I need some input from fellow travelers. I was initially on going to Rajastan in about two months time for three weeks, but because of some unavoidable issues have had to choose an alternative destination at the last minute for dates that I can't change.
I'm interested in cultural destinations (spiritual, ethnic, historical, but not contemporary) and was thinking of an Asian destination and have narrowed it down to Mongolia, Nepal/Tibet, and Japan/Korea.
I'm young and like travel independently. Mongolia in particular I'm not sure where to start with--most reports mention natural landscapes, but I'm more interested in the cultural side of things, e.g. if there are monasteries I could visit, etc. Nepal/Tibet sound like a good alternative option, but I'm less sure of safety (by which I'm mainly concerned about my DSLR) and ease of moving about. Is it similar to Bhutan minus the expense? (I haven't been to Bhutan, but have loved reading trip reports on it!)
Japan/Korea would be the easy option in as far as the aforementioned aspects are concerned, but obviously more pricey.
Appreciate input from anyone who's been to above places--mainly your general impression of what the travel experience was like (e.g. if the highlight was cultural versus natural, etc).
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Italy from an Asian base
- 2 Another South East Asian sojourn.
- 3 Japan SIM / Phone Data Options
- 4 2 weeks in Java
- 5 2 Weeks in Japan July 2016
- 6 Shinkansen (Bullet Train) Kyoto-Tokyo---Step by step process
- 7 Delhi, India Hotels/Guest Houses
- 8 Handeda to Narita airports, train or bus?
- 9 My new 10 year china visa
- 10 20 Days In Japan: We survived Sakura!
- 11 Hotel with easy access to Itami airport
- 12 Bitchu-Matsuyama Castle Visit
- 13 5 days in Tokyo, late June with pregnant wife
- 14 Impulse 8-day trip to China - questions
- 15 suggestions for 2nd time to Vietnam itinerary
- 16 Bags are packed for Bangkok!
- 17 Update on riding elephants
- 18 Our really quite big adventure, Act 2: a short intermission in Hong Kong
- 19 SOUTHEAST ASIA 6 WEEKS
- 20 Medical Trip Insurance: To Buy Or Not To Buy
- 21 NYT article on Bangkok's River of Kings
- 22 Thailand 1st time - June travel
- 23 Thai Airways International Layover: Baggage Recheck?
- 24 What's the best city to travel in Southeast Asia in a short period of time?
- 25 Best Place To Visit in Delhi