I like to read these forums and did contribute now and then while I was living in Austria, but I managed to forget my username, so I'm a (nearly) brand new user again. I now live in Zagreb, Croatia, so if someone has questions about this part of Europe, I'd be glad to help.
My daughter, who is currently in Thailand, on the island of Koh Lipe, managed to have her tablet PC and camera stolen. She will be travelling by ferry in a few days to Kuah (Langkawi islands, Malaysia), then by train from Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, on her way to Melbourne, Sydney and eventually Hobart, Tasmania.
She is on a rather tight budget, but would definitely like to buy a new tablet pc and camera. She's booking hostels and checking timetables on the go, having only a fixed date for the flight from Singapore, and it's way more complicated for her to have to find public - access computers.
Finally, to my (our) questions:
1) Does anyone know about shopping on Langkawi, which is a duty free area and how it compares to prices in Singapore?
2) What would you suggest wearing in public in Malaysia in general, it being a predominantly Moslem country. My daughter is 25, travels alone and usually wears very light (it's pretty hot at the moment in Thailand / Malaysia) clothes, short skirts and tops.
We'll be most grateful for any suggestions (I'm well aware our questions are a bit off-topic, but she has no problems getting around)
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 Japan Trip Delayed
- 2 India for Softies : A slow comfortable tour around some of Northern India
- 3 Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia -feedback on draft itinerary please!
- 4 Month long SE Asia trip
- 5 Chinese New Year in Hong Kong
- 6 Questions re use of Japan Rail Pass and Kyoto itinerary
- 7 Fukuoka: Tenjin vs Hakata
- 8 The Not-All-Golden Road to Samarkand
- 9 Itinerary help - Thailand 9D8N in Nov'16
- 10 Cambodia weather
- 11 Trichy to Ooty Trip with My Family
- 12 Many Questions for 1st Japan Trip
- 13 Weekend Breaks from Singapore
- 14 Sad News: The Thai King has died
- 15 Vietnam Itinerary Input, The country is so LONG!
- 16 Real Experiences and Travel Agency in Southeast Asia to choose
- 17 5 nights in Kerala or Chennai?
- 18 Is 1 hr 10 min layover in Narita enough?
- 19 Vietnam to increase visa cost for Americans
- 20 Complete Asia Newbie - Phnom Penh Itinerary Ideas - Two Weeks
- 21 I Finally Wrote A Trip Report
- 22 Visa Question - Cambodia
- 23 first draft for Vietnam trip. Critique please
- 24 Amakusa island help
- 25 Japan 10 days Hiroshima or Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
Malaysia (Kuah, Langkawi) or Singapore - a shopping and dress code question