I like to read these forums and did contribute now and then while I was living in Austria, but I managed to forget my username, so I'm a (nearly) brand new user again. I now live in Zagreb, Croatia, so if someone has questions about this part of Europe, I'd be glad to help.
My daughter, who is currently in Thailand, on the island of Koh Lipe, managed to have her tablet PC and camera stolen. She will be travelling by ferry in a few days to Kuah (Langkawi islands, Malaysia), then by train from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, on her way to Melbourne, Sydney and eventually Hobart, Tasmania.
She is on a rather tight budget, but would definitely like to buy a new tablet pc and camera. She's booking hostels and checking timetables on the go, having only a fixed date for the flight from Singapore, and it's way more complicated for her to have to find public - access computers.
Finally, to my (our) questions:
1) Does anyone know about shopping on Langkawi, which is a duty free area and how it compares to prices in Singapore?
2) What would you suggest wearing in public in Malaysia in general, it being a predominantly Moslem country. My daughter is 25, travels alone and usually wears very light (it's pretty hot at the moment in Thailand / Malaysia) clothes, short skirts and tops.
We'll be most grateful for any suggestions (I'm well aware our questions are a bit off-topic, but she has no problems getting around)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Vietnam for 14 days help to find travel company
- 2 Planning First Family Trip to Japan - Advice Needed!
- 3 Narita Airport to Shinjuku
- 4 Other than Kyoto?
- 5 Beijing tours
- 6 Advice needed from Japan train pros
- 7 Trip Report : China
- 8 Pandaw-up the Chindwin TR
- 9 HK to Beijing for 3 weeks- mid March to early April- itinerary help please!
- 10 A great trip in India
- 11 Japan GTG, early April
- 12 Googling to going...to Gujarat!
- 13 Hong Kong and Angkor Wat
- 14 A Netflix series for those who enjoy Tokyo
- 15 Cherry Blossom season Mount Fuji area
- 16 Tokyo - Kamakura - Yokohama
- 17 Tour Agency Recommendation
- 18 Goodbye, Carol Simpson
- 19 Honest opinion needed about Thailand
- 20 Takayama trail, Japan
- 21 Hotels near Takefu Train Station
- 22 1 day itinerary in Busan
- 23 Trip report : Annapurna Circuit October 2016
- 24 Japan - Will We Get Lost?
- 25 On the road again - to Incredible India.
Malaysia (Kuah, Langkawi) or Singapore - a shopping and dress code question