.
- 4 Not Really A Trip Report Kind of Trip Report (Japan 2016)
- 5 Hanoi - SaPa - Hue
- 6 Awesome trip to Yellow Mountains and Hangzhou in China!
- 7 Yogyakarta - Prambanan and Borobudur Travel Report
- 8 Totally unprepared
- 9 Are Alexander+Roberts China Tours Any Good?
- 10 Rental Car Bali
- 11 Sulawesi
- 12 Some notes about South Korea
- 13 Another first-timer. Does this work?
- 14 Itinerary 3-1/2 week trip to Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand
- 15 Made the Jump!
- 16 Help plan my 11 days trip to Thailand
- 17 passport visa ques.
- 18 Need some help with my final itinerary
- 19 Looking for Serviced apt.
- 20 In Seoul for one day
- 21 Bhutan with Aman hotels, worth it?
- 22 A great trip in India
- 23 Help with hotel in Saigon - An Lam Saigon River or Hotel des Arts??
- 24 "China Eastern Airline" is it really bad??
- 25 A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali