I need some input from fellow travelers. I was initially on going to Rajastan in about two months time for three weeks, but because of some unavoidable issues have had to choose an alternative destination at the last minute for dates that I can't change.
I'm interested in cultural destinations (spiritual, ethnic, historical, but not contemporary) and was thinking of an Asian destination and have narrowed it down to Mongolia, Nepal/Tibet, and Japan/Korea.
I'm young and like travel independently. Mongolia in particular I'm not sure where to start with--most reports mention natural landscapes, but I'm more interested in the cultural side of things, e.g. if there are monasteries I could visit, etc. Nepal/Tibet sound like a good alternative option, but I'm less sure of safety (by which I'm mainly concerned about my DSLR) and ease of moving about. Is it similar to Bhutan minus the expense? (I haven't been to Bhutan, but have loved reading trip reports on it!)
Japan/Korea would be the easy option in as far as the aforementioned aspects are concerned, but obviously more pricey.
Appreciate input from anyone who's been to above places--mainly your general impression of what the travel experience was like (e.g. if the highlight was cultural versus natural, etc).
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Prehistoric sites in Java and Bali
- 2 Chengdu and Beijing
- 3 Southeast Asia Itinerary Advice
- 4 Help finding a ryokan / onsen!
- 5 Southern India here we come
- 6 Itinerary set for Japan trip #2: working on some details
- 7 One month on Bali/Lombok
- 8 2 months in Indonesia
- 9 Bridge players Beware!!
- 10 a year in burma
- 11 First time to SEA
- 12 First Trip to Japan in April 2016
- 13 Vaccinations
- 14 Osaka Kyoto Nara Itinerary
- 15 Vietnam vs. Beijing
- 16 Interestig article about Luang Prabang & UNESCO heritage appellation
- 17 Seoul Searching Questions
- 18 Hidden puchasing gems in Bali?
- 19 Travelling in China during the summer period
- 20 last minute lodging in kyoto
- 21 Kampot/Kep- 3 days
- 22 Sinorama Tour-Oct. 1, 2016
- 23 I miss Mongolia
- 24 HK - affordable "outer" areas for accommodation
- 25 Visa on Arrival