I like to read these forums and did contribute now and then while I was living in Austria, but I managed to forget my username, so I'm a (nearly) brand new user again. I now live in Zagreb, Croatia, so if someone has questions about this part of Europe, I'd be glad to help.
My daughter, who is currently in Thailand, on the island of Koh Lipe, managed to have her tablet PC and camera stolen. She will be travelling by ferry in a few days to Kuah (Langkawi islands, Malaysia), then by train from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, on her way to Melbourne, Sydney and eventually Hobart, Tasmania.
She is on a rather tight budget, but would definitely like to buy a new tablet pc and camera. She's booking hostels and checking timetables on the go, having only a fixed date for the flight from Singapore, and it's way more complicated for her to have to find public - access computers.
Finally, to my (our) questions:
1) Does anyone know about shopping on Langkawi, which is a duty free area and how it compares to prices in Singapore?
2) What would you suggest wearing in public in Malaysia in general, it being a predominantly Moslem country. My daughter is 25, travels alone and usually wears very light (it's pretty hot at the moment in Thailand / Malaysia) clothes, short skirts and tops.
We'll be most grateful for any suggestions (I'm well aware our questions are a bit off-topic, but she has no problems getting around)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Escort Services in Gurugram | 8826458966 | Gurgaon
- 2 Itinerary Help Japan
- 3 Connection time in Bangkok on separate tickets
- 4 A hungry mouse's (very sweaty) adventures in the Land of the Rising Sun
- 5 A week exploring Hong Kong & Shanghai
- 6 Hong Kong - Tian Tan Buddha
- 7 Across Vietnam - Travel Guide
- 8 November, March, June... Japan?
- 9 Vietnam/Cambodia itinerary
- 10 Japanese Alps, JR option, Kamakura - more advice gratefully accepted!
- 11 Sri Lanka planning - advice sought.
- 12 Silk Road Tour - China
- 13 Family trip to Japan in November '17
- 14 Will 3.5 hours be enough for int’l to domestic transfer in Beijing?
- 15 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 16 Canggu Surfing - Learn to surf advice
- 17 coastal Central Vietnam (Hoi An and Hue) trip report
- 18 Thailand Visa Concern for Stay Over 30 Days
- 19 Yunnan Province, China, Trip Report: May 26-June 10, 2017
- 20 Car and driver agra to jaipur
- 21 12 days in Thailand itinerary
- 22 Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos
- 23 Japan rail pass: 7 or 14 days? Itinerary set
- 24 The best time for hiking in Yakushima
- 25 Trekking & Camping at Nagalapuram
Malaysia (Kuah, Langkawi) or Singapore - a shopping and dress code question