I need some input from fellow travelers. I was initially on going to Rajastan in about two months time for three weeks, but because of some unavoidable issues have had to choose an alternative destination at the last minute for dates that I can't change.
I'm interested in cultural destinations (spiritual, ethnic, historical, but not contemporary) and was thinking of an Asian destination and have narrowed it down to Mongolia, Nepal/Tibet, and Japan/Korea.
I'm young and like travel independently. Mongolia in particular I'm not sure where to start with--most reports mention natural landscapes, but I'm more interested in the cultural side of things, e.g. if there are monasteries I could visit, etc. Nepal/Tibet sound like a good alternative option, but I'm less sure of safety (by which I'm mainly concerned about my DSLR) and ease of moving about. Is it similar to Bhutan minus the expense? (I haven't been to Bhutan, but have loved reading trip reports on it!)
Japan/Korea would be the easy option in as far as the aforementioned aspects are concerned, but obviously more pricey.
Appreciate input from anyone who's been to above places--mainly your general impression of what the travel experience was like (e.g. if the highlight was cultural versus natural, etc).
Mongolia versus Nepal/Tibet versus Japan/Korea
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Yikes! How to get a Visa to India??
- 2 Need a guide in Burma?
- 3 Angkor Wat tour guide recommedations
- 4 We recommend our Seoul serviced apartment
- 5 Crossing Myanmar with own car (Thailand -> India) in Aug or Sep 2014
- 6 Vietnam Part 7 - the Final Leg
- 7 itinerary sri lanka please help
- 8 Travelling with 3 yr old; please comment on 10 day itinerary
- 9 Sri Lanka - Itinerary Ideas?
- 10 RHKKMKs---Just to be copy cats
- 11 End Oct & early Nov a good time for viewing wildlife in Borneo?
- 12 Japan and Hong Kong, September 2014
- 13 One Week in Beijing, what would you do?
- 14 What to pack? For Burma and Thailand
- 15 Help with Myanmar Itinerary 15 nights
- 16 Bangkok/Phuket hotel and suggestions to do?
- 17 How safe is it for US Citizens in Hat Yai and Violence in Southern Thailand
- 18 Thailand - what to wear in November, and, cosmetics
- 19 Xian - Make your own warriors?
- 20 Kyoto and beyond - 9 days trip in April 2014
- 21 Japan & Korea - A little of this, a little of that
- 22 Vietnam Visa on Arrival - Help
- 23 Overnight trek to Mine Thauk Village?
- 24 Elephants and Tigers (no bears), oh my.
- 25 Belated 2012 Trip Report - Two Weeks in South Korea