I hope I don't get busted by the moderators for posting a general topic on the Asia board, but since 1) I travel almost exclusively to Asia, and 2) there are so many smart posters here, I thought I would give it a go.
Anyway, I fess up. I have never bought trip insurance, mainly because our family always travels on mileage awards, and generally, we stay at hotels with refundable deposits. However, I feel that I am pushing my luck with the medical gap between our family policy (US), and any emergencies that may occur. I called our health insurer, and I got a vague answer about helicopters and such being covered, but there is no provision for me flying home earlier than expected.
So my question to you, is: What kind of medical coverage does travel insurance cover that a US health insurance policy does not? Is it possible to get only medical coverage, and not coverage for flights and hotels?
Thanks a bunch. I am headed to Poland and Romania in September, which is my first trip out of Asia in ages. I need coverage in case I get trampled by sheep in Romania.
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 2 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 3 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 4 Kerala trip
- 5 Trip Report : China
- 6 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 7 A great trip in India
- 8 Japan GTG, early April
- 9 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 10 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 11 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 12 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 13 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama
- 14 Beijing tours
- 15 Tour Agency Recommendation
- 16 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 17 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 18 Takayama trail, Japan
- 19 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 20 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 21 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 22 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 23 On the road again - to Incredible India.
- 24 Cambodia to Vietnam e-visa image format
- 25 Nakasendo Walk: Some help please