I need some input from fellow travelers. I was initially on going to Rajastan in about two months time for three weeks, but because of some unavoidable issues have had to choose an alternative destination at the last minute for dates that I can't change.
I'm interested in cultural destinations (spiritual, ethnic, historical, but not contemporary) and was thinking of an Asian destination and have narrowed it down to Mongolia, Nepal/Tibet, and Japan/Korea.
I'm young and like travel independently. Mongolia in particular I'm not sure where to start with--most reports mention natural landscapes, but I'm more interested in the cultural side of things, e.g. if there are monasteries I could visit, etc. Nepal/Tibet sound like a good alternative option, but I'm less sure of safety (by which I'm mainly concerned about my DSLR) and ease of moving about. Is it similar to Bhutan minus the expense? (I haven't been to Bhutan, but have loved reading trip reports on it!)
Japan/Korea would be the easy option in as far as the aforementioned aspects are concerned, but obviously more pricey.
Appreciate input from anyone who's been to above places--mainly your general impression of what the travel experience was like (e.g. if the highlight was cultural versus natural, etc).
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Seeking Help with First Trip to Japan
- 2 My visit to Thailand
- 3 My visit to Cambodia
- 4 Third Time and Still Charmed: Kathie and Cheryl take a Pandaw Cruise
- 5 5 weeks in Japan
- 6 Japn tour 10 nights
- 7 Family Trip to Japan
- 8 Tour guides for Tokyo, Kyoto, Hakone, and Nara
- 9 timing of a Vietnam trip around Tet 2017
- 10 Holiday in Cambodia - plus Myanmar for a wedding.
- 11 Annual Fall Asia Trip
- 12 proposed itinerary for 14 nights Feb. 2016
- 13 Air India Versus Jet airways. Which is best for India
- 14 My visit to Vietnam
- 15 Best place to replenish my Japanese currency?
- 16 Nepal
- 17 Namaste--Nepal trip report November 2015
- 18 Sunday Brunch in Thailand
- 19 What is the Facilities & Services of Maharajas Express Train?
- 20 Gutted!
- 21 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 22 My visit to Lao
- 23 Vietnam and Cambodia opinions needed!
- 24 India Trip Three - Am I crazy?
- 25 Question about jungles (sumatra, borneo) and forest fires