I like to read these forums and did contribute now and then while I was living in Austria, but I managed to forget my username, so I'm a (nearly) brand new user again. I now live in Zagreb, Croatia, so if someone has questions about this part of Europe, I'd be glad to help.
My daughter, who is currently in Thailand, on the island of Koh Lipe, managed to have her tablet PC and camera stolen. She will be travelling by ferry in a few days to Kuah (Langkawi islands, Malaysia), then by train from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, on her way to Melbourne, Sydney and eventually Hobart, Tasmania.
She is on a rather tight budget, but would definitely like to buy a new tablet pc and camera. She's booking hostels and checking timetables on the go, having only a fixed date for the flight from Singapore, and it's way more complicated for her to have to find public - access computers.
Finally, to my (our) questions:
1) Does anyone know about shopping on Langkawi, which is a duty free area and how it compares to prices in Singapore?
2) What would you suggest wearing in public in Malaysia in general, it being a predominantly Moslem country. My daughter is 25, travels alone and usually wears very light (it's pretty hot at the moment in Thailand / Malaysia) clothes, short skirts and tops.
We'll be most grateful for any suggestions (I'm well aware our questions are a bit off-topic, but she has no problems getting around)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 US : AOL Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:888:482:3831 AOL MAIL 24*7
- 2 Mount Koya
- 3 Idiotic time zone question
- 4 Japan travel during Obon 2017
- 5 Please critique my revised itinerary- July 2017
- 6 Twin rooms in Japan
- 7 My Japan Travels - Follow-along with me
- 8 Ending another Asia trip in seattle
- 9 trying to fathom Chinese train travel
- 10 Sometahing is wrong
- 11 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 12 sri lanka- tips required
- 13 base bangkok or manilla
- 14 Christmas in the Alps
- 15 Change my Itinerary?
- 16 New Vietnam eVisa service
- 17 6 weeks in Nepal, Bhutan, Borneo and more...
- 18 Palawan / Marshall Law... should we be concerned?
- 19 4 weeks trip to South East Asia
- 20 Central Asia: Itinerary Advice
- 21 Where to from Tokyo?!
- 22 Impressions of India
- 23 Sri Lanka Association looking for volunteer
- 24 India - remnants of the British Raj
- 25 Hanoi, Vietnam 1 week
Malaysia (Kuah, Langkawi) or Singapore - a shopping and dress code question